SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th April 2014, 03:51

Mood
Tired

Default stressful situations

Ever been ins a situation with people you're not that comfortable with? Been in those situations when everyone else is wrapped-up in their own in-jokes and stuff, and you're just left there working out what the hell is going on?

Not only that, the one of appearing visibly awkward and getting the feeling that others around you are getting a negative impression, or are taking the piss out of you or how awkward you appear?

I hate situations where I feel like that.

Not only that, but getting an over-powering urge to either run away, or run to the bar to get more more beer, and pretend to enjoy yourself, for fear that people notice you giving 'bad vibes'. I hate it.

The company I was with were not really right, never felt comfortable round that corwd anyway. Maybe may opeople would find a similar social situation equally stressful. The group I was with the previous night were a different story anyway.

I don find loud environments like crowded pubs difficult at the best of times. I find it difficult not to zone out and get caught-up in these thoughs, and to compare myself with how easy others appear to be.
Old 14th April 2014, 04:50

Default Re: stressful situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowone
Not only that, but getting an over-powering urge to either run away
I think that's the point you are supposed to make your excuses and say good bye.
Old 20th April 2014, 15:38

Mood
Lurking

Yeah, i was at a funeral last week and knew hardly anyone except my husband. All his friends from far away were there (people who i hadn't met before) and i just felt overwhelmed by it all. We got there about an hour early and my husband immediately went over to speak to his friends who he hadn't seen for years and i tagged along reluctantly behind. There were so many of them, male and female, and one guy in particular was so loud and made me feel really uncomfortable. I'm not actually sure why, but i felt uncomfortable. My husband didn't introduce me to him, and he bellowed into my face "and who are you?" to which one of the women there answered for me before i could open my mouth. I felt so silly and he must have picked up on this as he kept telling me i was very quiet and that i didn't say much (followed by a deafening laugh). I wanted to punch him in the face. One of the women offered me a cigarette but i don't smoke anymore, so that was a conversation ender. Another one came over to me and kept asking me things that made me panic, and kept looking at me as if she wanted me to say more or something interesting. She said she knew my husband very well from years ago. I just said "Oh right" and moved away. She never came near me again which was to my relief. One guy was nice and spoke to me and i felt i could speak to him. There was a get-together in the pub afterwards which i made an excuse not to go to as i really couldn't have dealt with that at all. I saw all the photos on Facebook and felt so lucky that i wasn't there. Crowds of people make me so nervous.
Old 21st April 2014, 02:17

Mood
Spaced

Ah, the old "you're very quiet" remark. I think we all know it all too well. Made even worse when you feel like you're getting on OK.
Old 21st April 2014, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesH
Ah, the old "you're very quiet" remark. I think we all know it all too well. Made even worse when you feel like you're getting on OK.
I usually get that comment, or are you alright you look really bored!