SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th October 2017, 20:25

Mood
Mellow

Default Never knowing what to say

Hi all

So I never know what to say in conversation with anyone, whether it's at work or at home with friends or family. It's like the anxious thoughts have gotten so bad that I can't actually begin to think coherently about what I'm going to say. It's all muddled up like a jigsaw puzzle.

Even on the Internet, such as WhatsApp, this is actually one of the worst times, because I feel pressure to write something back after reading the message I can't detract myself from these paranoid, anxious thoughts so sometimes the other person is waiting for ages whilst I'm having a mind battle trying to write a simple sentence. It's like having an internal dialogue, telling you that you should be entertaining and interesting at all times.

Basically conversations never flow, whether it's in real life or via messaging, there's too much analysing going on, it makes for awkward social interactions and thoughts of losing one's mind. Not connecting with people just gets to the point where it's unbearable.

Is there anybody that can relate to this? Would you have any suggestions, even if it's medication that helped you, would be interested to know. Just anything that might help calm things down a little.

Thanks for reading
Old 4th October 2017, 21:06

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Never knowing what to say

Haha thanks biscuits
Old 4th October 2017, 21:42

Mood
Lonely

You have just summed me up too, unfortunately i cant offer any advice, When i do get stuck having to talk with somebody what usually comes out of my mouth isnt a sentence but rather a mumbled Huh, like a polite laugh or yeah i know or something on those lines. So not much to offer when it comes to having much of a personality, nothing pops in for something to say and its annoying ha.
Old 4th October 2017, 21:57

Maybe this comes from a combination of anxiety plus the perfectionism that often goes with SA.

I know someone who did amateur dramatics and when it came to improvisation he was told:

1. Never block the other person, always try to give them something to work with. You need to focus more on helping them than on what you say yourself. E.g. if they say I***8217;m a Martian, don***8217;t say no you***8217;re not, or how exciting, say something like how did you get here, what***8217;s it like there.

2. Never try to be clever or original. Once you relax and just go with the flow then maybe something interesting will emerge in a natural way. (Or maybe not, as in most conversations).

I know this advice wasn***8217;t for normal conversation but hope maybe it will help.
Old 5th October 2017, 07:59

Mood
Sweettooth

Yes, I'm the same never know what to say, over think it too much and then if I do speak end up speaking a load of jumbled gobbldigook. Sorry I can't offer any advice, it's just one of the many things I'm trying to work through myself. Just know you aren't the only one.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:57

^ very good advice. My trouble is I'm so stressed over what to say next that even when letting the other person talk I'm not fully concentrating on what they are saying. Then I will ask them something that they've just told me. Feeling so totally socially inept really is a pain in the bottom. I'm also great at asking stupid questions. I recently asked a young girl I know how many boyfriends she had! What???? What was I thinking of?! She incredulously replied 'only the one!' And I wished the floor would open up! I can't get past the stress of feeling I'm constantly being analysed for how I look and what I say and that I fail miserably in both departments. When asked to give an opinion on something my opinion is always vastly different to everyone else's and I'm made to feel like I should have kept my mouth shut. Gregarious is right, the more time spent having conversation the more natural it should become but all I've discovered is that it re-affirms my conviction that I shouldn't bother.
Old 5th October 2017, 10:44

[QUOTE=gregarious_introvert;2338698]Most SAUK'ers don't indicate where they're based/QUOTE] Yes - I can never understand that - why not give at least some idea where you live - even just the county. It might encourage other people to suggest a meet-up etc.
Old 6th October 2017, 19:26

Mood
Tired

Hi Nick, I relate to this very much
Quote:
It's like having an internal dialogue, telling you that you should be entertaining and interesting at all times.
It's this, it' that idea that everything you say has got to be witty and entertaining and the pressure to be so.

It looks like there's two things going on here. First the anxiety related to the above making your mind go blank and throwing you. Secondly, it's likely that you're falling into the pattern of giving one-word or limited answers.

I agree with Aelwyn, especially regarding giving people something to work with. If someone shares information with you or tells you about their day, what they do etc. ask them an open question about it. It's highly likely that you might find this difficult in situations where you feel anxious.

If you frequently finding yourself replying to to people's conversations with things such as 'how exciting', 'good' or anything like that, it might be an idea to look at alternative ways you could respond, what could you ask about the other person? Then practice in situations where the anxiety is most mild.
Old 6th October 2017, 20:21

Mood
Lurking

^
Agree regarding open questions. This was one of the first things we were taught in counselling. Asking questions that can be answered with a yes or no do not make for a flowing conversation, but open questions do. It's a small thing, but it can make a world of difference.
Old 11th October 2017, 00:27

Nick, let‘s talk on the phone. It‘ll be the most awkward conversation you‘ve had.
Old 12th October 2017, 20:06

Mood
Daring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious_Introvert
(...) but SAUK meets (or SA meetup groups etc.) would be a good way to get conversational practice (...) (don't forget Nottingham on 22nd October - or Manchester on the same date if you're closer to the North West)?
Wow! I would very much like to meet on October 22 in Manchester. Who do I contact about this and where can I find information about SAUK-organised meet ups?
Old 13th October 2017, 00:36

Story of my life! I actually have so much I could write about this but it will frustrate me just thinking about it. I have messed up in life and with potential friends so much because of this. My mind goes soo blank as soon as I have to talk to a human. It gets so difficult to even come up with a simple sentence. Even if I do have something to say, I stutter, really bad and my voice goes weird and I feel out of breath after 2-3 words.
There is a guy I recently met who is really sweet and he tried talking to me a few times, and I reallyyy wanted to have a good conversation with him but I just can't seem to I can just seem to say yes/no or one or two words. After the basic topics, it seems like there is nothing left to talk about. And I seem to end a topic so quickly with my pathetic extremely short responses. I feel even the most talkative person in the world will feel awkward talking to me.

Nothing has seemed to help me and I don't think anything ever will. I am defeated both ways - if I can somehow think of something to say I will stutter and find it physically so difficult to speak, and if not that, then my mind would be completely blank and I would have nothing to say.