SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd February 2013, 18:41
Banned at own request

Default Do you friend those on fb that use to tease you

I'm asking cause a girl who use to put me down in High School added me but I don't want to respond accepting the request. I feel a little guilty that I don't want to add her cause I'm thinking she might have changed and have blindly added other high school acquaintances I never spoke too. But then I know we aren't gonna chat or anything, so I think accepting her request would be pointless.

I use to friend ppl so that it seems like I have lots of friends, I then allowed people from SAS to add me on Facebook. However by the lack of communication from most of the SAS people I added, I felt adding them was pointless, hence why I don't usually accept requests from strangers. I'm even thinking of unfriending some college mates I hang around with that don't seem to really like me, but after college finishes to prevent drama. It's kinda abit confusing when it comes to unfriending certain people.
Old 22nd February 2013, 19:19

Default Re: Do you friend those on fb that use to tease you

If it was me, I would decline the request, they won't get notification of this so there's no need to worry about that!

also she might of changed - well if she had changed that much she probably would of sent you a pm instead of just adding you?

I don't know, it's your decision pal! (but I know the option I would choose!!) Beat It!!!
Old 22nd February 2013, 19:34

I'd add her, see if she's changed by what she posts - if you still don't like her much, unfriend her. She probably wouldn't even notice if you don't interact much, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 22nd February 2013, 19:35

In my experience, people you've had issues with in the past adding you on FB is simply because they want to keep an eye on you. They want to be the first to know about any gossip lol.

I don't do FB anymore, complete waste of time and energy for someone like me I'm afraid.
Old 22nd February 2013, 21:48

Mood
Energetic

I added my whole year from school when i first joined, but then a few months later, got depressed as all the old scumbags seemed to be doing better than me (apart from the "coolest guy in school" who it seems has been in and out of prison a few times since leaving school) so deleted loads.

I also deleted the people who were my group of friends up until like 7 years ago when they all decided I was too unconfidant/not one-of-the-lads enough to be around anymore and stopped hanging around with me overnight. But recently I got drunk and re-added them and they pretty much all accepted and one even asked if I wanted to come out with the old gang for their monthly get together that week. I declined though as i didnt want them to see what ive turned into .

I actually talk more now on facebook to the guys/girls from school I was too "cool" at the time to have anything to do with. And the people who were always quirky. And the friends ive made online.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:21

I don't really have many people I had issues. There's one guy who was kind of a dick to me but looking back it was just banter, I should have been able to talk shit back. If I had we'd have probably got along quite well.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:01

Mood
Scurvy

Personally I wouldnt add them not so much because they might of bullied me but because I dont know them. I dont think someone I regard as a bully would really be someone I had much in common to begin with, making them essentially stranger as I was never friends with them the first time around.

On the other hand, if they had made more effort than simply sending a request, such as sending a message aswell, I might accept. Other than opening communication so had something in common I dont know why I would want to add someone who is essentially a stranger. I dont see why I should think a friend request is any type of meaningful effort on someone elses part at making friends with me. An effort would be to talk to me, even a 'hi' if nothing else.

Im sure I have broken many hearts at the declines I have given. However some people did bother to send a message first and it opened communications.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:57

Mood
Spaced

If she just added everyone, she's not going to notice that you rejected it. Sounds like she's just wanting to pad her friend count.

When I was on Facebook, I accepted everything, only cause I was in that same camp to try and get a high number to look "sociable". So, just all depends on whether you care about that or not. Judging from what you said, you don't

I did add a couple of guys from school who used to tease me, not really bullying, more banter... but I of course took it to heart. I'm somewhat glad I did because they accepted and seemed pretty cool, but one ignored and still seemed like an arse.
Old 23rd February 2013, 05:48
Banned

Mood
Elated

I removed everyone I knew growing up, if I don't talk to them or they don't inspire me, what's the point? It's just filling my Facebook with utter crap. I'm not into being a narcissist with the friend count either. But yeah I agree with Azi, try adding -- who knows maybe she's grown up and wants to apologize in some round about way.
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:06
Banned at own request

I ended up not adding her. She only teased me from time to time but I can't see her comments as banter really and also reminded me about the lack of people who wrote on my shirt.
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:13

Mood
Insomnious

I'd agree with the others and say that unless the person makes an effort to contact you in a personal way, I wouldn't add them.

For me, I'd want some kind of apology first.

In the real (i.e., non-online) world, if someone has insulted you repeatedly in the past, you probably wouldn't be happy if he just started talking to you as if nothing had happened. More likely, you'd expect some kind of acknowledgement, in the initial conversation, that he understands that what he did was wrong.
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:56

Mood
Artistic

I have had former school mates add me on Facebook but when I have sent them a friendly message to say, "Hi thanks for adding me and how are you, they have just ignored it which leads me to believe they are just boosting their friend count or they just want to keep tabs on me but still don't want to be friends. I am thinking of un-friending quite a few of them. The only thing that has stopped me is that I am determined to be a success one day and when I am I want them to know about it. Lol.