SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th June 2005, 11:27
pboy

Default Kind of starting to get there

I'm sort of on the start of the road to overcoming SA, only in the early stages but I already know I'm going to get better (does that sound pompous lol?), so I feel I should say how I'm doing it:

Well, I started off by changing my diet. It was very very hard and took a good month or so before I managed to cut out the sugar and caffeine properly. This helped a lot. I felt a lot calmer and less on edge. Now if I ever have sugar or whatever, I feel dreadful, probably because I notice it more now too. So I avoid all crappy foods, it helps me feel calmer and makes things easier to deal with. I remember on one occasion after eating loads of chocolate and I went to the supermarket, I thought I'd explode cos my insides were bouncing about so much, it'd given me a panic attack from the sugar rush. I drink herbal teas now (boring! I hear you say, but things like cammomile and valerian tea really are calming and relaxing)

Apart from that I've worked on changing my outlook on things, my thoughts and so on. I've worked on my self esteem and focused on what I'm good at rather than what I'm not good at/cant do. I've been using selfhelp stuff, the one thats really helped me is Antony Robbins Personal Power 2 audio tapes (you can get it off edonkey). I've decided what sort of person I want to be and I'm kind of changing into that person now.
I have a big list of motivation that really helps to push me forwards too. Also I have started to avoid people that make me feel crap and things that were just masking my pain. Ive stopped using TV and games etc to substitue feeling lonely. I also have a great support worker who helps give me a boost each week. I try to avoid people who bring me down and instead look towards more positive people.

Anyway Im not saying Im there.. but I have changed, from being a really dark miserable and jealous person to being more positive about life. I actually want to train to become a therapist or at least go somewhere down that route, but it's early days yet. I hope some of this helps, it'll be different for everyone but I know it's inside all of us to change, it's just finding it. Those who keep saying that "I'll never change!!!" and wallow in the pain will not change, because they are focusing on the pain instead of what they can do to change the pain. I used to be one of those "I'll never change!" types myself lol. Theres a saying on the selfelp thing which is "You get what you focus on" and it is true. I wont babble on anymore, but anyway I hope at least some of this helps, I know that everyone can change, it's just very hard trying to do so. It took a while for me to see the light so it's by no means easy, but you do have to persist. If anything I'd urge everyone to ask what they want to achieve with their lives/what their purpose in life is. I think we should all have one so then we have something to work towards. We all have lives so we may aswell use them eh (Emote: smash3)

Good luck everyone

(Emote: pirate)
Old 9th June 2005, 14:28
Shaz82

Default Re: Kind of starting to get there

What a great post pboy, You sound like you are really moving forward with your sa, it's good to read positive posts, and also know what is helping other people move forward.

Well done pboy (Emote: pirate) (Emote: smile)
Old 9th June 2005, 14:32
threadbare

i've noticed a change in you pboy from when i first started posting - i remember you seemed really quite disillusioned and discouraged about the future. so to have taken control of your situation in the way you have is amazing - i think your attitude is really inspiring! so just wanted to say....

(Emote: roundnround)YAY FOR PBOY!(Emote: roundnround)
Old 9th June 2005, 15:08
james_taylor

That is totally fantastic pboy! A great post too on ways to help yourself get better.

*james_taylor Does a special song and dance just for pboy*
Old 9th June 2005, 16:21
pboy

Thanks guys! (Emote: pirate)

*does a little dance around the room also*

Actually I do sometimes jump about the house when I'm all aloney (Emote: roundnround)
Old 9th June 2005, 16:30
cavycrazy

Well done pboy!!! (Emote: smile)

I'm glad to hear that you're getting better!

Old 9th June 2005, 16:57
pboy

PS - Something I just remembered which I think helped me too. I always used to blame my mum for my SA cos of how she brought me up, and did this for a long time. Recently I thought about it a lot and forgave her the things she did, which stopped me acting and feeling like a victim and gave me my own control over my life. It's probably not an issue for everyone but just thought I should mention it. Thanks again people (Emote: roundnround)
Old 9th June 2005, 17:52
magika

well done pboy (Emote: roundnround) changing your diet is a hard thing to do!! i would really love to change mine ! but well done for doing that!!
Old 12th June 2005, 20:18
introverted_guy

Great stuff pboy, well done! (Emote: pirate)
Old 12th June 2005, 23:08
Black_Mamba

Good for you pboy, whoa hang on a sec is that Little Miss Raiden in your avatar?

<-- massive MGS fan (Emote: smile)

I'm with you on the cutting out caffiene and sugar diet - although I'm drinking a cup o tea right now I've pretty much cut it down to one a day, stopped smoking, less sugar, eating more fresh food etc etc

It feels good but its effort isn't it?
Old 13th June 2005, 20:03
nemesis20

Yay! Well done mate. I have noticed a positive change in your attitude I have to say, even on here. (Emote: smileyellow)

Remember that the SA forums are a stage to your recovery - but don't forget us when your Mr Confidence! lol
Old 13th June 2005, 22:07
pboy

Quote:
Quote: Black_Mamba at 22***58;08***58;50 Sun Jun 12 2005
Good for you pboy, whoa hang on a sec is that Little Miss Raiden in your avatar?

<-- massive MGS fan (Emote: smile)

Yup that's Mr Raiden, who can resist such a cutie eh (Emote: smash3)
It is hard, cutting out all the sugar etc but worth it. I still have setbacks but not v often.

Dont worry when I'm Mr Confidence I'll be back here to make evryone else Mr and Mrs Confidences (Emote: roundnround)
Old 15th June 2005, 22:28
anne123456

Great post pboy and great news! (Emote: smile)
Anne
Closed Thread