SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th February 2013, 23:30

Default Re: Do you actually like who you are ? I think I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1984
Thanks for sharing that Black Mamba, its how i have been walking round for the last 10 or so years, wonder how many blue skin folked i passed, not something i ever thought of. Thanks!
Are you a blue too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda
No, it's far, far more embarrassing than that. One sauk member knows but he is sworn to silence!
Ah OK. Am just being nosy. I have a slight thing for bricks. Picked up a small booklet about artistic brickwork from a museum last year and found it weirdly interesting. Now everytime I see fancy brickwork on a building I ham it up and pretend I'm getting all excited to make my bf laugh. Except I'm starting to think I really am a brick nerd.

I'll just assume you're into bricks too.
Old 18th February 2013, 23:34

It's all about the love/hate with me. I'd accept a balance. Go equality.
Old 18th February 2013, 23:38

^ I very much like brickwork too. Also quite into roof tiles. We are going a bit off topic so I think this had better be my last post on the subject. I think I may as well just admit it- I collect old teddies and I have a scary amount of them.
Old 19th February 2013, 08:12
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda
I think I may as well just admit it- I collect old teddies and I have a scary amount of them.
I collect old toys from my childhood (80's). I also have some creepy dolls
Old 19th February 2013, 09:45

^ Why am I not surprised?
Old 19th February 2013, 09:47

Mood
Balanced

I think so.....I'm certainly getting better at liking who I am.

Doesn't everyone struggle with that mind when they make the transition from a child to a teenager to an adult? It just takes some people alot longer to grow fond of who they are.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:56
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard_Egan
^ Why am I not surprised?
Old 19th February 2013, 09:57

^^You're right. It is a struggle. Although, I think my transition from teenager to adult got stuck half way through and is now jumping like a broken record. I'm still kinda waiting to grow up.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:58

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymruambyth23
It just takes some people alot longer to grow fond of who they are.
How long do you give yourself but just accepting you dont like yourself. Personally i would rather just admit it to myself then cling onto some hope that one day ill wake and think I'm outstanding/great/nice/super duper person
Old 19th February 2013, 10:04
Banned at own request

Quote:
^^You're right. It is a struggle. Although, I think my transition from teenager to adult got stuck half way through and is now jumping like a broken record. I'm still kinda waiting to grow up.
This! Though I'm no longer convinced that I want to
Old 19th February 2013, 10:12

Mood
Balanced

The one key part of the transition from teenager to adult that I haven't quite got the hang of is Independence.

Can still be quite child like in this respect. I guess though when you think i'm 23 still and I have cousins in their 30's who behave like their 14 still.

I shouldn't be too hard on myself that I haven't quite got this independence issue at a satisfactory conclusion yet.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:14
Banned at own request

Growing up is overrated
Old 19th February 2013, 10:23

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
How long do you give yourself but just accepting you dont like yourself. Personally i would rather just admit it to myself then cling onto some hope that one day ill wake and think I'm outstanding/great/nice/super duper person
I think if you work at it enough and seek the advice, help and guidance of others you could become content with who you are in a matter of years. I'm not saying people have to think their the greatest guy/girl on earth or anything over the top like that.

I just want people to be comfortable in their own skin confident enough with who they are as a person and learn that actually you know what I do have something to offer in life. I am not going to let these negative thoughts defeat me.

I agree with you negative thoughts and perceptions of yourself will make it harder to progress in certain aspects of your life. (Just the world we live in)

Just two examples here:

How can you love others if you don't love yourself?

How can you talk about the positive aspects of your character or skills when trying to obtain a job if you think you don't have any?

(Now yes 'selling yourself' is a hard thing to do but sadly employers when looking for staff don't have much sympathy for you if your struggling to accept who you are as a person)
Old 19th February 2013, 10:30

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey
Growing up is overrated
It sucks I know....sometimes I just wish I lived in my own little bubble comfortable for the rest of my living existence isolated from lifes problems and concerns but to make progress for yourself in life you have to give it a try. Well I have to try at my age certainly haha.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:31

Quote:
Growing up is overrated
Indeed. Once you go all the way, there is no going back. Peter Pan for PM.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:34

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Indeed. Once you go all the way, there is no going back. Peter Pan for PM.
And I'd like for Donald Duck (use to love Donald Duck) to be my next door neighbour rather than the Dick Dastardly we currently have.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:43

Mood
Balanced

I listen to songs like this when i'm in a somber mood about things and suddenly and think woahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Bob Marley is right!
Old 19th February 2013, 10:46

Mood
Sad

Quote:
How can you love others if you don't love yourself?
I would say easily, i don't think being able to love yourself has any baring on loving others. I have loved folk i the past and love folk now, i have a little daughter who is my world.

I would take a gamble and say that most people don't love themselves.

Quote:
How can you talk about the positive aspects of your character or skills when trying to obtain a job if you think you don't have any?
I just repeat what others tell me, my mother wrote my CV so its actually very good but if i ever get into a job interview situation i would just repeat what folk have told me over the years from other jobs, good time keeping, good organisational skills, just ride the bullshit tidal wave.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:53

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
I would say easily, i don't think being able to love yourself has any baring on loving others. I have loved folk i the past and love folk now, i have a little daughter who is my world.

I would take a gamble and say that most people don't love themselves.

I just repeat what others tell me, my mother wrote my CV so its actually very good but if i ever get into a job interview situation i would just repeat what folk have told me over the years from other jobs, good time keeping, good organisational skills, just ride the bullshit tidal wave.
I just found in my circumstances that my inability to like/love myself was one of the major causes of my last relationship ending so I get this perception now that if your not content or confident in yourself enough then it can make things like having a relationship more difficult.

I see your point definitely as actually thinking about this if your talking about a relative, a close friend or a son/daughter that kind of love for them is more unconditional love it has no boundaries so anybody is capable of displaying this for close people in your life.

Yeah we do all have to bull shit a little and exaggerate in job interviews as we're in competiton but I think having a healthy/rounded/content opinion of ourselves before hand and in general is good when approaching these kind of challenges.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:55

Quote:
And I'd like for Donald Duck (use to love Donald Duck) to be my next door neighbour rather than the Dick Dastardly we currently have.
I don't know when the last time you watched Donal Duck was but I'm afraid to say he is on the grumpy side. An improvement on Dick Dastardly sure but he would still be a pain to live next door to. And those bloody nephews of his would be on your lawn daily.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:12

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
I don't know when the last time you watched Donal Duck was but I'm afraid to say he is on the grumpy side. An improvement on Dick Dastardly sure but he would still be a pain to live next door to. And those bloody nephews of his would be on your lawn daily.
Awww no that's very true I can picture him now from the past in one of his grumpy moments now you've said that.

I guess because I think of him admirably I became blinkered and believed he had no real negative side to him.

Well I wouldn't mind the nephews. I say that now.

Penelope Pitstop would be nice to live next door to just for the view and a damsel in distress is always an opportunity for any man to be the hero.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:16

lol. Yeah, Miss Pitstop would be cool to have around. Why don't we go all the way and have Penelope and Jessica Rabbit as roomies?

I love that you thought 'admirably' of Donald. He does have 'status' in the magic kingdom. One of the elder statesmen.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:29

Mood
Balanced

^^ Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Now you're talking.....I think my tongue just came right out my mouth and love hearts appeared in my eyes. Haha

I don't know how you could better that!

He is very much one of the elder statesmen in the cartoon world and has a very high status in my magic kingdom. Bugs Bunny is up there.....Porky Pig.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:45

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba
It's difficult to have that when you've no luck and have had countless rejections, it's hard to believe in yourself. I have an interview in less than 3 hours and I don't feel confident at all and I feel as though they're only interviewing me to make up their numbers. And before you say, I've not even been selected for interview in countless positions before, that were almost identical to this one. It's hard to convince yourself that this will be any different in the end.

I feel I need to have a big positive thing to happen to kickstart my life and improve my opinion of myself, but hell I've been waiting for that for a long time.
I just think for example your interview this afternoon. You did brilliantly to get an interview imo. I bet that you got the interview where as maybe hundreds of other applicants didn't get an interview at all. So you should feel positive about that.

That's fair enough. Constant rejection is a very negative experience and can do alot of damage to somebody's confidence and will make it hard for people to keep going. It's not impossible to keep going some people find the experience of rejection motivates them even more to escape their current situation.

It's very much an individual thing.

For me getting help and seeking advice was a big positive thing to happen to me which helped kickstart things again and improved my opinion of myself.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:45

Quote:
^^ Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Now you're talking.....I think my tongue just came right out my mouth and love hearts appeared in my eyes. Haha

I don't know how you could better that!

He is very much one of the elder statesmen in the cartoon world and has a very high status in my magic kingdom. Bugs Bunny is up there.....Porky Pig.
Old 19th February 2013, 13:22
Banned at own request

Quote:
Growing up is overrated
I can't wait till I grow up though at least I do what I want more instead of being told what I should do, what is important and blah, blah, blah by ppl who don't relate to me much.

But ageing is not a pleasant experience apart from more beard growth.