SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th June 2013, 14:13

Default Going bald, losing hair etc

Yeah...

Not really a fan of it to be honest. Especially after having great thick, rock star hair up until around 26-27. Watching it thin out slowly isn't nice. I can live with it, but it definitely drains me of confidence, and because you get comments from people about it. I guess it just makes you feel less good looking then what you could be. Certainly, it suits some guys, especially if you have a round head or a thicker look. But i don't know....I also seem to be rejected alot more often at dates then i did when i had a full head of hair...So it's not nice. I think it changes peoples perceptions a bit.

Another issue is that it's not that common amongst us youngish crowd. I mean it happens, but it's probably 1 in 12 for guys or even more in terms of occurences.

I suppose, for the really macho guys they can probably deal with it better and shrug it off. But i am nerdy, into music, studious and my hair was a part of that character i visualised myself being. Especially as an aspiring musician.

So anyway, i'm coping better these days with it though. And i can wear cool hats and use Toppik sometimes.

Its funny how you look at some old photos from say 5-10 years ago and my hair was so cool and dark brown. You do miss it sometimes It certainly increases that feeling of nostalgia. which is a shame.
Old 12th June 2013, 16:08
Banned at own request

Mood
Roflmaol

Default Re: Going bald, losing hair etc

My boyfriend is really sexy and he shaves his hair so you just have to find the girls out there who go mad for the sexy cool shaved look
Old 12th June 2013, 16:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

My hair is considerably thinner than it was but at 56 i guess i should be grateful that i'm not bald yet.
Old 12th June 2013, 18:09

Mood
Fine

I lost most of my hair fairly quickly in my late twenties, (Ime in my forties now) but to be honest its never bothered me a great deal.

I shave my head once a month and let it grow back inbetween so I tend to vary between bald and balding.

Youre probably right in thinking that women "prefer a bloke with hair rather than a bald one", but hell theres not much us baldies can do about that so why worry bout it?

Probably the worst thing bout baldness for me is having to wear a hat in the summer to avoid sunburn. I walk/hike a lot so that can be a rather annoying thing to have to do, but hey shit happens etc.....
Old 12th June 2013, 18:50

Mood
Sad

I had lovely hair, until a friend noticed a bald spot on top of my head when i was sat in the pub once, much ribbing was had and it was easier just to shave it all off.

I struggled with it for quite a while but now i really like having a shaved head, i can grow a quality beard so i suppose i canne have everything.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:39
Global Moderator

I always had horrible frizzy hair. A lot of it fell out when I was unwell in my late 20's, but now I just shave it. Doesn't really bother me.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:50

Mine's pretty thin on top, some days it seems to look better than others for some reason but I now keep it fairly short as this seems to suit thinning hair better. i don't mind the ageing process, I don't try to disguise how old I am but I'd like to hang on to the hair for a few more years.
Old 12th June 2013, 20:03

Receding very slowly since about 14, but I cut it very short recently and was shocked to see just how thin my hair is becoming. My dad had hair like Jack Nicholson by the time he was 20, so I guess I'm doing ok.. Still, I don't relish the thought of having to shave to the wood on a regular basis.
Old 8th July 2013, 20:30

Mood
Balanced

Well I am not bald however I do have a prominent widows peak, and as it was so hot this last weekend I thought what the hell I don't see anyone from one end of the week to the next I shaved all my hair off - now I feel so cool (Temperature cool that is, not cool as in cool, hip, banging trendy or whatever the latest phrase is).
Old 17th July 2013, 14:03

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFish
Yeah...

Not really a fan of it to be honest. Especially after having great thick, rock star hair up until around 26-27. Watching it thin out slowly isn't nice. I can live with it, but it definitely drains me of confidence, and because you get comments from people about it. I guess it just makes you feel less good looking then what you could be. Certainly, it suits some guys, especially if you have a round head or a thicker look. But i don't know....I also seem to be rejected alot more often at dates then i did when i had a full head of hair...So it's not nice. I think it changes peoples perceptions a bit.

Another issue is that it's not that common amongst us youngish crowd. I mean it happens, but it's probably 1 in 12 for guys or even more in terms of occurences.

I suppose, for the really macho guys they can probably deal with it better and shrug it off. But i am nerdy, into music, studious and my hair was a part of that character i visualised myself being. Especially as an aspiring musician.

So anyway, i'm coping better these days with it though. And i can wear cool hats and use Toppik sometimes.

Its funny how you look at some old photos from say 5-10 years ago and my hair was so cool and dark brown. You do miss it sometimes It certainly increases that feeling of nostalgia. which is a shame.
Try rogaine foam on your hair... Will halt hair loss and possibly regrow hair as well. It's one of only two products actually approved for hair loss. Alternatively just accept it.

Hair is definitely linked with attractiveness, but then so is confidence. If you are confident about yourself then people won't care about the hair or lacktherof. However, if you are losing your hair and you look visibly defeated from it, then yes it will be a problem.

On a superficial level, hair DOES matter, but believe it or not, not everyone is living in that superficial world even if it sounds like they are. As with all outward things like height, weight etc, people will judge you. But if you carry yourself well, those same people will be endeared to you.
Old 17th July 2013, 15:14
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
I think bald men can look very sexy.
One of my son's friends, has had, hair transplants/hair weave because he hated going bald at a young age. It is quite expensive however.
I agree, although I fell I'm gonna lose my hair in the future and don't want too, hair doesn't equal attractiveness in men especially. I think it does have a youthful element to it though.
Old 17th July 2013, 16:40

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
I think bald men can look very sexy.
One of my son's friends, has had, hair transplants/hair weave because he hated going bald at a young age. It is quite expensive however.
Jeez , why do people waste money on crap like hair weaves?

Vanity is such a silly thing.
Old 19th July 2013, 00:39

^I agree Tabitha if it gives you a healthy level of confidence then there is nothing inherently wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekysneaky
A lot of people have a problem with political correctness, but what I find interesting is just how arbitrary and inconsistent popular notions of it can be. For example, I suspect that many of the same people who would refrain from making remarks about other physical features - a prominent nose perhaps - or would think twice before being sizeist, ageist etc, would have no hesitation in making a bald man into a walking, breathing joke.
Ha, good point. I got teased for all sorts when I was younger - hairy arms (I'm female), crooked nose, crappy big teeth, looking too anorexic. The thing I get now is when I seem to get friendly with a larger size woman she thinks it's acceptable to call me a skinny bitch. There is this silly inconsistency with how it's socially unacceptable to make fun of fat people but it's OK to be rude to skinny people.

I have to keep reminding myself that people are not as rational as I'd like them to be and inconsistent irrational social forces (making certain things unacceptable and others OK) are very strong. :/

And likewise with bald men. Although I do think a lot of the teasing is down to people's discomfort with the signs of aging, people making a joke out of the inevitable loss of hair.

Still. Again just to reiterate what others have already said here, men without hair is not an unattractive thing. Most men still look good without hair. Most women don't.

Most of the men I've dated have been bald or shaved heads. It's cool.
Old 26th July 2013, 20:04

Mood
Aggressive

Goldfish, shave it off. Don't be one of those guys clinging onto scraps. Its really liberating after it freaks the **** out of you for the first 2 weeks.. (take a holiday from work). After that you wont care, and you will be badass.
Old 26th July 2013, 20:19

Bald people think they get discrimination? I can't walk down the street without people staring at me or even shouting at me, apparently long hair is a personal insult to some people.

I think I may be losing my hair, which is horrifying to me, I really want to have nice hair. If it gets to be a problem I'm going to try that drug that makes your hair grow back, maybe I should get it now.
Old 26th July 2013, 20:23

Mood
Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP James
Bald people think they get discrimination? I can't walk down the street without people staring at me or even shouting at me, apparently long hair is a personal insult to some people.

I think I may be losing my hair, which is horrifying to me, I really want to have nice hair. If it gets to be a problem I'm going to try that drug that makes your hair grow back, maybe I should get it now.
Jesus man, don't do that!! being bald is awesome. And you are offending me to say it will be bad.
Old 26th July 2013, 20:30

Mood
Aggressive

look at the amount of girlfriends Larry David gets!!! ... ok bad example :/

Andre Agassi married Stephe Graf... YES... AFTER. .. he went bald

Phil Anselmo in his shaved head days was way cooler than pantera from 1996 till the end

Bruce Willis... yeah all the girls hated him cause he was bald... i could go on!!!
Old 26th July 2013, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris_Yeltsin
Jesus man, don't do that!! being bald is awesome. And you are offending me to say it will be bad.
Sorry, but for me it would be bad, like, really bad, like, the worst thing that could happen bad. No way will I ever shave this head, people who don't want nice long hair are crazy.
Old 26th July 2013, 20:40

Mood
Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP James
Sorry, but for me it would be bad, like, really bad, like, the worst thing that could happen bad. No way will I ever shave this head, people who don't want nice long hair are crazy.
why?
Old 26th July 2013, 20:41

Because....hair! I don't know, it's hair, why wouldn't you want it?
Old 26th July 2013, 20:46

Mood
Aggressive

You probably would. But i just honestly don't see why its such a big deal? I remember the first time i shaved my head i was totally freaked out. . couldnt go out in public. But you know what... i got used to it... no one cared really, a few silly wisecracks and that was it.. now i prefer to have short hair.

its a big deal but you need to shock yourself. but i would say take a holiday first... shock yourself first, then others can see. And i promise.. it doesnt matter at all.

just noticed i contradicted myself... it is a big deal. but only a big deal to you. combat that.. then it doesnt matter about the rest

and for the record i have one of the weirdest shaped heads on the planet
Old 21st January 2017, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusL
My boyfriend is really sexy and he shaves his hair so you just have to find the girls out there who go mad for the sexy cool shaved look
Can't not to agree with you, even if this topic is old! As I know many barbers recommed such solution for the balding men, the shaved hairstyles look rather cool nd of course there are girls who like them
Also it can be an other decision without shaving, there are some special hairstyles for these cases, like in this gallery on StyleMann for example
In my opinion these ones look really cool!

But of course loosing your hair through years is very sad... I really don't understand why that happens much more often in case of men than women
Old 21st January 2017, 17:49
Banned at own request

Mood
Blah

I'm slowly going grey....I'm 32

It used to freak me out but now I just don't care.

Nothing I can do about it, so I embrace it
Old 12th February 2017, 11:39

I'm female and have had trouble with hair growth. My hair is thin on the top. I just decided to shave my head. I like my shaved head a lot, but sometimes I wish my hair grew back.
Old 17th March 2017, 22:38

Been lucky with this so far, very little recession. But hair is definitely thinning a bit (and going grey).
Old 18th March 2017, 01:33
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I think,but might be wrong, that sometimes it is easy for us men to get slightly paranoid about our hair.
I posted on this thread back in 2013 about my hair thinning. So far, just over 3.5 years later, I haven't gone bald yet.

I do think even if one doesn't go bald a certain amount of thinning as one ages is par for the course.
Old 18th March 2017, 16:44

Mood
Crappy

Aged 17 my hair seemed to thin at the temples and recede a bit. Im now 23 and it hasnt really got any worse if Im honest
Old 26th March 2017, 22:08

Mood
Sad

Yup, this is a topic that I know a lot about

Mine kicked in around 23. I'd actually noticed a slight recession as far back as 21, but it was 23 when I actually noticed the hair thinning round my temples. It was pretty devastating at the time, to be honest. I was aware it would happen at some point - most of the males in my family have had some form of hair loss - but I thought I'd get away with it at least until my 30s. But nope, it started very early on, and despite the fact I was starting to find my feet socially, I still wasn't mentally prepared for it. I know this sounds a bit dramatic, but it just felt like part of my identity was being stripped away. If you've got hair, imagine being forced into getting the worst haircut you can think of that goes completely against your look and identity up to that point, and someone going "Right, that's the haircut you've got to have now for the rest of your life".

Despite the early start of it, it actually took quite a long time before it got to the point where I had to start buzzing it off. So I suppose I should be thankful that I had some hair through my 20s. But even though it wasn't really noticeable until I hit my 30s, the whole time up till then it was on my mind every single day. I'd analyse it, look up treatments on the internet,and try different haircuts. Sometimes I'd forget about it, only to catch sight of myself in a mirror at some bad angle or lighting, and be sadly reminded of it.

Around my early 30s it got the point that even tactical haircuts weren't helping, so I took the plunge and buzzed it off. I'd actually buzzed it off around 6 years earlier, just because I wanted to see what my head looked like, but this time I was buzzing it off for good. Hated it at first, but I resisted letting it grow back in, and a week later I buzzed it again. And again. And again. Until it became part of my routine and my look.

To be honest I've never really gotten over it completely, but I have accepted it and I'm a lot more comfortable about it now. I've actually technically still got some hair at the top of my scalp, but on the odd occasion I've let it grow out a bit, the hair that grows out on top is thin and weedy compared to the stuff on the sides, so I end up buzzing it back down. All in all, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Just have to try and make up for it in other areas. But I do have pangs of jealousy when I have friends and colleagues around my age, still with their full heads of hair. I would happily, happily, take a full head of grey hair at this age, rather than my current situation, because sticking a bit of dye on your hair is a cake walk compared to watching it slowly disappear altogether. (honestly, I'm not bitter )
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:42

I'm 32 and I'm getting to the stage where I'm considering shaving it all off.

I first noticed I was starting to get a bit thin in a particular patch on top when I was around 25. It slowly grown from then until I got to around 29/30. Since then, it's just accelerated and now it's clear I have a very thin patch on top.

Over the last year, I've noticed it's started to thin-out in a weird line slightly further down around the back of my head. Imagine it like a speech bubble, with the thin bit on the right hand side... A 'q' shape, basically . It's got to the point I'm now getting shorter hair cuts to try and mask it with limited effect.

I think if I don't shave my hair by the time my I enter my late 30's, I'm going to start resembling Friar Tuck . No thanks!