SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th October 2013, 20:28

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: Employment Support Allowance and Social Anxiety

Hey...

I have my first ESA medical assessment tomorrow morning. I've been reading the posts in this thread, and I'm sorry so many of you have been forced to appeal. The whole process is extremely ineffective, and I feel that the stress these face to face assessments cause to us vulnerable individuals is quite frankly, cruel.

I have doctors letters to prove my mental health disorders which I will take along with me and if they need to check up on anything, it's all there in my medical history. I've also written a statement outlining my difficulties in the working environment, so I'll hand that to them as well. Even with all the evidence, I'm still petrified of going to that assessment tomorrow. One of the key elements of SA is the fear of being judged, and that's why I feel these assessments are cruel. It's like being forced to face your fear but you don't really consent or agree with it and it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.

I'll let you know how I get on anyway. I think the more we share information about the ESA process, the easier we make it for others going through the same.
Old 29th October 2013, 21:58

Mood
Alienated

Good luck for tomorrow jenny. Are you taking someone with you? I've heard that it's quite important that you don't go alone, even if it's just a friend or family member who sits in the waiting room for you. Medicals are very unpleasant; luckily I've only had one so far but I have my third ESA50 form to send off this week so we shall see
Old 29th October 2013, 22:18

Mood
Balanced

Hi Nat, thanks... when you say it's important that you don't go alone, do you mean that might count against you?
Old 30th October 2013, 00:22

Good luck for tomorrow, Jenny
Old 30th October 2013, 00:33

Good luck, Jenny. I've had a few Atos assessments and it's never a fun experience.

I don't think it's essential to have someone with you to ensure they believe you have an anxiety disorder as I do know someone who went alone (suffering from social anxiety) and managed to pass. Atos can be a bit variable unfortunately and some assessors are fair while others are quite the opposite.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:22

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny4
Hi Nat, thanks... when you say it's important that you don't go alone, do you mean that might count against you?
It may do, like Belinda says the assessors vary. I was lucky enough to get a "nice" one though, hoping you have too. I think it would depend on what you have written on your form, for example I've put on mine I can't leave the house alone. Hope it went well for you
Old 30th October 2013, 11:46

Mood
Balanced

Thanks everyone. I've just got back from my appointment and have to go back to be assessed by a doctor :-( Apparently, there are certain conditions like Dyspraxia where a doctor has to assess you so I have to go through it all again :-( I have the worst headache ever right now.
Old 30th October 2013, 12:44

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotAPorkChop
My doctor took me off JSA onto ESA as I couldn't cope with it anymore. I went for my assessment and after a week or so was told I wasn't eligible so lost that plus wasn't allowed back on JSA, not that I would have gone back on it anyway. I just felt horrible thinking people may have thought I was making it up or something. People don't take SA seriously and I think its wrong.
So so true..."people don't take SA seriously and I think it's wrong"...Most of society haven't a clue about SA and it's debilitating effects it has...It takes away most things in life that normal people take for granted and I'm absolutely sick of it...Got an Atos appeal on the 8th November and if I could make them live in my shoes for a day I'm sure I would win the appeal...That's if they had any empathy which imo not many normal people have these days.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:46

As you probably know, the DWP have now introduced mandatory reconsiderations.

Benefits and Work have created a really informative FAQ which I think is worth reproducing here.

What is a mandatory reconsideration for ESA?
In order to make it harder for claimants who have been found capable of work to challenge a decision about their ESA, mandatory reconsiderations are being introduced from 28th October 2013.

From that date, you will no longer be able to go straight to appeal and, if you have been found to be capable of work, you also will not be able to get any rate of ESA whilst the mandatory reconsideration is taking place. Instead, you will have to try to claim another benefit, such as jobseeker’s allowance or manage without an income replacement benefit at all.

In brief, the mandatory reconsideration is a process by which the decision you are unhappy with is looked at again, usually by a different decision maker. Once you receive the mandatory reconsideration notice, telling you whether the decision has been changed and, if so how, you can then appeal if you are still unhappy. At this point you will be able to go back onto the assessment phase rate of ESA. There’s more about all of this below.

Does mandatory reconsideration apply if I lodged my appeal before 28th October?
No, it doesn’t. Mandatory reconsideration will only apply to decisions made on or after 28th October. The letter giving you a decision about your ESA must explain that if you wish to challenge the decision you will have to go through the mandatory reconsideration process before appealing. If that information is not included with the decision letter then you can go straight to appeal.

How long do I have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration?
You must do ask for a mandatory reconsideration within the time limit of one calendar month. If you have asked for a written statement of reasons for the decision the deadline may be extended.

If you miss this deadline you will need to give reasons for why your request is late and it will then be up to a decision maker to decide whether to extend the deadline.

The decision maker has the power to extend the deadline by up to 12 months.

There is no right of appeal against a decision not to extend the deadline, however. The only slim hope would be to try to have the decision judicially reviewed.

How do I ask for a mandatory reconsideration?
You can ask for a mandatory reconsideration in writing or by telephone. There will be details of who to contact and how in the decision notification letter you receive.

If you do ask by phone, we would advise you to follow this up with a letter stating that you asked for a mandatory reconsideration by telephone on whatever date – just in case your call wasn’t logged or recorded.

However you ask, you must do so within the deadline.

Will my ESA be paid while a mandatory reconsideration takes place?
If you were found fit for work and you ask for a mandatory reconsideration then you will not be paid any ESA until either the decision is changed in your favour or the mandatory reconsideration is completed and you have lodged an appeal.

You can ask to be paid ESA at the assessment phase rate once you have lodged your appeal. However, it will not be paid until the Tribunals Service confirm to the DWP that an appeal has been lodged. At the moment it is not clear whether your ESA payments will be backdated to when your ESA was stopped at this stage or whether this will only happen if, you actually win your appeal. Please check back for updates.

If you were placed in the work-related activity group and you are challenging the decision because you think you ought to be in the support group, then you will continue to be paid ESA with a work-related activity component throughout the mandatory reconsideration and, if necessary, appeal process. Important! You need to be aware that if you challenge a decision to place you in the WRAG there is always a possibility that your award of ESA may be stopped altogether rather than increased or left the same, although this is rare.

What other benefits can I claim whilst the mandatory reconsideration is taking place?
If you have not been awarded any rate of ESA at all, whilst the mandatory reconsideration is taking place you will not be able to claim ESA at the assessment phase rate. Instead, you will be forced to claim another benefit, such as Jobseeker's Allowance, if you are eligible or not claim any income replacement benefit at all.

You will still be able to claim other benefits, such as housing benefit whilst the mandatory reconsideration takes place. However, the ending of your ESA may interrupt the payment of other benefits and you will need to contact the agencies that pay them about the change in your circumstances.

If you have been placed in the work-related activity group and are asking to be placed in the support group, you will continue to receive ESA with a work-related activity component whilst your mandatory reconsideration takes place.

How long does a mandatory reconsideration take?
The short answer is that nobody knows. It will vary from case to case and office to office. The one thing we know for certain is that there is no time limit within which the DWP must carry out a mandatory reconsideration – they can take as long as they choose. If further evidence has to be collected by the DWP, or if they ask you to provide further evidence, then this will prolong the process. Also, if the decision maker thinks they are unlikely to make a more favourable decision they will make up to three attempts to speak to you on the phone before making a decision. Again, this could prolong the process.

There is some evidence that the DWP have set themselves a target of 10 days to carry out mandatory reconsiderations, but this is in no way binding upon them and it would be very surprising if this timescale was met in the majority of cases.

Will the decision maker contact me during the mandatory reconsideration process?
If the decision maker doesn’t think that they can make a new decision in your favour they will try to telephone you to see if you have any other evidence you can send or any other information you can give them that might make a difference. they should make two or possibly three attempts to call you before giving up and making the unfavourable decision anyway.

If you do have more evidence to send, the decision maker will postpone the decision for a month to give you time to send it.

Will a mandatory reconsideration decision be backdated?
Yes. If the decision is favourable your award will be backdated to the date of the decision you were unhappy with. You will be paid any benefits you are owed, minus the amount of any income replacement benefits, such as JSA, that you have claimed whilst waiting for a decision.

How will I be told what the mandatory reconsideration decision is?
You will receive two copies of the Mandatory Reconsideration Notice through the post, will which explain what the result of the reconsideration is. If you are unhappy with the decision and wish to challenge it, you will have to enclose one of the Mandatory Reconsideration Notices with your appeal form (SSCS1).

What do I do if I am not happy with the result of the mandatory reconsideration?
Once you have had your mandatory reconsideration decision you can appeal against it if you are not happy with the result.

You will have to lodge your appeal within the one month deadline and you will have to lodge your appeal directly with Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) instead of with the DWP.

You will need to complete form SSCS1 and send it to the address given on the form accompanied by a copy of the Mandatory Reconsideration Notice. If you have lost your Mandatory Reconsideration Notice you will need to contact the DWP and ask for a duplicate to be sent out to you. Furthermore, the old appeal form (GL24) can no longer be used.

From October 2014, there will be a deadline of 28 days for the DWP to provide an appeal response once they are informed by HMCTS that you have lodged an appeal. However, at the time of writing there is no deadline.

What is to stop me just lodging my appeal without asking for a mandatory reconsideration?
If you try to lodge an appeal before having a mandatory reconsideration, HMCTS will simply return your appeal form to you and tell you that you must send a mandatory reconsideration notice with your appeal form before it can be accepted.

Where can I get help with a mandatory reconsideration?
Benefits and Work publishes a detailed guide to ESA appeals which covers mandatory reconsiderations and appeals in depth from the day they are introduced.

In addition, you can try to get help from a local advice agency. Some housing associations, local authorities and similar bodies may also employ welfare rights workers who can offer help.
Old 7th November 2013, 20:19

Mood
Balanced

Thank you clawhammer... I might be needing this! I still haven't received my appointment to see the Atos doctor, so I'm playing the anxious waiting game at the moment. Could be days, weeks or months of waiting, they haven't given me any idea how long it might take. I'll be reading this very closely if all goes pear shaped.
Old 7th November 2013, 22:21

One option for help may be the Citizens Advice Bureau if you are able to get there or if not there is information on adviceguide.org.uk with details of what the forms look like.

My SA is not severe and relates to friendships so I actually volunteer there. Some have telephone helplines or email and if you explain that you have SA they might send you more info, as they normally do things face to face. If you do need an appointment then you might be able to arrange it on the phone though not all bureaux can do this due to staffing (lots of funding cuts). In some areas CAB or another organisation may be able to help you in your home. If that is impossible some like our office we do help relatives/friends complete forms but it is harder so any info you can send with the friend will help and they would probably need a letter from you authorising the person because we will be discussing very personal sensitive things.
Old 8th November 2013, 00:30

The idea of claiming JSA whilst waiting for a Mandatory Reconsideration seems utterly bizarre to me. By claiming JSA you are declaring yourself fit for work and would surely have to fulfill the relevant criteria? How can you declare yourself fit for work whilst appealing to the DWP that you're not fit for work?

This stuff gets more crazy by the week.
Old 8th November 2013, 02:43
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh
The idea of claiming JSA whilst waiting for a Mandatory Reconsideration seems utterly bizarre to me. By claiming JSA you are declaring yourself fit for work and would surely have to fulfill the relevant criteria? How can you declare yourself fit for work whilst appealing to the DWP that you're not fit for work?

This stuff gets more crazy by the week.
Yep if you claim JSA you're saying you're ready (and well enough) to get a full time job!

I also believe that if you're trying to get non-means tested support group ESA you will not be paid if put in the work group and appeal it.

I'm lucky to have a husband and family who can help me fill out files and help me keep deadlines, but I keep wondering about a woman I often see in the coop, she's clearly not well from her appearance and seems in her own world, I just wonder how on earth she is supposed to claim ESA and appeal etc, I can only hope she has some support.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:04

Can you claim JSA if you're looking for part time work? I'm wondering if I got booted off ESA whether I'd have to live on savings as there is no way I could cope with a full time job.
Old 8th November 2013, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysbabe
Can you claim JSA if you're looking for part time work? I'm wondering if I got booted off ESA whether I'd have to live on savings as there is no way I could cope with a full time job.
I was on JSA and the DWP permitted me to look for part-time work only due to my SA. If you explained your SA to them they may do the same for you.
Old 12th December 2013, 21:00

i was just going to start a new thread on this as i quit my job a week ago due to anxiety (i also have a bit of a bad back).i held on for AGES but had to get out in the end.ive been looking for new work and have been trying my hardest not to have to go the ESA route but its now looking very likely i'll have to.the last 7 days ive become more and more depressed and anxious,i only ever used to really see people at work and dont know anyone in this town ive been living the last 3 and 1/2 years.its getting really hard now to go into a place to ask about job vacancies.

because of problems when i was younger ive got no qualifications and my work history only really qualifies me for manual labour jobs but my back is quite bad (its gotten worse since i stopped work) so i feel im gonna have to apply for ESA,trouble is ive got a small mortgage and a car and everything else that goes with it,does anyone know what bills get paid for (if any) by the government e.g council tax if you claim ESA?

it sounds like a nightmare process to go through and doesnt sound like id be able to live on it anyway,plus id have to go and start seeing the mental health team again who i felt id hit a dead end with last time and the last meds i was on made me struggle to even exist for months.

i think i might just claim jsa for now and try and keep myself busy so i dont mentally decline any further and ill have to keep trying for jobs but the thought of it makes me feel sick.i feel a bit stuck.all this headf**k just over money.

good luck to anyone else in a similar situation.
Old 13th December 2013, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertthebear
does anyone know what bills get paid for (if any) by the government e.g council tax if you claim ESA?
I'm on ESA and get housing benefit and council tax benefit. They don't pay all my rent, I still have to find a quarter of it each month and I have to pay a small amount of council tax. It all depends on your personal circumstances. I also get free dental treatment and prescriptions.

You may be able to get help with your mortgage but I don't know a lot about that. Here's some advice though....

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...ut_of_work.htm
Old 20th December 2013, 20:25

Mood
Gloomy

I have been through the ESA application process and although there are guides available from CAB or help from Welfare Rights I joined the online Benefits and Work and found their guides to be the most concise (you have to pay but it was worth it) and they have specific ones for those claiming on mental and physical health grounds.I needed both for my variety of health problems but it helped me a lot.
I tried to give advice to a friend going through the same ESA but although they have the same health problems I have and the nurse who assessed her seemed concerned about the risk of suicide my friend was still given 0 points!!!
If you get on well with your GP always tell them youre going through the horrific ESA process so they know what to expect.Due to my anxiety I really struggled to tell him everything that was going on both physically and mentally so I wrote him a letter, which may seem excessive but I think it helped and he backed up both my claim for ESA and DLA both of which I was awarded even if just the lower rate.It might not work for everyone (my psychologist wasnt interested in my letter) but I thought Id mention how I got through it all.
Saying that Im now have my DLA review.......
Old 20th December 2013, 22:08

Mood
Gloomy

I was surprised as well but it might be because I was already on DLA that I am being reviewed for it rather than the transfer to PIP.
Good luck with your application and always remember your worst day in your application.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:24

Mood
Gloomy

I only get the lower rate of DLA but I got it because of social anxiety even though I have fibromyalgia and didnt qualify for the higher rate but Im honestly grateful that I got anything.As I said in a previous post I think that my GP backing me up really helped!
I couldve applied for DLA years ago but thought that it was only for physical health conditions.There is too much stigma around mental health problems and being on benefits.My brother went with me to Welfare Rights today (hes my big rock) and although help with benefits is what the guy is there for, it was a stressful day!!!
Old 20th December 2013, 22:36

Mood
Gloomy

Sadly hes long-term unemployed so thats why his has the time to go out with me but I always try and make it up to him in some way.Hes pretty good at spotting when Im getting anxious.I dont know how Im going to manage without him when he does finally get work!
Im really sorry you dont have someone to help.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:38

Mood
Gloomy

I havent read the guides on PIP yet but remember its sopposed to help so plan what you would want to do with help.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:49

Mood
Gloomy

Thats why I waited for years because I was so embarrassed, didnt want to be a burden, blah, blah.
Its not a pleasant experience being on benefits but neither of us are doing it for fun!
Im very grateful for the guides on Benefits and Work and will be using them again.Really helpful and Im one of these people that finds it reassuring to know as much as possible even though some of their emails about whats happening in the benefits system can be nerve wracking so be warned.
Im also grateful for Welfare Rights advice in the past couple of weeks(seperate help for trying to get help with heating costs) although I could not repeat some of the things he said about DWP.
Old 20th December 2013, 23:13

Mood
Gloomy

I dont currently qualify for a lot of help with heating cost because either they want high rate DLA or income based ESA/JSA etc and I receive contribution based presumably because I was working prior to becoming ill, thats what Welfare Rights are helping me with.
Old 20th December 2013, 23:15

Mood
Gloomy

But thanks for the link and good luck with your claim
Old 21st December 2013, 01:07

Mood
Cool

I'm back on ESA now due to having had a very nasty breakdown during the summer of last year. Probably won't be on it for very much longer though.

I can sympathise with peoples concerns with ESA. Iain Duncan Smith has a lot of answer for. The Mirror yesterday reported him walking out of a debate on the bedroom tax just as the Labour MP's were highlighting the misery it was causing. Even worse apparently some Tory MP's were jeering at these cases. The nasty party they truly are!
Old 9th January 2014, 21:00

Just bumping this thread for someone who was looking for ESA advice as it seems to be the longest and most informative one...
Old 9th January 2014, 21:02

Thumbs up Re: Employment Support Allowance and Social Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda
Just bumping this thread for someone who was looking for ESA advice as it seems to be the longest and most informative one...
Old 9th January 2014, 21:08

You should sticky this thread Belinda
Old 17th January 2014, 03:25

Hi,
I filled out and sent off my ESA50 questionnaire about 4 months ago but haven't heard anything since. Is it normal to wait this long for a response?