SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st April 2017, 22:40

Mood
Sad

Default Skin picking disorder

I've picked skin around my nails since I was a teenager. I didn't realise it was a condition associated with anxiety until tonight. When I'm extremely stressed I pick my skin, tear it off in strips which causes bleeding.

Does anyone else do this?
Old 2nd April 2017, 22:17

Mood
Sweettooth

Default Re: Skin picking disorder

My sister picks the skin around her nails.
i have a skin picking disorder but i compulsively pick the skin on my back, face and scalp. it makes my anxiety so much worse as i can completely ruin my skin. i try to hide what i do and im to ashamed and embarrased to get any help.
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:44

Mood
Tired

Yes, I do this too and have done since I was a child. I bite and pick at the skin around my nails, often to the point where my fingers bleed. I've done it for so long that some of my nails don't even grow properly anymore ***55357;***56862;
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:24

I pick off the ends of my fingernails. (the white bits you trim with a scissors).

Probably not what you're referring to though, I just do it that way instead of using a scissors. Always have done.
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:54

^ I do that. The skin seems to grow a bit excessively at the corners and can be cut back. I wouldn't consider it a problem though.

I used to work with a guy who, when idling, would nearly always be picking at his fingernails - i caught him a time or two going at them with a scapel! They looked so sore, often bloody, it must've hurt handling .. anything with them in that condition.
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:30

Mood
Blah

i've picked around my finger nails since i was about 10. it was probably at it's worst in my teens and early 20's, often bleeding. i still do it now but no where near to that level.
Old 3rd April 2017, 23:00

Mood
Tired

I compulsively pick at my scalp especially when I'm anxious , or when I'm just bored or pretty much any other time come to think of it. It feels good but my scalp gets red and sore and my shoulders are always covered in skin flakes.
Old 4th April 2017, 18:37

Mood
Lurking

Yes, Pick at my skin all the time and I also pick at my nails, they both end up down to the wick, sometimes I make the end of my fingers bleed. And I if I have a scab I cannot avoid picking at that, even though I know it will bleed.
Old 5th April 2017, 02:27

Mood
Lurking

Ah yes, the Impulse-Control Disorder, Dermatillomania. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dermati...roduction.aspx

I used to do this a lot when I was younger. I'd pick at anything.

I know plenty of people also have problems with another Impulse-Control Disorder, Trichotillomania, where they pull hair out of their scalp, body, eyebrows/lashes... I used to knot and pull out my chest hair.
Old 9th April 2017, 18:12

Mood
Sad

Thanks for all your posts everyone. I've been making a conscious effort to stop but I keep doing it without realising.