Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th March 2010, 08:54

Mood
Alienated

Default How do you find work???

Hi,
I'm in my 30s & am a full time mum, but we're really struggling financially & the only way to solve that is for me to find some work when my kids are a bit older & in school.
I've never had a career because of my sa & feel very old to be looking for work, & worried about having had mental health problems. Has anyone else looked for work after being unemployed?? Has anyone found any help to look for work, from any mental health charities or anything?? I feel pretty miserable about it, as if I can't find something I'll be letting my kids down.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:46

Mood
Gloomy

Default Re: How do you find work???

Hi

When I was out of work for about 3 years, it was hard find one which would fit in.
In the end, my mum heard they needed a cleaner in the theatres at the local hospital. I went for it, got the job, and worked 2.5 hours m-f.
I was mostly working alone, so it was fine, and bought in a wage.

Once my eldest was at school, I got a P/T job in a shop to fit in with school hours. (10-2). On school hols I simply worked sat and sunday....

Is there anything you could do from home? Like start selling or something?
Do you have any hobbies you turn into a money making venture?

When I left to have my 2nd child, I knew I wasnt going to go back there. I went all entreprenurial!

I was a virtual secretary for a while, and then I made websites for people. Then I got into cardmaking, and started selling them....which led me to ebay, and I started selling clothes and shoes (which I still do), but now I have my own website for the shoes...

Do you do surveys?
They can be very tedius, and dont bring in loads of money, but the money you do earn can and does mount up eventually. I tend to convert mine to high street or e-vouchers, and use them for the kids presents for birthdays and xmas....

Sadie
Old 31st March 2010, 13:49

http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Y.../dp/1580086152

There is a section on this book about how to find work and it is amazing and written in such simple language and helped me find tons of work. All the advice I could ever give you comes from this book.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:16

Mood
Alienated

Thankyou both very much

What do you mean by surveys Sadie? Is it something you can do online?

I don't feel like I've any confidence to be entreprenurial! But I don't know who would take me on at my age, with poor skills & that would fit in with the childrens schooling. Still, I've got 2 years before my littliest starts school, so I'm hoping that'll give me time to get some skills....if I had an idea what kind of employment I could get.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:24

Mood
Thinking

Smile Re: How do you find work???

Hi - I had exactly the same problem and used to get really depressed about it. I have alot of qualifications but my mental health held me back. I decided just to do ANY job and ended up getting a part-time cleaning job. At first I thought oh my god I'm 37 and cleaning AND I've got a degree, BUT once I got into it (i nearly quit in the first week, like I usually do when I start a new job - but carried on, and it's OK. It's not GREAT, but I have decided to carry on with it and start a course at a local college and carry on with my studies. It's good just to be doing something rather than nothing, and the money is not bad either - and there's ALWAYS cleaning jobs advertised on Job Centre Plus website. The Job Centre Plus website: www.jobcentreplus.com is actually quite helpful. At first I dreaded having to go to the job centre, but all the staff were really nice and my personal advisor was very understanding of my mental health issues. Having a job is also good because then you've got a reference for when it's time to move onto bigger and better things. Hope I been of help. Good luck.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:15

Mood
Alienated

Thanks sadsam. I've had a quick look at the website, & it is helpful. There does seem more help (as in a lot of things) for people in receipt of benefit, but I think it's a starting point, & you're right about references..that's something else I've been worried about as it's over 4 years since my last job & although my last employer offered to give me a reference, I didn't need one at the time as I was pregnant & have long since lost touch with them.
What are you studying sadsam?
Old 31st March 2010, 21:31

I just remembered this site as well, they help people find work:

http://www.remploy.co.uk/jobseekers.ashx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remploy
Remploy is one of the UK's leading providers of employment services and employment to people with disabilities and complex barriers to work.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:28

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubs
Thankyou both very much

What do you mean by surveys Sadie? Is it something you can do online?.

Hi yes, they just come through via email - occasionally by post - and u just fill them out. Could be about anything, altho women tend to get more as they often do the shopping and most of the childcare!

You never have to pay to sign up. They pay you for your time.

If you want any links, let me know, and I'll try and put a little list together.
Old 2nd April 2010, 23:02

Mood
Alienated

oh thankyou, that's really kind. Any extra income would be a help xx
Old 7th April 2010, 00:36

Mood
Pensive

I was very lacking in confidence when I returned to work after a long gap. I had learned to type which helped and computer skills are also useful for a number of jobs. If you know what you want to do blubs it might help you decide what course to take. There might even be courses which specifically help you to return to work.
Closed Thread