SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th February 2018, 16:28
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default The therapy experience

For those of us who have had therapy to describe our experience.

The two trained psychologists/therapists I saw pushed the "If you want to be a good person..." line as though I was a moral degenerate rather than someone who needed help to cope better. I stopped seeing them rather quickly.

Finally I had 'therapy' from an untrained member of staff at the day centre I was attending. She didn't push the "If you want to be a good person..." line but was hypercritical of me and didn't give much encouragement.
Eventually she revealed she was part of a small religious sect and dumped me soon after for inadvertently upsetting her religious sensibilities.

After that trio of fiascos I was soon told I was unsuitable for therapy.
Old 4th February 2018, 17:50

Default Re: The therapy experience

I had counselling about a year and a bit ago and it made the world of difference to me. It was mainly bereavement counselling but we spoke about my anxiety and looked at some CBT techniques. I started to journal alongside the counselling which really helped too. She helped me to see that a lot of my thinking patterns were unhelpful and negative.
Old 5th February 2018, 18:03
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change87
What's is the "If you want to be a good person..." line?

Well the background to that is the second therapist said I'd only be referred to him because the rest of the mental health lot were fed up with me. As I later found out when I got my notes comments like "awkward,demanding and troublesome" and " his illness is Machiavellian in it's complexity " were being made around that time. My supposed 'sin' trying to get more help,support and understanding.
Old 8th February 2018, 01:50

Mood
Lurking

My experiences of therapy with counsellors, CBT therapists and the like have always been good. However, my experiences with psychiatrists have both been dreadful. The first one told me ''well, we all feel like that'' after I spilled my heart out. So, so dismissive. With the second one I went in suicidal and came out not only suicidal but also feeling that I was indeed a complete failure at life. At least the second one referred me on for therapy which was excellent, and so was the therapist who delivered it.

In therapy I'm a good client. I've always fully engaged and worked hard at it in session and in the week at home. So, I got plenty out of it. I can't say the same for my encounters with psychiatrists, though.