SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th March 2016, 14:04

Default citalopram withdrawal, heart palpitations

i used to post a lot here back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. kicked the habit a few years ago. back now in my time of need.

i would like to know if anyone has experience of near-constant palpitations after quitting citalopram. i took my last one about a week ago, and for the last three or four days my heart has been playing up. it doesnt beat faster, just harder. feels like having two large goldfish fighting in a small plastic bag, in place of my heart.

also the usual post-citalopram effects such as exhausted, spacey etc. no head shocks though which is nice.

i'm sure the palpitations are to do with citalopram so i'm not too worried, but it would be reassuring to know if anyone else has had it - google says it is a common effect to have palpitations, i just dont know if that means the occasional flutter rather than constantly for several days straight.

probably the sensible thing would be to taper more slowly but sod that, i've had a week of this and i don't want to waste all my suffering by going back to the start again...
Old 25th March 2016, 14:36

Mood
Tired

Default Re: citalopram withdrawal, heart palpitations

I stopped taking Citalopram a couple of years ago. I didn't get the heart palpitations but I did get the brain fizz and hot sweats. I suppose everyone reacts differently though. Don't worry, I'm sure the palpitations will stop soon
Old 25th March 2016, 14:59

thank you i stopped before a couple of years ago and didnt get this heart stuff. but hopefully this is just all part of the richly unpleasant tapestry of citalopram withdrawal.
Old 25th March 2016, 15:09

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Detoxification symptoms, innit
Old 26th March 2016, 12:35

I was on SSRIs for about 15 years, and citalopram itself for several years. I was later prescribed the suspension instead of tablets in order to control the gradual withdrawal very slowly over 12 months. Nowadays I have to live with an ectopic heartbeat. It causes palpitations, breathlessness, dizziness and tiredness. Oh, and anxiety...
If I were you I would keep off those tablets, exercise lots (my palpitations are worst when at rest and a work out now and then helps) and keep an interested but not too worried finger on your pulse. Go to docs if it persists but I wouldn't let anyone prescribe me SSRIs again now.
Old 26th March 2016, 14:15

Thanks. It's still going on but lessening... maybe.

Wondering how long to wait before I should start fretting. I guess it takes a few weeks to go back to normal? I've been off them over a week but still feeling weak and tired. I know how powerful placebo effect is, maybe it's in my head. Either way I'm sick of being knackered. Bleh.