SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th May 2014, 01:42

Default Game of Thrones

By request (you're welcome, biscuits), here it is, we might as well have one anyway, we've got a fair few fans on here now

So this is a discussion thread of the current season, so if you're not up to date, don't read on. And probably don't make comments on an episode until after its been shown in the UK on Monday nights. Remember this is about the TV show, not the books, as some on here haven't read them (I'm getting started tomorrow, hopefully!), so if you've read the books, please refrain from posting any spoilers or hints about what might be about to come or use the spoiler tags and mark it as 'For Book readers only' or something.

Season 4 is going by very fast (only 4 episodes left now), but they've commissioned 2 more seasons after and I believe they plan to do 7 or 8 in the end to accompany the 7 volumes of the book (with 2 more volumes yet to be published) and it looks like its shaping up to be another exciting climax to this season.

Valar Morghulis

Edit: Now for Season 5
Old 14th May 2014, 20:23

Default Re: Game of Thrones

Great thread; can't wait for the discussions to start a brewing.

Apparently the TV show is going to get further than the books so I wonder if GRR Martin will be writing or at least overseeing it? Could go in a different direction though I guess.
Old 14th May 2014, 20:52

^^

^ I read that they were thinking about doing a prequel series as well, possibly to cover the time of Robert's Rebellion I think, I assume GRR Martin would play a similar role in that as he does in the show now. But whatever happens, I'm still giddy with excitement and anticipation to see what's to come in this incredible story and world, GRR Martin really has created something truly special here, it just all blows my mind, the vast world and its history, the complex and unpredictable storylines, the complex and unpredictable characters, the epic drama, I love it all.
Old 14th May 2014, 20:56

^ Have you started reading the books yet? I intend to read them soon because of what you said. He's created this incredible world and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot by just watching the TV show. That would be great if they did do a prequel. It would mean that we get to see more of Ned Stark
And it's good not knowing which characters will die. If there's one character though who I think has a better chance of surviving than anybody else it's Daenerys.
Old 14th May 2014, 21:25

^ No, I was hoping they'd come today, but they didn't unfortunately. And that's how I feel as well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish they could have done more than 10 episodes per season/book, what with so many characters and storylines, there's quite a few characters I feel I would have liked to have got to know better. And I'm looking forward to getting more of Ned Stark as well, it still pisses me off that he was killed off so early.

And you're right about Daenarys, her whole story wouldn't make sense if she was just killed off before she actually made it Westoros, well assuming she is going to make it at some point.
Old 14th May 2014, 21:45

I doubt they'll kill her off before she reaches Westoros. Everything has been building up to it and if she is killed it just wouldn't make much sense.
I know what you mean about getting to know the characters more, especially Ned, but it's Sean Bean; that guys just a walking spoiler
Favourite characters are probably Tyrion, Daenarys and Arya. I can't see them killing off Arya or Daenarys; looking forward to the trial between Oberyn and the Mountain though for Tyrion's trial by combat.
Old 14th May 2014, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzMunch
I doubt they'll kill her off before she reaches Westoros.
I just watched 30 of GOT episodes last week. Am loving it. I havent read the books.

I noticed that Ned Stark and his son were both shown beheading other people for minor (but dishonourable) things like like deserting or not obeying orders.
So killing them off seemed like karma for them. They weren't really 100% good guys.

At the moment Dany has only killed as a form of justice against other killers.

So i think she is safe for now.

"You have a good claim: a title, a birthright. But you have something more than that: you may cover it up and deny it, but you have a gentle heart. You would not only be respected and feared, you would be loved. Someone who can rule and should rule. Centuries come and go without a person like that coming into the world. There are times when I look at you, and I still can't believe you're real."
Old 14th May 2014, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope
I just watched 30 of GOT episodes last week. Am loving it. I havent read the books.

I noticed that Ned Stark and his son were both shown beheading other people for minor things like like deserting or not obeying orders.
So killing them off seemed like karma for them. They weren't really 100% good guys in the normal sense.

At the moment Dany has only killed as a form of justice against other killers.
Ned Stark beheaded Will of the Nights Watch for desertion, which is a crime punishable by death in the Seven Kingdoms. Robb Stark beheaded Rickard Karstark because he killed two little boys. I'd say they both fit the very definition of justice.

Daenarys stole an army and used it against its former masters. She also sacked a city. That does not seem like justice to me, no matter how bad the Astapori slavers are.

As a book reader, this season has had me a bit nervous for potential spoilers as it seems certain storylines are accelerating past the fifth book atm. I could also mention the differences between book and tv, some of which are very unnecessary but I have come to accept the tv show is its own beast and may eventually go in its own direction. If this is the case, I should be able to keep watching without fear of spoilers.
Old 14th May 2014, 23:50

^^^ Yeah, I'd put those in my top 5 or so as well, along with Ser Jorah and maybe Jon Snow (hello Lord Snow). Really like Oberyn as well though, such a great fiery and passionate character, again, a character I'd like to know more about in the books.

^^ Like LordSnow has said, I was going to mention how desertion was a crime punishable by death, though I had forgotten about the circumstances around Karstark execution.

And I agree, they're certainly not 100% good guys by any means, though I think you could say they were more honourable than most, which may have actually been one of their downfalls, cause as is often made clear in the story, you don't win the Game of Thrones with honour and its probably one of the reasons why Tywin Lannister is the most powerful man in Westoros, he does what is needed to be done to protect his family and defeat his enemies, even if it means getting another house to do it for him and betray the Starks at a wedding. Tyrion questioned how it was done, but as Tywin responded, "Why is it more noble to kill 10,000 men in battle than a dozen at a dinner?".
Old 14th May 2014, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSnow
Ned Stark beheaded Will of the Nights Watch for desertion, which is a crime punishable by death in the Seven Kingdoms. Robb Stark beheaded Rickard Karstark because he killed two little boys. I'd say they both fit the very definition of justice.

Daenarys stole an army and used it against its former masters. She also sacked a city. That does not seem like justice to me, no matter how bad the Astapori slavers are.

As a book reader, this season has had me a bit nervous for potential spoilers as it seems certain storylines are accelerating past the fifth book atm. I could also mention the differences between book and tv, some of which are very unnecessary but I have come to accept the tv show is its own beast and may eventually go in its own direction. If this is the case, I should be able to keep watching without fear of spoilers.
Yeah, Dany's actions have been questionable certainly. The whole liberation of slaves thing is of course very noble, but I think in the last episode with the guy and his father whom she had crucified perhaps made her question her own actions and she is by no means perfect. I still think she's a great character (and a very beautiful one of course) and one of my favourites, but her actions and regularly instantly dismissing her councillors' advice have somewhat tainted my view of her.

So where are you in the books out of interest?
Old 15th May 2014, 00:03

I think Daenarys is probably as good as you can be in a world built on violence; it's hard to escape from it when it's around you. Although saying that I think you could make a case for Tyrion being better, and possibly Bran. I think Bran could be the most moral character actually. He doesn't seem to have that sadistic retributive drive that both Tyrion and Daenarys have.
Most evil obviously has to go to either Joffrey or Ramsey. I think the Mountain though could possibly be just as bad, but we'll be seeing more of him soon.
Old 15th May 2014, 00:08

How the hell do you lot remember all the names of people and places?
Old 15th May 2014, 00:18

Ramsey Snow is an absolute lunatic, so terrifyingly unpredictable and so sadistic
Old 15th May 2014, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom123
How the hell do you lot remember all the names of people and places?
I can't speak for the others, but often, I don't

I sometimes find myself just having a quick google for a character's name, just in case I get characters mixed up and make a fool of myself lol, its incredibly difficult keeping up with storylines and characters in GoT and I had completely forgotten the names of the 2 characters who go north of the wall with Bran and Hodor.
Old 15th May 2014, 00:30

Turns out I was wrong about a potential prequel being at the time of Robert's Rebellion. But GRR Martin has said he might still write one. I'd love a prequel to feature the Mad King Aerys II.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/comic...s-prequel.html
Old 15th May 2014, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzMunch
I think Daenarys is probably as good as you can be in a world built on violence; it's hard to escape from it when it's around you. Although saying that I think you could make a case for Tyrion being better, and possibly Bran. I think Bran could be the most moral character actually. He doesn't seem to have that sadistic retributive drive that both Tyrion and Daenarys have.
Most evil obviously has to go to either Joffrey or Ramsey. I think the Mountain though could possibly be just as bad, but we'll be seeing more of him soon.
Possibly, though his warging of Hodor to snap that dudes neck was pretty questionable. The whole world is very much grey on grey morality!

I didn't like Dany in the first couple of seasons ("Where are my dragons!!!") as she seemed to me like a petulant and entitled child. I've grown to love her, warts and all.
Old 15th May 2014, 09:11

The guy who plays Theon Greyjoy is Lilly Allens brother and apparently she was offered the role of his sister Yara in GOT but turned it down because of the part where they are on horse back and he touches her up. lol.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s15...oEjDw1flXlcH5h
Old 15th May 2014, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly.
Yeah, Dany's actions have been questionable certainly. The whole liberation of slaves thing is of course very noble, but I think in the last episode with the guy and his father whom she had crucified perhaps made her question her own actions and she is by no means perfect. I still think she's a great character (and a very beautiful one of course) and one of my favourites, but her actions and regularly instantly dismissing her councillors' advice have somewhat tainted my view of her.

So where are you in the books out of interest?
I've read all the books out so far, twice. I plan to re-read them a third time before Winds of Winter.

I can remember the names of people/places because I've read the books. I sometimes get confused with the show though because they have changed the names of some characters and merged two characters into one as well several times.

My favourite characters from the show are probably Jon Snow, Tyrion, Theon, Davos Seaworth and Stannis. I like Daenerys but she's not a favourite, show or book version. (I laugh when people say Daenerys is beautiful, in the books she's a 13 year old)
Old 15th May 2014, 13:23

Mood
Sneaky

i was catching up with some GOT last night, im not very good at sitting down and watching things without company but dayum, tyrion lannister Dx <3 <3
Old 15th May 2014, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azi
Possibly, though his warging of Hodor to snap that dudes neck was pretty questionable. The whole world is very much grey on grey morality!

I didn't like Dany in the first couple of seasons ("Where are my dragons!!!") as she seemed to me like a petulant and entitled child. I've grown to love her, warts and all.
Didn't know you watched GoT too, awesome

But yeah, morality is pretty hard to come by in Westoros (or Essos) that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSnow
I've read all the books out so far, twice. I plan to re-read them a third time before Winds of Winter.

I can remember the names of people/places because I've read the books. I sometimes get confused with the show though because they have changed the names of some characters and merged two characters into one as well several times.

My favourite characters from the show are probably Jon Snow, Tyrion, Theon, Davos Seaworth and Stannis. I like Daenerys but she's not a favourite, show or book version. (I laugh when people say Daenerys is beautiful, in the books she's a 13 year old)
Yeah, I know they changed the name of Asha to Osha, and of course the white-walkers are the 'Others' in the book aren't they, possibly changed because of Lost, I'm not sure.

And isn't Margaery like 13 as well in the books? I guess it would have been pretty difficult casting an actual 13 year old for the characters, what with both characters having one or two fully nude scenes.
Old 15th May 2014, 22:16

Is there a predicted release date for The Winds of Winter? Tyrion's little speech at the end of this weeks episode was so good, Theon has got a serious case of Stockholm syndrome too haha. I'm so hyped for a certain fight in next weeks episode, I've been waiting for it for like two years!
Old 15th May 2014, 22:17

I don't see why Bran's actions were questionable. He was being kidnapped, and killing Locke was completely justified. But what sets him apart from other people is the fact that he didn't seem to take pleasure in it.
Old 15th May 2014, 22:41

^ Only in the sense that warging is essentially mind rape and Hodor wouldn't ordinarily harm a fly. His horror after was pretty creepy. I get that it was a necessary evil an' all, but to me questionable too.

Quote:
Didn't know you watched GoT too, awesome

But yeah, morality is pretty hard to come by in Westoros (or Essos) that's for sure
I finally gave in to it - glad I did though! It kicks serious bottom.

Quote:
Yeah, I know they changed the name of Asha to Osha, and of course the white-walkers are the 'Others' in the book aren't they, possibly changed because of Lost, I'm not sure.
I think Asha was what Theon's sister, Yara, was called in the books and they changed it to avoid confused with Osha the wildling (I think!)
Old 15th May 2014, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoiccraig
Is there a predicted release date for The Winds of Winter? Tyrion's little speech at the end of this weeks episode was so good, Theon has got a serious case of Stockholm syndrome too haha. I'm so hyped for a certain fight in next weeks episode, I've been waiting for it for like two years!
Not as far as I know, there was a sample chapter of it made available online a few months ago if anyone's interested (though just don't discuss it here or read it if you haven't read the books!). I have a feeling it'll be out before the end of the year though, just hope I can get through all the mammoth books in time!
Old 15th May 2014, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azi
^ Only in the sense that warging is essentially mind rape and Hodor wouldn't ordinarily harm a fly. His horror after was pretty creepy. I get that it was a necessary evil an' all, but to me questionable too.

I finally gave in to it - glad I did though! It kicks serious bottom.

I think Asha was what Theon's sister, Yara, was called in the books and they changed it to avoid confused with Osha the wildling (I think!)
Lol yep, you're right, that's what I meant to say, there's just so many characters
Old 15th May 2014, 22:45

Quote:
Not as far as I know, there was a sample chapter of it made available online a few months ago if anyone's interested (though just don't discuss it here or read it if you haven't read the books!).
It's going to be years knowing how long George takes! Worth it though! There's a few that have been released aren't there? I recently read the Dunk & Egg Novellas which were really good. I wonder what HBO are going to do when the TV series overtakes the books.
Old 15th May 2014, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoiccraig
It's going to be years knowing how long George takes! Worth it though! There's a few that have been released aren't there? I recently read the Dunk & Egg Novellas which were really good. I wonder what HBO are going to do when the TV series overtakes the books.
It could be, though I think I did read he was thinking about possibly splitting the last book ( A Dream of Spring) into 2 like he did with A Storm of Swords and A Dance with Dragons, so I'd like to think that means he might not be too far away from completing the whole lot, but we'll have to see, hopefully the books won't overtake the TV series.
Old 15th May 2014, 22:54

Old 15th May 2014, 22:58

Quote:
It could be, though I think I did read he was thinking about possibly splitting the last book ( A Dream of Spring) into 2 like he did with A Storm of Swords and A Dance with Dragons, so I'd like to think that means he might not be too far away from completing the whole lot, but we'll have to see, hopefully the books won't overtake the TV series.
Really? Well It makes sense I guess if it's going to be quite a large book (like ADWD & ASoS) Regardless It'll definitely be worth the wait, and we have the show to keep us going till it comes out!

I love that picture haha. This one though:

Old 15th May 2014, 23:01

Thought you all might like this as well; it's great