Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th April 2018, 20:26

Mood
Alienated

Default Help with student finance

I know a number of you have studied at university, so i'm wondering if anyone can help me. I don't know who else to ask. I could talk to the finance people at the university, but i'm worried about what to tell them.

I have been studying a part-time post-graduate university course since January. I have recently received a letter from the finance people at the uni, saying I should have set up a payment plan BEFORE starting the course. I haven't done so. They are asking for £5,000 in 10 days. Oh dear. On the letter, it said to contact them if I have a student loan. That's a relief, because I applied for a student loan. Oh wait - after checking my online student loan account, it appears I haven't even finished my application. So I have no student loan.

I seriously cannot believe how incredibly stupid I have been. I'm not sure what is happening to my brain, but why didn't I know about sorting out finance BEFORE starting the course. How can I not even finish a loan application WITHOUT REALISING.

Basically I feel I am in an incredible mess, and I don't know how to sort it out. I'm actually worried about the legal implications about this and if the police will get involved.

I was feeling low before realizing all this, and now I feel even worse. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help at all (with advice that is, NOT giving me money ).

Thank you in advance.
Old 18th April 2018, 20:48

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Help with student finance

Thank you biscuits, your post is reassuring.

I have only just discovered I haven't even completed the application. Well, I did receive an email last January saying my 'application has been submitted', which I assumed meant the wheels were in motion. However, checking my finance account online, it shows i've missed the final steps. I have to send a 'letter of declaration' in the post. I doubt that will be sorted out within 10 days.

I am surprised that after starting the course in January, I did not receive a gentle reminder from the uni to sort my payment out. I am also surprised I did not receive a gentle reminder from student finance to complete my application. Instead I get a threatening letter four months later.

As you say, its best I see them in person, and be honest with them. But I'm not sure exactly how they are going to believe me.
Old 18th April 2018, 23:16

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Help with student finance

Thank you biscuits. I will sort this out, and feel better about it after your posts.

I should also mention that I am about to quit this course. Not because of the financial issues, but because I am finding it too much, and i've realised its just not right for me. So this current issue couldn't have come at a worse time!

It makes it even more difficult as the lecturers and tutors on the course are absolutely lovely and very supportive. Quitting the course feels like telling a lovely sweet granny that you hate the knitted woollen jumpers she makes you.