SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th September 2017, 23:00

Default When did my anxiety get so bad!!

Because I work from home I don't really get out very much and when I do go out it's usually to somewhere I'm familiar with, or with somebody I know or a situation I can control.

Anyway I went to see a mortgage advisor today and I was basically a total nervous wreck. Infact I was more nervous today than on any of the first dates I've been on which is very strange! I could barely write my name down (as I was shaking) and then he asked me to spell my address (coz I have this weird sounding address) and I really struggled to spell it. Then he asked for my phone number and I forgot it so fumbled around on my phone trying to find it. I must have come across like some sort of weirdo

Anyway I survived but I came away thinking I really gotta do something about this but I just dunno what.
Old 7th September 2017, 01:54

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: When did my anxiety get so bad!!

I wonder if you answered your question with the first line of your post?

It sounds like you have a daily routine that is quite regimented and has become comfortable for you. It's a bit like a controlable, secure bubble, but it is pretty much guaranteed to shrink your overall comfort zone down to something very small. Of course, when a situation or circumstance pulls you out of that rather constricted bubble you will naturally feel a loss of control, feelings of insecurity and the inevitable anxiety will surely kick in big time.

As difficult as it is to contemplate for anyone with SA, the answer with this is rather counter intuitive. Rather than trying to stay safe all of the time, it is far more beneficial to constantly push the boundaries of our comfort zones. It doesn't have to be anything drastic. Just consistent, small steps that broaden our experiences so we gradually become more familiar and comfortable with more and more things, people, situations and places.