SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th February 2013, 23:21
Banned at own request

Default Should tell my gp I have SA

I've probably made a thread like this before.

I want to overcome my SA so I can be happier and much more progressive in life and experience it more. BUT I'm against me taking medication, I know others don't mind but I don't want to take meds. I only want to see if I can get therapy cause obviously my SA is not improving at the moment and the environment I'm in really isn't making it easy to deal with SA.

I don't know my gp's as I never go to them. I am not certain i'll go but I might try. The problem with taking the first steps is that somehow my mind sometimes says I don't ned help but tbh this SA is spoiling my life. And idk if SA would be taken seriously.
Old 10th February 2013, 23:28

Mood
Pensive

Default Re: Should tell my gp I have SA

yes i did the other day infact and he was helful and putting me in touch with mental health team He offered me medication but i didnt want them. I just told him how it was ruining my life and having no friends and not being able to fit in at work and being anxious around people everyday and he said well done to me, for telling him all of that. so they will help u
Old 10th February 2013, 23:46
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-ann
yes i did the other day infact and he was helful and putting me in touch with mental health team He offered me medication but i didnt want them. I just told him how it was ruining my life and having no friends and not being able to fit in at work and being anxious around people everyday and he said well done to me, for telling him all of that. so they will help u
Thats actually a big encouragement, thanks for the post. So I guess i'll book my gp through the reception, I don't have any credit on my mobile. But for the therapy to be effective I am gonna try remembering to not expect them to give me 100% help, I have to help myself.
Old 11th February 2013, 17:40
Banned at own request

So I've booked an appointment on thursday to see my gp on therapies I can do to help me overcome SA. I think the reason that discourages me from seeking help for SA is that I always feel I can overcome it without help and somehow my mind says the gp might not take it serious and my SA isn't too bad when I think of treatments like therapy.
Today I kind of reminded myself of the lack of healthy communication with others at college and the lack of friends I have and times I get nervous when some anti therapy thought came into my head.
Old 11th February 2013, 18:05
Banned at own request

Mood
Confused

Can I suggest a tactic that might help get the best out of your appointment? After all, when you've screwed-up the courage to go, you want to get the best out of it!

When you are feeling "strong" and able to look at your SA and any other issues objectively, you write a letter to your GP with the intention of handing it over to him at the appointment. Of course you don't have to hand it over if you're feeling OK, you can just use it as an aide memoire - but I did exactly this a fortnight ago with my Psychiatrist and it worked wonders. I am doing it on Friday with my GP (because I never ever get what I need from them*).

I've been seeing this psychiatrist for over a year, and this is the first time he got to see inside my head and how I really felt (it wasn't pretty).

*I'm 56, big and scary, been there, done that. But I'm like a whimpering fool when I see the GP. My letter to him starts like this:

"I am writing this to hand to you because it is my experience that

a) on entering the surgery I am immediately disempowered
b) I leave the surgery feeling unheard

There are four issues to address today ***8211; the receptionist was informed of this at the time I made the appointment. If there is time I would like to address a 5th issue:
Old 11th February 2013, 23:36
Banned at own request

What are your experiences of seeing a gp for SA?

Looking at some threads on SAS it seems likely that doctors prescribe meds for SA but I honestly don't want to take any meds I just want therapy. I feel mixed emotions about going now.
Old 11th February 2013, 23:38

Mood
Energetic

If its causing you significant difficulties then sure. Nothing wrong with asking for help
Old 12th February 2013, 00:26

They aren't going to put you on anything you are not comfortable on, if you are not comfortablecwith taking drugs, they will not force you to or treat you in any way, shape, or form negatively due to your personal preference. Remember, if you do say no to drugs you can always change your mind at a later date.

The point of going would to get treatment to suit you, so tell the what would/wouldn't suit you, it's their job ti cater to your needs, you have the problem and they need to solve it.
Old 12th February 2013, 01:25

Mood
Energetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermm... Yeh?
They aren't going to put you on anything you are not comfortable on, if you are not comfortablecwith taking drugs, they will not force you to or treat you in any way, shape, or form negatively due to your personal preference. Remember, if you do say no to drugs you can always change your mind at a later date.

The point of going would to get treatment to suit you, so tell the what would/wouldn't suit you, it's their job ti cater to your needs, you have the problem and they need to solve it.
qft. Your doctor cant force you into doing anything you are not comfortable with all. Decide which avenue you want to go to before you go and see the GP at all. Either therapy, medication or both depending on how incapable of living you are.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Confused

They won't prescribe medication if you don't want it. If you don't want it (and don't need it after having weighed up the pros and cons) don't take it.

But equally, don't fear it irrationally: it can help, and it's not addictive (apart from things like benzodiazepines (valium/diazepam, but they are rationed!).

NHS therapy probably has a LONG waiting list - mine was 18 months, but it varies a lot. You can buy private therapy but it's expensive, although some therapists deeply discount their rates for unwaged folk or people on low incomes.
Old 12th February 2013, 17:08
Banned at own request

18 months wait, that doesn't sound great, I don't mind if I don't go to uni this year though as I'm most focused on my well being. I have to start actually helping myself though and I think I can help myself with additional resourses. I am seeing this gp thing as a start to overcoming SA.
Old 12th February 2013, 17:12
Banned at own request

Mood
Confused

See what you did there I said "MINE was an 18 month wait but it varies a lot". Yours could be 3 months or 3 weeks
Old 12th February 2013, 17:39
Banned at own request

^ I wasnt betting mines would be an 18 months wait I was just considering if was to be. I've said this before but next time I get my bursary I am getting a self help book.
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:32
Banned at own request

So I've been booked to see a staff grade psychiatrist in May. But aren't pschiatrists the ones that talk about meds.

I asked for therapy, I dont want meds to help me.
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:19

Retep, where are you in London?

I am in London also and contacted my NHS Mental health team last August, I was accepted for treatment after speaking to a therapist on the phone and filling out a questionnaire. Yesterday I received the date for my first CBT appointment on the 15th March, so it's taken nearly 8 months wait.

But, there are alternatives, I know of 2 community counselling services that I was going to use, they charge per hour based on what you are able to pay, as it sounds like you aren't working or earning anything at the moment you'd only have to pay £10 per session. I know if you have no money at all this will still be an issue, but if you could beg, borrow or steal some cash(I don't really advocate theft), the wait to see someone would be much shorter. I got an appointment for an assessment in a couple of weeks, but something came up and I didn't go.

The 2 centres I know of are in Waterloo and Lewisham

http://www.waterloocc.co.uk/
http://www.lcandcta.co.uk/index.php

the Lewisham one is a centre for counsellor training, so you'd probably get a couple of people sitting in with you.

If these two are nowhere near you, there might be one local to you, do a bit of searching. The NHS wait is very frustrating, I actually chased them last month wondering whether I had been lost in the system, I spoke to the therapist who asked me when and what days were convienient for me, we agreed in the afternoons, the appointment I've got is for 11am in the morning, so straight away I feel like he hasn't listened to me, not a great start!

Best Luck!
Old 23rd February 2013, 19:59

Yes psychiatrists deal with the biological aspects (i.e. issue pills). My first session was with a psychiatrist, but they are still capable of diagnosing you. What I'd expect is likely is that the first appointment is just to diagnose you, get an idea of the problems you face, and which treatment procedures you'd be willing to engage in. Then they'll arrange relevant meetings for that.

The key point to remember is that the appointment is about you. If the doctors do not do what they should be doing, which is treating you with consideration of your preferences, then you should bring it up with them.

Doctors in London I'd imagine would be busy, the appointment time may have been as close to the afternoon as he/she could get.

Good luck, don't do what I did and feign being ok to get out of there and you'll be fine! :P

Last edited by Ermm... Yeh?; 23rd February 2013 at 20:02. Reason: Typing Error.
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:41
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarempee
Retep, where are you in London?

But, there are alternatives, I know of 2 community counselling services that I was going to use, they charge per hour based on what you are able to pay, as it sounds like you aren't working or earning anything at the moment you'd only have to pay £10 per session. I know if you have no money at all this will still be an issue, but if you could beg, borrow or steal some cash(I don't really advocate theft), the wait to see someone would be much shorter. I got an appointment for an assessment in a couple of weeks, but something came up and I didn't go.

The 2 centres I know of are in Waterloo and Lewisham

http://www.waterloocc.co.uk/
http://www.lcandcta.co.uk/index.php

the Lewisham one is a centre for counsellor training, so you'd probably get a couple of people sitting in with you.

If these two are nowhere near you, there might be one local to you, do a bit of searching. The NHS wait is very frustrating, I actually chased them last month wondering whether I had been lost in the system, I spoke to the therapist who asked me when and what days were convienient for me, we agreed in the afternoons, the appointment I've got is for 11am in the morning, so straight away I feel like he hasn't listened to me, not a great start!

Best Luck!
I'm in North West London, thanks for the suggestions. You suggested theft . Hmm, maybe I should try that.
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:08

Mood
Daring

Yes you should - after all how can you adress the subject otherwise

Have a pl;an of action tho - as you need to get over what you want and not be bogged down by the processes involved