SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th March 2012, 00:57

Mood
Tired

Default How do you fit in?

I'm not usually one for going out and mixing with people. No matter who I'm with or where I go. I prefer my own company and for me that's where I can be myself.
I went out last night to a football game with a group of people I hardly know. I don't even like football and I hate being surrounded by lots of people so it was very uncomfortable for me. I only went because I felt I had to overcome my fears and hoped that I'd have a good time.
Having said that, I now regret it. It was an awful experience and I just sat there quietly watching the game feeling left out. Its my own fault. I'm just quiet and get very anxious around people, especially sitting close to people I don't even know. I even heard someone comment on how quiet I was, asking if I was ok. I was honest and told them I get anxious around large groups of people, feeling like everyone is watching me. They didn't really know what to say to that.
It made think that the people I was with wasn't my sort of crowd. I hardly knew them but I still wanted to fit in. I just didn't know how.
I felt bad because I could see a few people were trying to get me involved in conversation but half of the time I found myself struggling with what to say and I found most subjects boring.
Is it me or the people I'm with? Maybe it's both.

It has put me off going out again. It's not the first time this has happened, this is what it's like most times I go out and has been for years.
I'm fed up of trying. I've accepted myself for who I am and I don't think I will ever change.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:04

Mood
Procrastinating

Default Re: How do you fit in?

I hate football! i really do, i think how i am put me off the game at a young age as the shouting, general rowdiness of football fans is completely the opposite to how i am, i to used to sit there and watch the game and not interact with anyone... especially when the team i was "supporting" scored and everyone got up and roared i'd just either get up and clap or stay sitting and just feel so self-concious.

Maybe it is the people you are trying to include yourself with, i think some people we will never fit in with, however much we try... it isnt there fault or ours, its just the way it is. The problem is however more extroverted confident people can sift through different people quite easily where as for me atleast its hard enough even being included in a group etc let alone saying "your not for me" and looking elsewhere.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:15

Mood
Tired

Exactly how I feel. And thanks.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:16

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotr
I hate football! i really do, i think how i am put me off the game at a young age as the shouting, general rowdiness of football fans is completely the opposite to how i am, i to used to sit there and watch the game and not interact with anyone... especially when the team i was "supporting" scored and everyone got up and roared i'd just either get up and clap or stay sitting and just feel so self-concious.

Maybe it is the people you are trying to include yourself with, i think some people we will never fit in with, however much we try... it isnt there fault or ours, its just the way it is. The problem is however more extroverted confident people can sift through different people quite easily where as for me atleast its hard enough even being included in a group etc let alone saying "your not for me" and looking elsewhere.
Well our team did score and I was the only one who stayed in my seat lol
I did feel a bit stupid but oh well.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:38
Banned

Mood
Angelic

This might sound odd but I was always able to "appear" to fit in and be well liked,people would always ask me to come out and do stuff with them or hang around with their group of friends.
Old 8th March 2012, 03:18

Mood
Mellow

even though i hate football, i enjoyed going 2 a game with the family once.

it was way too long though, so i asked them to leave early.
(nobody cared because we were losing the game anyway).

generally i don't care if i ever see another game, or concert, or live-show.
i hate getting ready to go, packing stuff, being uncomfortable, ect.

therefore i just need to find someone who likes staying home, as i do.
(actually, i prefer my solitude so whoever i'm with would have to
leave for work daily, or i couldn't stand him 4 very long!!...lol)
Old 8th March 2012, 22:39

I think football games attract a rowdy, very laddish crowd, so unless you're like that, unlikely if you've got social anxiety, you're not going to fit in. Certainly in my experience and when going to the pub etc. to watch a game anyway. Definitely prefer watching it in the comfort of my own home.

I don't think I've ever really fitted in anywhere. That might be just because of my social anxiety and how I'm always feeling awkward so I can't really be open and myself though. I don't really do myself any favours by being an observer rather than a participator.
Old 8th March 2012, 22:53

Mood
Alienated

god knows where i fit in ..i suppose a few geeky groups

im only prepared to attend things i want to attend..i cant stand sport so a night out watching a football game would be my idea of torture..i cant think of any reason id be prepared to do it

i think people should just do what they want to do..and if that means spending more time alone because they prefer it..then so what?