SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 31st January 2014, 14:47

Mood
Thinking

Unhappy 22 and losing the life game

Absolute loser. Almost 22 and i still have no work experience . I just left university because the anxiety got too much for me to handle. So yup...bingo. I'm stuck and i feel like there is no way out. Also, it's quite obvious to me that my parents want me out pronto. Depression + severe social anxiety + laziness = loser.
Old 31st January 2014, 15:05

Mood
Spaced

Default Re: 22 and losing the life game

Hang in there pal. I was exactly in your position except I didn't go to university, I only managed to get a job because I was put on a work placement by the government. But getting a job isn't everything, I think I feel worse right now than I did when I was unemployed.

You're definitely not alone though. Could you talk to your parents about it?
Old 31st January 2014, 20:53

Mood
Pensive

Ok...forget the laziness...depression and SA will have you absolutely paralysed. You are suffering...and you need some help? Have you talked to your GP? There are lots of posts on here from people who felt terrible and thought they would never change and they have managed to build their confidence and you can too...

Have you been honest with your parents? If you haven't then try it...they may surprise you! You're just at the beginning of your life...facing up to the fact that you have a problem is the first step in overcoming it...there is lots of support out there...Maybe feeling this low is the motivation you need to take the brave and incredibly scary step of asking for help...

Good luck and keep posting on here...
Old 31st January 2014, 21:27

Mood
Alienated

You are anything but a loser. I also left university due to mental health problems. Qualifications aren't everything these days; experience counts for so much more. At your age there is plenty of time to get better and get that experience, but for now you need support to get you through this difficult time.

Your GP is a good start; hopefully they will refer you onto someone used to dealing with the problems you face, such as a counsellor who will be able to give you sound advice. Hang in there, it will get better
Old 1st February 2014, 20:04

Mood
Balanced

Reading between the lines of your post, it sounds like you are going in for quite a bit of blaming yourself for all your problems, and perhaps hating yourself. If I am wrong then you can forget this post, if not then...

This is important to tackle. It is important to tell yourself that you are suffering from a emotional/psychological problem and it is not your fault that you have it - there are things you probably do to exacerbate the problem, like avoidance and bottling up feelings etc etc... but you are not fundamentally a "loser"; you are struggling with a mental health problem that is limiting your life at the moment but with proper recognition and help, you can improve.

Hating yourself is a perfect way to stay stuck. Trust me, I know about that.
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccip
You are still young and life has chosen another path for you. Just run with it, and stop worrying so much coz these things have their own way of working out. When the time is right you'll find your enthusiasm and overcome all the problems that are holding you back. That's the advice I would send back to my own 22-y-o self. Take it and have faith in yourself.
that's cool/inspiring. Mr Riccip is an inspiring guy.
Good advice from others also.