SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th June 2018, 14:29

Mood
Breezy

Default The Gym

Hello SAUK!

I have been a member of this forum for about 7 weeks now and have yet to make a 2nd post. So I think it's about time.

I wanted to share about something that I've found quite difficult but I'm glad I stuck with it!

For years I have wanted to get into the gym. Firstly as a positive and healthy activity to occupy time with and secondly to change my appearance and boost self confidence.

I joined a gym previously and it was a total failure. I felt very self conscious about what I considered to be my skinny appearance and that I wasn't using the equipment properly. I kept bumping into people I knew or didn't really know but knew well enough to say hello. I felt like everyone was watching me and laughing amongst themselves about me. It made the experience very awkward and although I signed up for a year I probably used the place 12 times in 12 months. So it was pointless and I didn't enjoy it.

Two months ago, I joined a gym in away from where I live. I joined on in Bath which is where I work. Initially I used it for free to try it out. I used some of the weight machines which are pretty straight forward but couldn't bring myself to walk round the corner to use the free weights as again I felt so self conscious. However I was determined to stick with it.

I signed up for one month initially which was quite expensive. But given my past experience I wanted to be sure I'd use it enough to justify a year long membership. I used it pretty much every day for the month and kept pushing limits. Not physical limits, my S.A limits! Lol.

I chose times when I knew it would be quiet so I could firstly explore the other parts of the gym and be comfortable with the layout and then start using the equipment. As I got used to the equipment by doing the obvious weight exercises that I knew, I started looking up new ones and watching other people. I still made errors to start with but by this time I felt much less self conscious and beginning to actually enjoy going there.

A month ago I took out the annual membership so now I have been going almost daily for two months. Some of the guys there have actually been really helpful in pointing out some errors I've been making. I've even started saying hello to some of the regular faces and asking advice.

I still find it quite awkard at times as I don't really know how to have a relaxed conversation with people. In fact I have yet to have a conversation with anyone. Up till now it's just been "Hiya, how's it going?" "Yes good thanks." or "Excuse me, am I doing this right?" and that's it. Is it really necessary to have a conversation anyway?!!

Anyway, I've decided there's no way I'm letting my S.A stop me from doing the gym which is something I've always wanted to do. I've persevered with it and it's over two months down the line now. My belly has shrunk (I put on weight since my last gym experience!!) and I've lost 5 kilos which is almost my target of 1 stone.

My arms have grown in the way I intended and the weights I'm lifting are getting heavier. I feel far more confident
in the gym, I enjoy going, I WANT to go there and I look forward to it every day. I am very pleased I stuck with it. I am actually sat in Costa Coffee above the gym right now as I'm going to use it this afternoon.

I hope this post motivates someone who is fearful of doing the same! :-)

Thanks for reading.
Old 6th July 2018, 12:23

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: The Gym

I know man! It's great for confidence and self esteem! So glad I've been sticking with it!

I don't find it a struggle going anymore. I look forward to it. It boosts my mood having been and helps me stay positive!

I recommend it t anyone!
Old 7th July 2018, 13:15

Great work man. You're braver than me, I gave up attempting to go to the gym so I bought a squat rack and benches etc and set up my own gym at home, I've added things to it gradually over this past 3 years but I am in there 6 days per week, first time I've ever really had an interest in anything.
Old 7th July 2018, 15:47

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave81uk
Great work man. You're braver than me, I gave up attempting to go to the gym so I bought a squat rack and benches etc and set up my own gym at home, I've added things to it gradually over this past 3 years but I am in there 6 days per week, first time I've ever really had an interest in anything.
Try the gym now! You know what you're doing, have the confidence to use the equipment successfully and do the exercises correctly. Which is more than me. lol. You will be stepping into an environment where you wont look out of place. :-)
Old 13th July 2018, 22:19

Mood
Bashful

Nice one mate you***8217;re doing better than me. I***8217;m experienced in a gym but could never talk to people and stuff. Kudos ***55357;***56397;
Old 15th July 2018, 23:01

That's really good. Well done and thanks for sharing
Old 18th July 2018, 22:35

Yeh I somehow got my old school gym but just tired of going out of a night and depression tires you anyway. But I still do it at home. yeh I could be the most jacked person and I still wouldn't go to a gym.