Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th November 2008, 09:25

Mood
Predatory

Default Self help forum

I think we should have a self-help forum. A forum for discussing self help products such as the power of now, overcoming sa step by step, the work, sedona etc. Basically for people who want to improve their sa using self help books.

It would be my favourite forum here
Old 7th November 2008, 16:36

Default Re: Self help forum

I think 'The Social Anxiety Room' is intended for that, but posts with good practical information can become fairly dilute on that part of the forum.

Something I suggested in a thread there, and figure I might as well suggest here as well, is that the 200+ post links thread be started fresh and all the useful links etc. be organized in the first post instead of throughout the entire thread:
http://www.social-anxiety-community....54&postcount=5
Old 13th November 2008, 16:38

Mood
Predatory

I think its too general to have only one forum for everything, maybe we should split it into general sa and self help/medication ?

it would mean the self help posts would be seen by more people.

that would be great
Old 13th November 2008, 16:45

Yea that would be helpful alright, though may be a bit tricky in figuring out how to rearrange the different subforums (e.g. what would 'The Social Anxiety Room' become? would one be another subforum within the other etc?).

Wonder what the mods/admins thoughts are on these ideas?
Old 13th November 2008, 19:51

Mood
Cool

Do we really need one? Doesn't the SA Room serve that purpose? :hmmm:
Old 29th December 2008, 03:19

Mood
Predatory

Not really no, it is full of non self help topics, it would be nice to have a forum dedicated to it so I could check if there were any posts worth reading.
Old 29th December 2008, 03:33

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAli
Not really no, it is full of non self help topics, it would be nice to have a forum dedicated to it so I could check if there were any posts worth reading.
See your point, something to focus on self help.

What do the mods think?
Old 29th December 2008, 11:36
Mama Shaz

gets the thumbs up from me.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:37

Thumbs up from me. I have loads of self help resources (books, audio series etc) that I would love to 'share' (dont mention copyright ahem) with others.

It would be great to have somewhere that was just plain positive/empowering on here.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:41

whatever happened to AAAli, i wonder?

i think maybe a broader sub-forum might be a better idea; something like 'The Recovery Room' - not dead keen on the idea of a forum dedicated purely to the promotion of self-help products over members' own experiences. they can often give the short-term illusion of a fix, and people post about them in the first flush of enthusiasm, but rarely do they offer anything more lasting.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:45
Administrator

Mood
Tired

We haven't fully discussed this back here yet, but my own personal initial thoughts would be to look at something like Arfed's suggestion of having a sticky in the SA Room with links, perhaps even a collection of merged threads, relating to self-help stuff - like the existing Collection of SA/self-help book recommendation threads and links to free CBT sticky thread. I reckon that would strike a pretty good balance between accommodating identifying useful self-help stuff without creating unnecessary clutter quite nicely.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:08

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultus
We haven't fully discussed this back here yet, but my own personal initial thoughts would be to look at something like Arfed's suggestion of having a sticky in the SA Room with links, perhaps even a collection of merged threads, relating to self-help stuff - like the existing Collection of SA/self-help book recommendation threads and links to free CBT sticky thread. I reckon that would strike a pretty good balance between accommodating identifying useful self-help stuff without creating unnecessary clutter quite nicely.
Would a sticky have quite the right usefulness though, we've did that with the "recommend a book" sticky and it hardly gets used.

Perhaps if the mods focused on keep discussions on certain self help products to one topic and merged topics that are basically about the same thing, help stop the clutter!?
Old 29th December 2008, 21:12
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Would a sticky have quite the right usefulness though, we've did that with the "recommend a book" sticky and it hardly gets used.
It's the third most viewed thread in the SA Room, Pal. I'd guess it actually gets used a fair bit.

Note the distinct lack of people posting 'recommend a book' type threads in the SA Room in recent weeks and months.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:57

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultus
It's the third most viewed thread in the SA Room, Pal. I'd guess it actually gets used a fair bit.

Note the distinct lack of people posting 'recommend a book' type threads in the SA Room in recent weeks and months.
REALLY?

I'm surprised, nobody seems to be actually contributing to it. Any idea how frequently it gets viewed?
Old 29th December 2008, 22:19

Mood
Predatory

Quote:
whatever happened to AAAli, i wonder?
I posted in this very topic yesterday. But thanks for wondering

I don't think a sticky topic will be the best solution, because it just doesn't allow much discussion about each self improvement product. It also makes you feel like you have to read throught all the hundred of pages so you don't repost something. It would just get very confusing. It would be much better to have a small forum than a large confusing topic.

Why would you opt for an unorganised confusing topic rather than an organised easy to use forum?

Is the database size limited or something?

It just doesn't make sence to me
Old 29th December 2008, 22:22

Quote:
I posted in this very topic yesterday. But thanks for wondering

since yesterday i meant, clearly

Old 29th December 2008, 22:31

Mood
Cool

Quote:
I don't think a sticky topic will be the best solution, because it just doesn't allow much discussion about each self improvement product. It also makes you feel like you have to read throught all the hundred of pages so you don't repost something. It would just get very confusing. It would be much better to have a small forum than a large confusing topic.
Actually that's a good point.
Old 29th December 2008, 23:21

Quote:

Why would you opt for an unorganised confusing topic rather than an organised easy to use forum?
The idea was to have all of the links organized into the first post, instead of being spread throughout the whole topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfed
Something I suggested in a thread there, and figure I might as well suggest here as well, is that the 200+ post links thread be started fresh and all the useful links etc. be organized in the first post instead of throughout the entire thread:
http://www.social-anxiety-community....54&postcount=5
I wasn't suggesting that as something instead of a new sub-forum, it was just an additional idea; I still like the idea of a 'self help' type forum, but how to implement it and what form it should take may need a bit more figuring out though.
Old 29th December 2008, 23:38

Mood
Predatory

Quote:
The idea was to have all of the links organized into the first post, instead of being spread throughout the whole topic:
You can't possibly have all links in one topic, new websites are created everyday and someone would have to keep updating it.
It would be good to talk about each link separately.

Quote:

since yesterday i meant, clearly
Old 29th December 2008, 23:49

Quote:
You can't possibly have all links in one topic, new websites are created everyday and someone would have to keep updating it.
Sure you can; you just need someone (a mod or the original poster) who can update the first post whenever someone puts a new link in the thread.

Quote:
It would be good to talk about each link separately.
You still could; keeping all of the links within the first post of a thread would just make it easier to keep reference of the link, so people (e.g. those new to the forum) would have a handy reference to all useful links, but in one place.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:14

Mood
Predatory

Thats alot more work for the mods. Besides if there was a topic full of links it would be great in a self help forum.

A topic just doesn't allow as much conversation as a whole forum.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:53

Quote:
Thats alot more work for the mods.
It would only be a link or two every now and then, should be manageable; keeping track of it all in the original post would be very helpful for newcomers and people just looking for info on a certain topic (e.g. it could be formatted/categorized into links for things like CBT, Medication etc.).

Quote:
Besides if there was a topic full of links it would be great in a self help forum.

A topic just doesn't allow as much conversation as a whole forum.
Yep, hence why I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfed
I wasn't suggesting that as something instead of a new sub-forum, it was just an additional idea; I still like the idea of a 'self help' type forum, but how to implement it and what form it should take may need a bit more figuring out though.
Old 31st December 2008, 23:05

Mood
Predatory

ah, ok.

We really need this forum for a more positive forum for 2009
Old 1st January 2009, 02:28

Mood
Cool

Any reason we can't have a trial run or something?
Old 1st January 2009, 02:48

I think a self help forum is a really good positive idea. I agree that The Recovery Room would be a suitable name.
Old 1st January 2009, 16:07

Mood
Predatory

The Recovery room is a great name

I think it would be best to cover a wide range of topics such as:
-social skills
-product notes, help and reviews
-techniques
-motivational/useful quotes
-fitness (To shy to go to the gym or ask someone else for help?)
-appearence/fashion (can't ask your friends about it?)
-productivity/will power

We could have a sticky topic for motivational quotes, useful links and topics of interest and possibly a topic where members say there top 5 or 10 products.

That would be great
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:55

Mood
Predatory

Wink Re: Self help forum

Any news from admins about this?
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:40
Mama Shaz

We are still deciding the best way to implement this section within the board.
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:54

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz82
We are still deciding the best way to implement this section within the board.
Ban Pal and tell everyone else to never speak about it again, that's the easiest solution.
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:14

Quote:
The Recovery room is a great name

I think it would be best to cover a wide range of topics such as:
-social skills
-product notes, help and reviews
-techniques
-motivational/useful quotes
-fitness (To shy to go to the gym or ask someone else for help?)
-appearence/fashion (can't ask your friends about it?)
-productivity/will power
For what its worth, I think this would be a great idea
It would be a nice, positive welcome addition to the boards, and would encourage people to be proactive at battling SA...it gets a definite thumbs up from me. And implementing it at the start of a new year would be great too, for all the people (like me!) that have pledged to be more proactive about their SA this year

(maybe there could also be a success stories thread, for people that have overcome their SA and want to give us all some handy hints and positive feedback - I really appreciate those type of posts a lot but atm they tend to be quickly lost in the Social Anxiety room)
Closed Thread