SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th August 2017, 21:56

Mood
Musical

Default Dyspraxia?

Have any of you been diagnosed with it and what's the symptoms?
My mum reckons I might have it + I've to be assessed for 2 hrs next week at this place. Cause similar things run in the family.
???
Old 17th August 2017, 13:55

Mood
Musical

Default Re: Dyspraxia?

Interesting, I'm wondering also about Aspergers, but I guess I'll have to see. I also have no problem riding a bike, writing, catching a ball etc. but I do have bad coordination for other things such as not being able to drive etc. alot of it is about social skills, anxiety + depression for me. Interesting otherwise.
Old 17th August 2017, 17:17
Banned at own request

I have a degree of Dyspraxia. I don't have a lot of natural balance, I can't ride a bike and can't swim, I really struggle with standing or walking on a moving train or bus, it's a bit embarrassing because everyone else seems to be coping fine and I'm clinging onto things for dear life
I have dyscalculia and struggle with numbers and counting money. I also sometimes have problems with controlling visual focus.
Nothing too major though.
Old 17th August 2017, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine
I have a degree of Dyspraxia. I don't have a lot of natural balance, I can't ride a bike and can't swim, I really struggle with standing or walking on a moving train or bus, it's a bit embarrassing because everyone else seems to be coping fine and I'm clinging onto things for dear life
I have dyscalculia and struggle with numbers and counting money. I also sometimes have problems with controlling visual focus.
Nothing too major though.
Could have written this myself.

I also can't follow directions and have to think for a minute to tell my left from my right (virtually impossible when trying to tell from a different perspective).
Old 17th August 2017, 19:46

I've never really thought about it, but I can relate to things like never being able to learn to ride a bike, or swim, and being generally off-balance, where I sometimes think I must look drunk when I walk from not keeping straight. I have a fear of driving too, at least the idea of it. The thought of having to be that coordinated and in control of something literally gives me nightmares.
Old 17th August 2017, 19:48

Mood
Musical

With some of the comments on here, I'm beginning to wonder if I have it all.
Old 17th August 2017, 20:20
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Never dxed but have school records mentioning poor coordination. When I asked my father about early childhood pre 8 one of the things he said was "and were physically not too well coordinated, probably because you are left handed".
My sister said on facebook a while back that she thought I was most likely dyspraxic.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:12

Mood
Musical

Co-ordination is my only problem really, fine with balance.
Old 30th August 2017, 22:23

Mood
Lurking

I've never been diagnosed with it, but i think i may have a mild form of dyspraxia. My problem is that i can't judge distances at all. I'm constantly covered in bruises from walking into things, or knocking myself off something. I ruined an expensive alloy wheel not long ago from absolutely kerbing the car as i thought i was much further away from the kerb than i actually was. I'll go to put a glass back in the cupboard for example, but i'll not lift my hand high enough and will bash the bottom of the glass on the cupboard. I can't walk normally, my legs go a bit like jelly and are all over the place. When i was little, my mum always shouted at me to watch where i was going as i walked into things thinking they were further away than they were.
Old 9th September 2017, 20:55
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebka
I don't have dyspraxia but I do have adhd, both share quite a few similarities also I have dysgraphia,
I am never quite sure what the criteria for dysgraphia are.Reports from my prep school headmaster to my public school headmaster mentioned I had difficulty with drawing and writing. Around the age of 11 I had extra writing lessons.
Now my handwriting is badly formed but not illegible. However writing is a slow and quite laborious process. If I try to write more quickly my handwriting noticeably deteriorates.
Old 16th September 2017, 02:58
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Looking through that list I could definitely identify with the following: Poor balance. Difficulty in riding a bicycle, ( Nearly 14 when I learnt. Never that good on it. Not been on a bike for over 35 years), Some people with dyspraxia may have flat feet(have flat feet and high arches, ankles have a tendency to give way if walking a lot) ,Poor hand-eye co-ordination.(Was bad at gymnastics and sport . Usually last to be picked for a team) ,Lack of rhythm when dancing, doing aerobics, Clumsy gait and movement(My late wife often used to comment on this) ,Tendency to fall, trip, bump into things and people ( I sometimes bump into things and people) , Lack of manual dexterity.(Never been good at crafts or DIY. Find things like ironing difficult), Difficulty with typing, handwriting and drawing ( School reports mention my poor handwriting and drawing) ,Inadequate sense of direction, Difficulty in planning and organising thought, Can be messy and cluttered, Difficulty in following instructions, especially more than one at a time,Difficulty in picking up non-verbal signals ,Slow to adapt to new or unpredictable situations, Tendency to opt out of things that are too difficult,Tend to get stressed, depressed and anxious easily,
May have difficulty sleeping, Prone to low self-esteem, emotional outbursts(though these are controlled quite well by the depot antipsychotic).

http://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-adults/