SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 6th May 2011, 17:18

Default do you do any exercise?

do you do any exercise?
Old 6th May 2011, 17:24

Default Re: do you do any exercise?

I do not.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:33

45 mins on exercise bike and some pilates, at least 4 times a week. also i walk my dog over an hour each day.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:34

Mood
Spaced

not enough probably
e: I have some equipment but it lives in the shed lol. Hoping I can set up a mini-gym when we have our own place.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:14

Yes, but it's totally random and not regular at all. I just did 2 months of no cardio exercise then suddenly a 10 mile cycle the other day. My body hates me.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:21

Not really although I've tried to change this recently and got a bike. Although it's one of those fold up bikes and not a proper one and so does not have gears and has really small wheels. So it's a big effort getting around on it and have to stop every 5 minutes... or maybe this is just a big excuse for the fact I'm so unfit?
Old 6th May 2011, 18:38

Mood
Alienated

lol

no

im not visibly overweight or anything..but god damn im unfit..i can barely run...and if i try things end up hurting..

ive also got damn scrawny arms..and appear to be getting a bit of a pot belly

its on the list of things id like to do...and things ill probably never do
Old 6th May 2011, 19:25

I sometimes go hill walking at the weekends and I play badminton and tennis occasionally.
Old 6th May 2011, 19:32

I do a lot of walking. The train station is a twenty minute walk from my house, then work is a fifteen minute walk from the train station. Then there is my dog who I try to bring out everyday, but sometimes there just isn't enough time depending on what I'm doing on an evening.

I try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week, usually doing about 30-40 min. I really enjoy this, hopefully I'll start seeing the results come summer. I use mostly the cross trainer, and the rowing machine. I try it on the treadmill, but I'm not very good, and it's very boring.

I feel most happy when doing something physical or are around people. Like right now, just in the house, having nothing much to do (I do have this IT stuff but cba with that), I feel very low almost like crying.
Old 6th May 2011, 19:43
Administrator

Mood
Tired

I exercise 4-5 times a week, for around 30 minutes a time, following an interval training-type routine. After a ~5 minute warm-up, I then do 5-7 minutes of fairly intensive skipping (with a weighted rope, and heart rate monitor so I know I'm working myself hard enough), offset then with 3 minutes of something slightly less intense, like bodyweight exercises, weightlifting or some form of resistance movement. I'm also looking to start going to Krav Maga classes in the coming weeks to complement my existing routine.

Regular exercise definitely helps keep my mood positive and keeps me sharper mentally. I've always noticed myself become kind of 'sluggish' in the past when I haven't been exercising regularly, so I've made a promise to myself to keep exercising for as long as my body will allow me.
Old 6th May 2011, 20:04

I recommend visiting www.hundredpushups.com to people who want to start exercising or want to change their routine up. Its a 6 (or more) week training program. The whole process is explained there. I am on week 3 at the mo and I am noticing a strength increase, and my triceps are starting to look bigger. I'm hoping this will help self esteem as it is pretty low at the mo. I am struggling on week 3 but the site says you can always repeat a week. There are other training programs listed on the site too if you fancy giving them a go

As for cardio, I need to do more of that!
Old 6th May 2011, 20:12

Mood
Curious

I do swing dancing once a week, yoga once a week, and a conditioning class once a week which involves a lot of sit ups and stretches etc. I also walk the mile into town 2 or 3 times a week to buy food etc then carry the stuff back up the hill home.

It's not enough. I've been having trouble dropping off to sleep which usually means I'm not being active enough.
Old 6th May 2011, 20:21

Mood
Brooding

Im supposed to be following a ten week running programme at the moment to train me to run my first 5k, Im not doing great but mostly because of feeling tired after work, or too many kids hanging about outside. Im in the first half of the second week now, Ive been running five times, so at least Im still getting out there!
Plus Im a hill walker so get out into the hills at least once every two weeks for a 5-8 hr walk.
Old 6th May 2011, 20:52

Mood
Thinking

Yes I have speed bag burning machine which I loove :D
Old 6th May 2011, 22:16

Mood
Bored

Probably not enough! but I do try, usually end up sweating like a paedophile in a playground though.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:22

nope, i'm a lazy slob. i really should though, getting old and i feel crap all the time now.
Old 7th May 2011, 00:31

Never for its own sake. I just can't be bothered. Exercising is just not something I enjoy as an activity in its own right. Just pure exercise by itself is something that I just find incredibly boring.

But currently I cycle to and from work because the alternative is to spend three times as long walking (I really can't afford a car at the moment). And I've started to cycle to other places as well; it's just a quicker way of getting around than walking.

Also I spend between two and four evenings a week dancing, which amounts to several hours of light-to-moderate exercise. That's not why I do it; I do it because I enjoy it for its own sake, because it's great exposure and is doing wonders for my self-confidence, and because I have yet to find anything better for meeting and interacting with the opposite sex. But as an added bonus I am getting significantly more exercise than I was previously.

I generally feel much better since I started doing these things, but I don't know to what extent that's due to getting more exercise or whether it's because I am doing well at a pastime that I enjoy and I am getting out of the house and interacting with people. But either way, I like the fact that my beer gut has shrunk significantly over the past few months. It still has a way to go before it disappears completely, but it's definitely shrinking.
Old 7th May 2011, 02:44

Mood
Confused

yup daily , 12 to 20 miles on my bike , 25 push ups ,100 crunches , some weights ,100 squats plus I walk my dog .(well he walk's me ..dam rottie lol)
Ive noticed if I don't do daily exercise I tend to get in too a deep depression ..err not fun that ..and for an added bonus my leg's look a lot more toned
Old 7th May 2011, 10:36

No...I don't like exercising in public whether its running, swimming? no chance ...the gym? no way..that is for fitness freaks and uber confident people who are physically well off to begin with ..(thats how I see it)

I do however enjoy playing basketball at the local park a couple of times a week.

I am however amazed by how trendy and popular it is for people in their twenties to go to the gym, you always hear people saying "i went to the gym every night this week" ...its almost like once you hit your twenties you are aumotatically supposed to go to university, go to the gym all the time, go to bars and pubs, have a steady girlfriend, and so on and all the other expectations..

i'm really amazed that before my twenties i had no idea the "the gym" was such an expected part of adulthood ...i tend to exercise in other ways, at home on the bike, light weights as in (simple dumbells) ..etc ..i'm fairly nerdy/skinny though.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFish
No...I don't like exercising in public whether its running, swimming? no chance ...the gym? no way..that is for fitness freaks and uber confident people who are physically well off to begin with ..(thats how I see it)

Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can.

I have very low confidence and the lot that comes with it.
Old 7th May 2011, 15:07

I lift weights 5 days a week.
It keeps me fit, takes my mind off things if theres something getting me down, gives me something positive to focus on and increases my confidence slightly.
I don't think I could do without it to be honest.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1789
Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can.

I have very low confidence and the lot that comes with it.
I think i have exercise agrophobia, i can go out but there are times and situations that just feel private to me, exercising as in running or bike riding in public is a big deal for me but basketball or soccer isn't so for me its something in my mind that stops me from doing standard exercising in public.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:14

Mood
Apelike

I try and do 3x half hour cardio sessions on the treadmill/step/cycle/rower a week plus maybe weights once a week. All the above is in my spare room, most I have found on ebay for 99p, its no surprise that people spend £100's on equipment they never use, then a year later flog it on ebay.

I walk the dog as well.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:01

Mood
Chatty

I swim 2 or three times a week. Well I try to. Motivation can be an issue. I'm a sucker for getting buses everywhere as well.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:01

Mood
Bored

After this weekend I think I'm giving up exercise.

Yesterday I went to a class and got shouted at, by name, to "make down with the ass" and I've just come back from the gym where today some hairy-arsed Swiss bloke seemed to take it upon himself to appoint himself as my personal trainer, I appreciate the gesture and everything but really, spent about a hour just wishing he'd feck off and leave me alone, bit scared to go back now too.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:08

Mood
Curious

I exercise regularly and really do feel the benefit when I do. I just find it difficult to keep any pattern going and end up loosing interest.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:30

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFish
I think i have exercise agrophobia, i can go out but there are times and situations that just feel private to me, exercising as in running or bike riding in public is a big deal for me but basketball or soccer isn't so for me its something in my mind that stops me from doing standard exercising in public.
See I'm the opposite! Group exercising no way! team sports not a chance! classes at the local fitness centre over my dead body!!! However I can manage to swim twice a week, go running most mornings (depends on how sick I am in the morning b4 work, If im naseated and dizzy so much I cant move I cant go for my run). Just shows how we are all different and can do different things and how varied SA can affect us.

I do skipping out my back garden too but no anxiety there cos Im on my own!
Old 8th May 2011, 20:51

Mood
Fine

I take my dog a walk everyday but it's only 10 mins so not going to get me fit or anything. Now I have a well paid job I really want to join a gym but that is a very scary prospect.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:09

I do at least an hour of yoga everyday but it's kind of boring (just me, same couple of DVDs). I haven't plucked up the courage to go to my local pool yet but I'll get there! I strive towards a healthy lifestyle.
Old 10th May 2011, 16:15

Mood
Inpain

Gym 3 times a week, though I have to have mp3 player on and keep to myself . Dont know what Id do without it tbh. It helps my esteem and anxiety no end. The gym has its share of posers though, who spend more time excersing their thumbs texting on their mobiles then anything else ...
Closed Thread