SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd June 2010, 11:53

Default Any tips on how to cope with interviews and group discussions

Hi,

I haven't posted on here in quite a while, a couple of years in fact!
I've finally got to the point in my life where I REALLY want to overcome my shyness and start doing all the things I know I'm capable of, if only I could gain in confidence. After having spent the last 10 years (good god ) in the most mind numbingly dull admin jobs, I've finally made an application to do a PGCE in adult literacy. This is something I'm really interested in, and I currently do some voluntary 1:1 teaching every week, which I really love.

HOWEVER......I've now been shortlisted for interview and am absolutely petrified my shness is going to mess it all up. The interview process is 3 hours long, and I have to participate in a group discussion, aswell as have an individual interview. I feel I can just about cope with the individual interview, but I am SO bad at group discussions and have never ever been able to cope with them. I have this awful feeling it's going to be just like it was at school and i'm just going to sit there in silence wanting the earth to swallow me up

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone on here managed to overcome their shyness/social anxiety enough to be able to get through a group discussion? I know I'd be good at teaching and I know that if I do get onto this course, that I can work on my confidence, but I just need to be given that chance.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:51

Default Re: Any tips on how to cope with interviews and group discussions

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbells2702
This is something I'm really interested in, and I currently do some voluntary 1:1 teaching every week, which I really love.
Good for you!

Quote:
HOWEVER......I've now been shortlisted for interview and am absolutely petrified my shness is going to mess it all up. The interview process is 3 hours long, and I have to participate in a group discussion, aswell as have an individual interview. I feel I can just about cope with the individual interview, but I am SO bad at group discussions and have never ever been able to cope with them. I have this awful feeling it's going to be just like it was at school and i'm just going to sit there in silence wanting the earth to swallow me up
I have to say that this sort of interview process is very intensive and stressful even on non-socially anxious types. I don't know how common they are in the teaching industry but I find they are typically used by bigger organisations and companies.

I've been through one before like that, except it was an entire day's worth of assessment! It was ok but I resigned myself to the fact that I can't perform as well in such a large group than just a regular one-on-one interview and wasn't too bothered. The whole thing was hogged by typical loudmouthed arrogant types and the only thing I got out of it was experience and practice.

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone on here managed to overcome their shyness/social anxiety enough to be able to get through a group discussion? I know I'd be good at teaching and I know that if I do get onto this course, that I can work on my confidence, but I just need to be given that chance.
My advice is this - if you have time to practice for this interview, do it. Figure out a way of gradually training yourself to talk a little in a group situation. Maybe practice alone at first, then perhaps get a friend to interview you, then 2 friends/colleagues...this is how I got over my fear of public speaking. Slow gradual steps that replicate the process of being watched by many people.

If you don't think you can get enough practice in before the interview then think more long term and take the interview as practice in itself (i.e. with the expectation that it is merely a practice session)

You have volunteering experience doing one-on-one teaching, but have you ever tried teaching a small group? Maybe this is the next step up you could take to get yourself ready for interviews such as these.

In terms of advice for actually taking on group discussions I don't know what specific things I could suggest but I think group discussion and public speaking are very similar things, so I will recommend you read my guide I wrote to overcome these fears (esp. the bits about how to talk clearly):
http://www.social-anxiety-community....ad.php?t=30383

Old 23rd June 2010, 15:26

wow, that's fantastic advice you give on that thread black mamba.
I'll have a proper read through it later as I'm sure alot of it will be helpful to me.

Unfortunately i don't really have that much time to practice. My interview's in 8 days time, and I have a really busy week & weekend ahead. The thing that worries me most is not knowing the topic for the group discussion until the day of the interview. If I could prepare for it, it would be alot easier. I guess I'll just have to imagine all possible discussion topics that could relate to teaching, prepare something for them and hope for the best.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:45

Hello again (to anyone who's remotely interested in this thread, other than me!!!)
So I just had my interview and totally bizarrely, the group interview went absoultely fine. There were only 3 of us in the group and I already knew one of them. I managed to speak and say some not totally stupid things. The individual interview was also absolutely fine.
However, the part of the interview I thought would be easy and stressfree was a bit of a nightmare. Had to do a 3 hour written exam and I panicked quite a bit and struggled to write coherently. It's been nealry 10 years since I last did an exam for gods sake!!

Anyway, now just have to wait and see.....
SO relieved it's over though.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:32

Mood
Angelic

Glad to hear that the interview bits went well!

Good Luck
Closed Thread