SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th March 2020, 12:00
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Swipe-based dating applications use and its association with mental health outcomes:

Quote:
Abstract
Background

Swipe-Based Dating Applications (SBDAs) function similarly to other social media and online dating platforms but have the unique feature of “swiping” the screen to either like or dislike another user’s profile. There is a lack of research into the relationship between SBDAs and mental health outcomes.

The aim of this study was to study whether adult SBDA users report higher levels of psychological distress, anxiety, depression, and lower self-esteem, compared to people who do not use SBDAs.
https://bmcpsychology.biomedcentral....359-020-0373-1
Old 6th March 2020, 01:51

Default Re: Swipe-based dating applications use and its association with mental health outcom

As I've never used a dating app I'm totally nieve as to how they work. However, having read some of the soul destroying accounts of users experiences on the forum I can't imagine how they can be anything but detrimental when it comes to mental health issues.

When someone swipes left or right on a person's profile can that person see the amount of 'unlikes' they've received? I hope not, otherwise it all sounds even more cruel than I thought.
Old 6th March 2020, 03:29
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Swipe-based dating applications use and its association with mental health outcom

I have no idea as to whether a person could see all their 'unlikes' . I've never used such a thing.
Old 6th March 2020, 16:57

Mood
Cynical

^^ I don't think that a person gets to know the number of unlikes they get, but I guess if they get no matches (as in someone they swiped right on who also swiped right on them) that must be very disheartening. I don't think I'd ever want to do online dating
Old 7th March 2020, 09:51
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I'd never use a dating ap . I don't have the necessary attributes to attract people . Too many flaws, and too many superficial people incapable of looking beyond those flaws.
Old 7th March 2020, 16:08

When I used dating apps I would occasionally get matches, I had a few dates which was nice too. How normal do I sound?

I'm not particularly handsome or whatever though so I didn't expect too much results, still overall better than the nothing I would've got.
Old 9th March 2020, 11:05

^^^^^
I don't think there are any apps where you can see how many people have not liked you. As well as being cruel, there just wouldn't be any point in doing that. Some apps will tell you how many likes you've got in an attempt to get you to buy the premium version that would allow you to see who has liked you, but I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are since it's obviously an attempt to get you to pay.