SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th August 2018, 20:06

Default Ride of terror

Ive recently become quite friendly with a colleague from work.

He was a CBT motorcycle instructor and is very into biking, he does a lot of miles.

He offered to take me out next Saturday on his bike for a ride and I said yes. At the time it seemed like an interesting and unusual way to spend Saturday.

The problem is I'm actually terrified of sitting on the back of a bike, like literally terrified, but I don't know if this is a stupid anxiety, and he is a very experienced rider.

Has anyone here ridden on the back of a cycle. Is it yterrifying or exciting?
Old 5th August 2018, 20:22

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: Ride of terror

Some will like it and some will find it terrifying

Hopefully theres no need to explain the subtle interpersonal implications of having your crotch wrapped around someones ass for several hours
Old 5th August 2018, 21:11

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
It shouldn't be terrifying. Unless he's riding like an idiot, in which case get off and walk home. That's extremely unlikely if he's instructed for a living though.

You'll get the bug though and be buying yourself an R1 before the year is out.

Motorbikes are amazing. It's my number one passion in life atm. I like sometimes scaring myself. My crappy bike accelerates to 60 on a par with a slow Lambo (4 seconds), and I like to sometimes ride like an anti-social shit. It rarely terrifies me though which is why I need something more powerful. As a rule of thumb, when a bike no longer scares you it's time to trade it in.

Make sure you wear gear. Seriously. Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots. Also make sure you lean with the rider. Don't sit up straight like a newb. He'll show you all of that though.

Ps: it's not a stupid anxiety. Bikes are dangerous.
As long as he doesn't ride like this, you'll be okay!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Jt9kLxDIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4KqJYDwxsk

plenty of people are inherently terrified by the experience of being on a motorbike, regardless of how courteous the rider etc is. you have just answered from your own perspective of already riding motorbikes with zero awareness of how other people feel about it.

the correct answer is as already stated, by me. some people love it and some people hate it. the thread starter has already explicitly stated that they are terrified at the mere thought of it, your post is pretty tone deaf in that regard

motorbike riders chance of death is anywhere from 20 to 35 times higher than that of someone in a car. i mean i dont smoke, and i eat a predominantly healthy diet, and i exercise quite a lot. but i might as well be sitting on my ass all day chugging mars bars and rubbing heroin into my eyes since i ride a motorbike to work

to truly beat this dead horse into a liquid, TS isnt going to like motorbikes just because you do, its actually really simple. if they are actually already terrified by the thought of it...i mean yes im just repeating myself now, its all so obvious
Old 5th August 2018, 21:22

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
Alright Kevin, take a chill pill. You said what you wanted to say, I said what I wanted to say. This forum would be rather dull if every response had to be a permutation of what you might have said and or had to come with your seal of approval.

Anyway, respond to this. Or don't. It's up to you. Either way, any further decision in that direction is meaningless to me.

lmao you actually told someone to take a chill pill, achievement unlocked
Old 5th August 2018, 21:33

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Cor!

This sounds exhilarating! (I mean the bike ride, not the Kevin/Herman e-beef.)

Will you see him before Sat? I'm sure if you said to him that you're terrified and could you go for a short ride in a low speed zone then he'd be cool with it. If he isn't cool with it then you don't have to go

i think hermann is vegan, but its ok im down with quorn. that said i dont even have so much as a vegan beef with them, just thought that the advice, in a thread called "ride of terror", was especially poor. the (her)mann themself exists quite separate from their beliefs
Old 5th August 2018, 21:42

He is a really nice man , very decent .

Im sure he will be gentle with me. I have told Im genuinely really scared so he understands, I think.

He has helmuts etc but I don't know about the rest of the gear. I feel quite excited too for some strange reason.
Old 6th August 2018, 03:18

^^^^
C‘mon, I mean, C‘mon. You could see HH was trying to exit the disagreement, but you continued to virtually kick him in his virtual balls

C‘mon. Give the guy a virtual break why don’t ya.

Now I appreciate that it might seem like I am white knighting HH. Then scooping him into my arms and shielding him against a virtual ball kicking. I appreciate that.

But C‘mon. I mean, C’mon

Then again I’m not saying HH is perfect either. Although before I continue with this line of thought, I will also need to kick you in the virtual nuts as well HH. But I promise there won't be much force behind it. So I think you come across as very articulate. In fact, you’ve used words that I never knew existed. I also think there’s a fair amount of logic in your posts. You could even say that Mr Spock himself would blush with envy at your logic. Although I’m not saying you are as cold and as detached as Mr Spock. So, umm........

Get on the virtual horse HH! The whole virtual kicking you in the virtual nuts was a ruse. Just flip off KH and let us ride into the sunset.....

Disclaimer:
HH is more than capable of fighting his own battles. And so is KH. As for my part, I had no stake in this. Which begs the question, why did I gallop towards HH, scoop him into my arms, then flip off KH and ride off into the sunset? Good question! Could it be that I was trying to pour water over a simmering situation. Or maybe it’s because I like scooping articulate & logical members into my arms and virtually riding into the sunset, while also flipping someone off. Who's to say?

Disclaimer two:
I don’t want any trouble. After all, I bruise very easily. So I’m just going to back slowly out of this thread and let’s pretend this post never happened

Disclaimer three:
Oh and I’m sorry for the disruption Sunset. Unfortunately I’ve never been on a motorbike before, so I can't really add much to this thread. Other than galloping towards a member on here, then scooping them into my arms and virtually riding into the sunset, while also flipping someone off
Old 6th August 2018, 14:54

Mood
Sneaky

Lol i was simply pointing out that his advice was really bad. Everyone doesnt have to get along all the time, and hes spent much more time on here pointing out how obnoxious and abrasive his personality is than i did in my one innocuous little post. However i would like to clear up this thing about vegans, they are delicious! Theres nothing i like more than listening to dodecahedron and making bone broth out of peta members in all seriousness im chugging huel right now so im basically veg-curious

wasnt it wonderful tho, seeing hermann hesse telling someone to take a chill pill? instantly shot into my top ten sauk posts ever
Old 7th August 2018, 09:25

I don't have any experience of motorbikes. However, I have found that some of the stuff I've done that has been scary, even things that weren't for me and I wouldn't do again, have been a positive experience and I'm glad I've challenged myself in doing them.

There's two things I do regularly now, and look forward to, that really made me anxious to begin with and each time before I went out I'd have to try and not talk myself out of going to them.

Good luck sunset, I hope it goes well.
Old 7th August 2018, 11:56

My mother managed to pass her fear of motorbikes onto me - and yet I've never been frightened of riding a pedal cycle, which makes no sense! I seem to be surrounded by motorbike enthusiasts (including my girlfriend) who can't believe that I have never been on a motorcycle in my life.

I could, at a push, see myself riding a motorbike but I could never ride pillion (I'm not even comfortable being a passenger in a car); however, I am sure your friend will have met others who are nervous about riding pillion and will ease you in gently. I hope you find the ride as exhilarating as everyone tells me it is.
Old 7th August 2018, 20:09

Mood
Tired

I've been a bit concerned these days about 2 things, in regards to this subject,
The staggering amount of arsehole driving by bikers I've seen,...
And the staggering amount of road deaths, with bikers involved
I mean, on average, there's probably about 2 or 3 deaths a week lately in my part of the country,
I'm sure the 2 things are related,...

It's probably quite exhilarating driving like a nob, but I always think that it kinda' sucks to involve other people in that mayhem, like other innocent road users and related families etc,

Maybe it's people who've had enough of life and just want to go out with a screech of tires and whatnot.

They're constantly racing up and down a country road near me every other night,.. it's all quite depressing and a bit silly really.