SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th October 2015, 11:56

Mood
Lurking

Default Being A Hermit

I sometimes think to myself that I would prefer to become a hermit, living somewhere where you have no interaction with other people. You would just be left to get on with your own life. I have read things in the past about people who have lived this way in the 1940's & 1950's.

I think it would be easier to do nowadays if you could find somewhere secluded, as you can get everything delivered now, even your groceries. The only drawback would be being able to afford somewhere to live and having an income.
Old 11th October 2015, 15:19

Default Re: Being A Hermit

it would drive me insane eventually. I went through a period of around 2 years living like an hermit when sa was at its worst and it was driving me crazy. Not so bad to start off with but it got excruciatingly lonely after a while.
Old 11th October 2015, 17:05

I am a hermit, but I just can't escape from people and be in the environment that suits me best. A hermit forced to live a non-hermit life if you like.

I've always been solitary, and always will.
Old 11th October 2015, 17:16

Mood
Lurking

I do think he loneliness could become crippling eventually. But sometimes I just wish that I didn't have to interact with the world outside.

Quote:
Yep, I often consider just going homeless
I have sometimes thought about dropping out of society completely.
Old 11th October 2015, 20:31

Mood
Sweettooth

I hate when people use that word probably just because it describes me so well :/
I really wish I didn't spend 95% of my time at home though and could go out alone and see more of the world
Old 12th October 2015, 10:08

Mood
Tired

I think you have to be really deeply integrated inwardly, really strong mentally, to accomplish being a Hermit,
that's being a Hermit, someone who lives and walks alone in a healthy, positive sense anyway,
someone who has consciously moved away from society, for their own personal reasons, and not as a reaction.
being part of Society brings a lot of psychological security, comfort and reassurance in the form of identity and acceptance.
surviving on your own, walking away from the close-knit community around you can be difficult to survive in a psychological sense,
most people need a certain level of psychological and physical security,.and society often provides that,.
moving away from that could be harmful if you're not up to it.
Old 6th November 2015, 03:46

Mood
Spaced

Don't think I could manage it! I've gone about 2 years where I've only left the house once or twice (even including going on the garden), but I still had my family with me. Don't think I could do it all on my own.

It would be pretty cool living in Alaska or somewhere though