SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you still use a CRT screen?
Yes for watching tv 10 47.62%
Yes for my computer 3 14.29%
No 10 47.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th May 2013, 00:03
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Default CRT screen?

Does anyone still use one of these for their tv or computer monitor? My parents finally got an LCD last year and I've not seen a CRT screen since.
Old 14th May 2013, 00:06

Default Re: CRT screen?

The last time I saw one was in March. It was a prop in a play.
Old 14th May 2013, 00:13

Still had a CRT telly up until a few months ago when I bought a new Samsung LED one. I see little difference in the picture quality - in fact, I think the CRT was better.
Old 14th May 2013, 00:27

Not any more, but a good CRT still kicks the crap out of anything else when it comes to SD stuff.
Old 14th May 2013, 00:30

The CRT tv/pc monitor my parents used both died years ago. My first bedroom telly was a 21" non-widescreen tube one that was being thrown out by someone. I have a 32" LCD now, and a very heavy 24" CRT widescreen that is under my bed. Also have a 20" CRT monitor for computer use as well as other stored ones. I still really dislike LCDs for that purpose, the picture is just worse really!
Old 14th May 2013, 01:02
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

I have 2 tvs, one 22" LED and one 40" LCD. I also have two LCD monitors and the LCD on my laptop. I think our house would feel very crowded with CRTs replacing them.
Old 14th May 2013, 04:11

Mood
Fine

ive just come to my mums house fir the first time and there are a couple of CRTs in use here. Plus two plasma/lcd/LED whatever high tech ones.
Old 14th May 2013, 07:54
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept
Not any more, but a good CRT still kicks the crap out of anything else when it comes to SD stuff.
I agree, my LCD looks good in HD, better than our old CRTs its much brighter and clearer, but when I use SD on it like playing ps2 the graphics look worse since they look pixelated.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:08

Mood
Bored

Good CRT monitors (e.g. Trinitrons) are 564564094856 times better than any LCD. Photographers and certain medical professionals still use CRTs because of their superior contrast/colour accuracy/responsiveness, and they're still the best for gaming.

CRT TVs suck, though. You can't make a CRT big-screen-TV-sized without messing up the convergence, and the only way to mitigate that is to make the tube really deep, which messes up the focus and makes high resolutions look like crap (which is why CRT HDTVs were so rare and expensive, because only really high-end tubes could make HDTV resolutions look good at large sizes), and also requires making the glass ridiculously thick (and thus really bloody heavy) to stop it from imploding

CRTs will never go away. Serious users will need them for quite a while, just like serious users will always need proper workstations instead of stupid little media consumption toys (aka tablets). LCDs look like crap, and even though OLEDs look good, they're also incredibly expensive and hard to obtain (except in stupid little gadgets), and are also held back by the fact that they currently rely on TFT backplanes (just like LCDs do), which means that they'll still lag like shit, and thus be just as bad for gaming as LCDs..

If only Canon had kept developing SED. I guess all consumer technology is designed with compromises though, just so that serious users will have to pay a premium for non-crippled versions of it, while the proper technology is limited to prototypes, just to wind people up.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:45

Mood
Creative

I had a 100hz CRT monitor for many years but as I spend much more time infront of the screen now with my work, I went for a 120hz LED. Better for migraines and I also don't fancy being exposed to Xrays two feet from my face for ten hours a day.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:54

Mood
Bored

LED is just a marketing scam (it just means an LCD that's lit with LEDs instead of fluorescent tubes). Most LED-lit LCDs look worse than regular CCFL-lit ones. The only time that LED-lit LCDs are an improvement is if they're properly backlit, and not just sidelit, but properly backlit ones are much more expensive.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:23

I'm pretty sure there's a CRT screen along with the old Apple Macintosh LC475 I've got in the loft. Got rid of all the others 6-7 years ago.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:28

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes
LED is just a marketing scam (it just means an LCD that's lit with LEDs instead of fluorescent tubes). Most LED-lit LCDs look worse than regular CCFL-lit ones. The only time that LED-lit LCDs are an improvement is if they're properly backlit, and not just sidelit, but properly backlit ones are much more expensive.
Yes I know, I'm an electronics engineer by trade. Note how I said 120hz (expensive).
Old 14th May 2013, 14:59

Still have one in my bedroom. Occasionally watch tv on it but its saved mostly for playing old SD console games as they look crap on an LCD screen. And for that reason I wont be getting rid of it any time soon.
Old 14th May 2013, 15:20

Have a monitor from an old Amstrad CPC 6128 computer which has had a TV tuner attached to it so is used as a TV these days. Still going strong, but the brightness control is a bit noisy - quite easy to fix with some Servisol though (electronic contact cleaner)!