Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th April 2018, 20:37

Mood
Shoveit

Default Greedos revenge?

I can't be the only geek round here, so, the New han solo movie, thoughts?

Old 11th April 2018, 20:49

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: Greedos revenge?

Ill watch it but i dont have high...i mean, i have a bad feeling about this
Old 11th April 2018, 20:51

Mood
Tired

From the trailer I'd say it's definitely worth a watch,
Looks like it's based more on character than sci-fi eye candy,
I sometimes prefer more intellectual characters when it comes to sci-fi though,
But I guess most star wars output is quite jokey and very character-driven.
I'm not too bothered about Harrison Ford comparisons and such,
Iike to take a film as a stand-alone more than a franchise type assessment.
Old 11th April 2018, 21:43

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
No.

It's not Harrison Ford. How can anyone else play that role? I don't get it. But I'll go and see it because my Mum loves everything Star Wars haha!

I didn't realise that Ron Howard was directing it. I saw him post that he was narrating Arrested Development and editing this film at the same time.
First half of you post summed up My reaction to watching it the first time! But...on the other hand...I'm a junkie for this shizzle can I come with you and your mumsy? I'll behave, scouts honour biz! * puppy dog eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
Ill watch it but i dont have high...i mean, i have a bad feeling about this
I See what you did there and I approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gama
From the trailer I'd say it's definitely worth a watch,
Looks like it's based more on character than sci-fi eye candy,
I sometimes prefer more intellectual characters when it comes to sci-fi though,
But I guess most star wars output is quite jokey and very character-driven.
I'm not too bothered about Harrison Ford comparisons and such,
Iike to take a film as a stand-alone more than a franchise type assessment.
Harrison kinda is that character for me so comparisons are already a problem in my enjoyment, but I doubt Disney will not release it on my say so...so it's learn to like it or go into exile on dagobah.

Also...dare I say it...boba fett. What if he's in it? I'm hoping he'll get his own film eventually, but surely if we all will it...just maybe...eek.

And chewie. Raaaaarrgh.
Old 11th April 2018, 21:58

Mood
Sneaky

Theres a full size chewbacca cut out where i work right now, i guess as promotion for the last jedi comin oot. wood. not. mess. : /

but anyway, yknow what, i think harrison has a habit of playing very unlikable characters. he was a cold fish in blade runner and i also dont really like han. his banter with leia feels forced and rapey to me, and i always cringe at that bit where he goes running and screaming up the corridor with a gun. i'm interested in his story but reckon he probably has BO and can't cook a basic meal. never pays his debts either ffs
Old 11th April 2018, 22:13

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Theres a full size chewbacca cut out where i work right now, i guess as promotion for the last jedi comin oot. wood. not. mess. : /

but anyway, yknow what, i think harrison has a habit of playing very unlikable characters. he was a cold fish in blade runner and i also dont really like han. his banter with leia feels forced and rapey to me, and i always cringe at that bit where he goes running and screaming up the corridor with a gun. i'm interested in his story but reckon he probably has BO and can't cook a basic meal. never pays his debts either ffs
Really? And you haven't stolen it yet? Wow, that's willpower!

Where you work?...oh, no reason...just...curious...

Rapey? Hey, his ship his rules. She knows what she's doing with those buns on show. Hussy.

Harrison openly hates Star Wars he often refuses to talk about it in interviews and always wanted Han to die in empire so he could go do ' real' movies...but I still love him and yes, he knows.
Old 12th April 2018, 00:25

For me...if, by the end credits, I have an overwhelming urge to watch it again, and re-watch it multiple times, then thats a good film.

Problem is, since phantom menace and all the rest till last jedi, I've not had that urge at the end of any of them. I've watched em all just once. Which really annoys me because I want to like em!

Some of the dialogue in the last 6 films has been right ropey. The casting I find really confusing - bad acting is bad acting - some scenes are no better acted than a school play.

But, they all make a ton of cash and the bottom line is always profitable so it matters not.

For Solo, you read about all the problems, fired directors, re-shoots, shifty lawyers, phoney doctors (phoney doctors? Hell-o) and it looks doomed.

But with Chewie all the way upfront in this one it could be good. I just hope he gets his own subtitles for once.
Old 12th April 2018, 01:03

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
For me...if, by the end credits, I have an overwhelming urge to watch it again, and re-watch it multiple times, then thats a good film.

Problem is, since phantom menace and all the rest till last jedi, I've not had that urge at the end of any of them. I've watched em all just once. Which really annoys me because I want to like em!

Some of the dialogue in the last 6 films has been right ropey. The casting I find really confusing - bad acting is bad acting - some scenes are no better acted than a school play.

But, they all make a ton of cash and the bottom line is always profitable so it matters not.

For Solo, you read about all the problems, fired directors, re-shoots, shifty lawyers, phony doctors (phony doctors? Hell-o) and it looks doomed.

But with Chewie all the way upfront in this one it could be good. I just hope he gets his own subtitles for once.

ive always said that star wars was like a school play. i love star wars but the acting has always been horrible. when they are in the garbage compactor they sound like a bunch of teenagers in a dormitory, arguing over a stolen pot noodle

it makes me sad to see the way people shit on the prequels, when in truth they have miraculously made new star wars movies that are just as indescribably bad as the originals. what on earth did they say to otherwise great actors like ewan mcgregor, liam neeson, and natalie portman, to get the goofy tone just right?
Old 12th April 2018, 01:27

Quote:
ive always said that star wars was like a school play. i love star wars but the acting has always been horrible. when they are in the garbage compactor they sound like a bunch of teenagers in a dormitory, arguing over a stolen pot noodle
Shut down all the garbage acting on the detention level

Old 12th April 2018, 01:35

Mood
Sneaky

^ lol nice

I hope we can both agree thats well above the standard of star wars script writing xD
Old 12th April 2018, 03:12

^ Only just
Old 20th April 2018, 21:56

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese

For Solo, you read about all the problems, fired directors, re-shoots, shifty lawyers, phoney doctors (phoney doctors? Hell-o) and it looks doomed.

I agree, rewatching Star Wars has always been a go to in times of geeky distress! But the new films don't make me want to watch them again and again x1737838280000.
Rogue one being the exception imo. It was pretty good and even though all the new characters weren't great the overall plot worked for me.

I've recently realised I only watch these new movies for the visuals now and score. The characters are far too pc and and self aware, like the marvel films.