Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 29th May 2006, 15:24

Mood
Worried

Default Re: nostalgia

I remember those jelly he-man type things. Can't remember if they were he-man or something else but I remember they were shaped like little soldier guys. I used to slurp them out the plastic mould hehe.
Old 29th May 2006, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullenskink
were they marketed as being 'hedgehog-flavoured' or what? how was that wording done? i'd like to exorcise this falsehood if possible.
They were simply called Hedgehog Flavour Crisps. I'm not sure if they were banned or they stopped producing them, but they disappeared a while back.

They did exist I can assure you, I remember holding a packet of them.
Old 29th May 2006, 15:59

Mood
Sneaky

here's a link about this hedgehog crisp phenomenon. interesting, but perhaps to be taken with a pinch of msg...or pork fat, or whatever...

http://hedgehoghollow.com/hedgehog_crisps.html

i sometimes think that crisps are really weird anyway. you get potatoes and make them taste like meat? why?

why not have feta cheese flavoured bananas?
Old 29th May 2006, 16:11

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb
I remember some of the playground games from the 70's.For the most part the boys played football and the girls skipped but some games were played by both sexes.
When I was at school there were two playgrounds in the Primary School. One for Primary 1-4 and the other for 5, 6 & 7. The playground for the older kids was in two parts really - girls were not allowed on the large part as it was for football. By the time I got to Primary 7 the girls had done that much campaigning they were eventually allowed on this part two days a week. I'll bet if that school was still being used today they'd be on the football bit for all five days. Unfortunately the school which opened in 1887 is no longer used and is being allowed to rot away until someone comes along and turns it into flats.
Old 29th May 2006, 16:14

I recall on the packets of hedgehog crisps a bit of blurb out the hedgehog centre, which the producer donated to - I assume to keep hedgehog lovers happy. http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/
I'm surprised there's not more stuff on the net about them.

I prefer plain crisps myself, unsalted especially - I really can't stand prawn cocktail flavour, why on earth anyone wanted to create those I have no idea, blugh
Old 29th May 2006, 16:18

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57
That's exactly what used to happen at my school. I remember people marching round the playground with their arms outstretched chanting for example: "Chain-tig no boys/girls allowed" depending on whether they were a girl or a boy.
It's funny how games and chants passed from school to school all over the country.
To decide who would be 'it' in the game we used to put our fists out, "or put our spuds out" as it was and someone used to go: "One potato, two potato, three potato, four, five potato, six potato, seven potato, more." Whoever's fist was pointed to at the word 'more' had to put their hand behind their back until both spuds were picked when they were out. The person who remained was 'it'.
There was a similar 'picking who's it' procedure where everyone had to put their feet in a circle and the chant went: "Your shoe is dirty please change it". You then had to put your other foot in. When both shoes had been picked you were eliminated and again the person remaining was 'it'.
I think the one we used was
Ip dip dog shit
You are not IT (or something like that)

Or the slightly (??) racist
Eeeni meenie miney mo
catch a ****** by the toe
If he squeels let him go
eeeni meenie miney mo
Old 29th May 2006, 17:54

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chach
That's the one I wasn't allowed. I tried to progress to Jackie from June and Schoolfriend

but it was deemed "unsuitable".
I remember June and Schoolfriend, and Diana, and Bunty.
I got Princess Tina in my early teens.

Old 5th June 2006, 22:55

Mood
Pensive

Was thinking today about when I was little I was given a children's aspirin called Topsy.
Also my sister and I used to play with dolls a lot and when they were poorly we gave them little sweets called parma violets for pills and also coloured sweets of the same size which I can't remember the name of.

Old 23rd August 2006, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy
I remember in junior school at break time someone would start a chant something like this:
"Who wants to play at cowboys and indians, no girls aloud, no girls aloud"
Others would join in (boys only of course!) linking arms walking round the playground repeating the chant. Can't remember if we actually played any of the games or not though!

I remember doing something very similar at school except we would chant:
"Alll join on, the Batman (or whatever) gang!"
Old 23rd August 2006, 20:21

Mood
Pensive

I remember when I was little I got in my Christmas stocking a cat soap which had a plastic mouse in the middle (I think Avon used to do them years ago). I thought that was really cool.
I also got some children's perfume and I wasted it all in one day by pouring it onto my hankie.
Old 1st December 2006, 09:11

Mood
Pensive

Not many of you are old enough to remember but in the late 1960's in a three-year experiment BST was retained so that the clocks did not go back in winter. This meant that children had to go to school in the dark. Our school sold what were called Diddy Jackets which were little orange jackets that glowed in the dark so motorists could see them, although I wouldn't have been seen dead in one.

I was reminded of this by getting up in the dark this morning and remembered having to go to school in the dark during the Sixties.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any reference to Diddy Jackets on the internet.
Old 1st December 2006, 11:13

Mood
Sleepy

They probably weren't called Diddy Jackets "officially". That would just be a made up name because they made you look like a diddy.

I seem to remember folk coming round our school every now and then to sell us stuff that was "good" for us. I seem to remember bright orange bags being sold. And packs of things for out teeth. I wish I could remember some of the other stuff. The joys of getting old.
Old 1st December 2006, 11:28

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasie
They probably weren't called Diddy Jackets "officially". That would just be a made up name because they made you look like a diddy.
You could be right there, I never thought of that! But even the teachers called them Diddy Jackets!
Old 1st December 2006, 11:39

do you mean those teeth staining red things that you had to chew and spit out to see how clean your teeth were?, we used to get those, along with a free toth brush, oral mirror and a small tube of toothpast.
we were also given those stickers that we were all encouraged to stick around our houses, saying "now turn off the light" "now wash your hands" ect ect..
Old 2nd December 2006, 00:08

Smile Re: nostalgia

I especially remembers spangles, cola flavour
Old 2nd December 2006, 00:24
Shallah

Cor I remember those too!
Old 2nd December 2006, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57
Not many of you are old enough to remember but in the late 1960's in a three-year experiment BST was retained so that the clocks did not go back in winter. This meant that children had to go to school in the dark. Our school sold what were called Diddy Jackets which were little orange jackets that glowed in the dark so motorists could see them, although I wouldn't have been seen dead in one.

I was reminded of this by getting up in the dark this morning and remembered having to go to school in the dark during the Sixties.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any reference to Diddy Jackets on the internet.
BST(GMT+1) started during WWI to improve production and save electricity. The 18th permanent BST in the sixties failed because of kids in the North and Scotland having to walk to school in the dark. Now there's ten times as much traffic on the roads, car acidents are cited for not sticking with GMT. The Channel Islands have the opposite problem of dark evenings adversely affecting their tourist takings!

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/bst2.htm

High visibility 'diddy jackets' are now used on the 'Walking Bus' in daylight.(bottom Page 8)

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corpora...s/may06web.pdf
Old 2nd December 2006, 20:01

Mood
Pensive

Thanks for your insights incommunicado - I couldn't open your second link though - my computer didn't want to play! Good to hear that diddy jackets are still going strong though.
Old 7th December 2006, 10:38

when the gas company gave you gas and the electric company gave you electric....ahhh the good old simple days
Old 7th December 2006, 11:00

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
when the gas company gave you gas and the electric company gave you electric....ahhh the good old simple days
Aye them were the days!

Does anyone else remember galoshes? My dad had a pair. They were like rubber shoes he used to wear over his shoes on rainy days.
Old 7th December 2006, 13:40

my nan had a pair of see through ones with a rubber buckle type thing round the ankle, i used to go waiding round the shallow ledges of the pond with them on as a kid
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:59
Banned at own request

Is nostalgia as good as it used to be?
Old 24th January 2007, 00:33

Mood
Pensive

^ Nay lad! They don't make nostalgia like they used to
Old 24th January 2007, 01:26

i never heard of these diddy things
Old 24th January 2007, 01:42

Mood
Pensive

No I don't suppose you have Punk Floyd. They were only around for a couple of years in the late Sixties when BST was abolished. You may be a little too young to remember.
Old 24th January 2007, 03:05

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkFloyd
i never heard of these diddy things
We are the Diddy Men, the Diddy Men, the Diddy Men, We are the Diddy Men and we come from Knotty Ash
Old 24th January 2007, 16:15
CaughtByTheFuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quiet Dan
'Naff Co.' T-shirts from the mid-90's. Basically rip-offs of Naf-Naf.
I remember those well. Just about everyone at my school had one - rubbish black coats with Naff Co. 54 on the back in multi-coloured letters.

Also, the black bomber jackets with XTC on the back and the baggy jeans with massive red or green patches on the bum.

Suede wallaby's. Made you look like you had cornish pasties stuck on your feet. I had the bright pink ones, loved them. :D

Banana clips. Sticking your hair up in a massive plastic clip with 'bits' hanging down the side of your face that you curled with a pencil.

Friendship Bracelets.

I can still remember exactly how to make them. I even knew how to do the really complicated one with the fishes.
Old 24th January 2007, 16:47
Marley's Ghost

I can't think of anything from the 80's or 90's to be nostalgic about - except for these guys of course:
Old 24th January 2007, 18:30

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman
My childhood:

What ever happened to comics like those? I loved them.

Bananaman.
My brother used to get Warlord!
Old 24th January 2007, 22:40

Mood
Pensive

I used to be a Warlord secret agent
Closed Thread