SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th January 2014, 07:59

Mood
Melancholy

Default Sick of hope.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

I'm going to have a new colleague starting in a few weeks and whenever new people appear in my life like this I can't stop hoping that this might be someone I finally click with. People who I have not met before don't come with any pre-conceived ideas of what I am like so maybe things will be different....

The usual pattern is that I'll try to be friendly but despite this after a couple of days the new person will get absorbed into one of the cliques and I will be left on the outside again.

And yet after thirty years of this I never seem to learn and always have this hope. The disappointment just chips a little bit more of my self esteem away every time.

Does anyone else find this and have trouble learning from it?
Old 14th January 2014, 09:55
Banned at own request

Default Re: Sick of hope.

One thing I've noticed with my work experience is that we shouldn't really expect to be treated really well, especially if we can't find common interests with the person. But I did find a friend who says he had SA at work exp. Eg. Although I have seen another nice guy at work experience we don't click as I haven't watched many movies, we aren't into the same music and so on, so its harder to click with him, although we are good acquaintances.

Tbh, I think it would be hard to find someone who liked some of the same things I like. Although I feel I need to experience more in life.
Old 17th January 2014, 05:13

Mood
Spaced

On the positive side at least you have the opportunity to meet new people, there's always a chance. Ours is a very small team
Old 17th January 2014, 17:17

Mood
Melancholy

This is true. Though we have not had a really 'new' person for 5 years. The few appointments since then have been people who were already known to us (as students or whatever). This person is totally new and is relocating from elsewhere in the country (meaning no established social life in the area).