SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd July 2016, 00:29

Mood
Lonely

Default PTSD

I've recently been diagnosed with ptsd. (Another thing) Does anyone have any helpful tips/links, on how to start making steps towards opening up to someone about the past. I've been through quite a lot in my childhood, some of which I've only recently come to terms with and I've never been able to talk openly about.

Any other sufferers here?
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:55

Default Re: PTSD

I self-diagnosed myself with PTSD about six months ago, which thankfully, has improved significantly now. I had a lot of intrusive memories which I simply couldn't stop thinking about. They would make me distressed and I struggled to sleep some nights because of them.

I opened up to my counsellor about them which I believe helped enormously. I would talk through one triggering memory per session, which was painful, but I noticed a quick reduction in how often I thought about that memory afterwards.
Old 22nd July 2016, 23:42

Mood
Sad

I've been diagnosed with PTSD recently. My counsellor suggested writing down every flashback and memory I had and discussing it at a session. It was hell writing everything down but felt it was an enormous help to talk it through with my counsellor. I'm writing down every thought and feeling and then looking back on it when I'm in a calmer mood.
Old 23rd July 2016, 00:41

Mood
Lonely

Thanks for the reply HelloSunshine and PinkLady. Sorry to hear you two are going through the same.
I just cannot see myself being able to talk about the past face to face with someone. I guess I could try writing it all down but it's really triggering for me. I shall give it a try and see how I cope. Things can't be any worse I guess.
Old 23rd July 2016, 08:07

Hi,

I have recently come across complex PTSD (cPTSD) which is defined in general terms by the author (a psychologist) as purely emotional (rather than visual/emotional, as I believe PTSD is) flashbacks to abandonment as a child which could could be caused by either exposure to physical/emotional abuse in childhood.

I mention it because in his books, and on his website http://www.pete-walker.com/index.htm, he describes ways in which you can manage emotional flashbacks and ways to grieve through feelings of abandonment and recognition of losses of the past. His work really resonated with my experience of life and Social Anxiety and I now suspect most SA suffers have some degree of cPTSD.

Also, if you had a tough childhood it may also be worth reading “The Drama of the Gifted Child” by Alice Miller and also looking at stuff written by John Bradshaw.

I would strongly recommend you work with a trained therapist with any of this stuff though, a good therapists support/insight/guidance has/is been/being invaluable to me.
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplesxo
Thanks for the reply HelloSunshine and PinkLady. Sorry to hear you two are going through the same.
I just cannot see myself being able to talk about the past face to face with someone. I guess I could try writing it all down but it's really triggering for me. I shall give it a try and see how I cope. Things can't be any worse I guess.
It took me about five months before I was able to start talking about particularly triggering memories. If you have/can find a counsellor who you feel comfortable and safe with you may be surprised at what you can open up about.
Old 23rd July 2016, 20:44

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2013
You've already taken a big step in talking to someone to be diagnosed, even writing this post is very brave, well done dimples x
Thanks Newbs x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Wukong
Hi,

I have recently come across complex PTSD (cPTSD) which is defined in general terms by the author (a psychologist) as purely emotional (rather than visual/emotional, as I believe PTSD is) flashbacks to abandonment as a child which could could be caused by either exposure to physical/emotional abuse in childhood.

I mention it because in his books, and on his website http://www.pete-walker.com/index.htm, he describes ways in which you can manage emotional flashbacks and ways to grieve through feelings of abandonment and recognition of losses of the past. His work really resonated with my experience of life and Social Anxiety and I now suspect most SA suffers have some degree of cPTSD.

Also, if you had a tough childhood it may also be worth reading “The Drama of the Gifted Child” by Alice Miller and also looking at stuff written by John Bradshaw.

I would strongly recommend you work with a trained therapist with any of this stuff though, a good therapists support/insight/guidance has/is been/being invaluable to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSunshine
It took me about five months before I was able to start talking about particularly triggering memories. If you have/can find a counsellor who you feel comfortable and safe with you may be surprised at what you can open up about.
Thank you so much for the links and reading recommendations Sun Wukong.
I think I'll give those a go.
HelloSunshine I'm on the waiting list to see a therapist so hopefully I'll Eventually be in the position of opening up to them.
Thank you for the replies once again.
Old 24th July 2016, 11:02

No worries, best wishes
Old 4th August 2016, 20:03

Another book that maybe of interest, especially for those impacted by PTSD, is The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk. Its a bit hard going in a few parts but very interesting.
Old 31st May 2018, 21:19

Mood
Lonely

Does anyone else suffer with really vivid flashbacks? Do you have any tips on how to put it out of your mind?
This morning I had some really unsettling memories and I couldn't sleep. I could see it all so clearly. The more I tried to put it out of my mind, the clearer they became. I was in quite a state.
I also had an epiphany that I've been dissociating since a very young age.

I still haven't been able to tell anyone since I started this thread. (apart from online friends).
I'm thinking of trying to mention the dissociation to my therapist next time I see him.
Old 31st May 2018, 21:45

^ Well done for talking about this. Maybe it might help if you chat to you therapist about this.
Old 31st May 2018, 21:55

Mood
Lonely

Thank you I'm a bit worried that he will mention it to my Mum, I know about patient confidentiality but previously (not this subject) my CPN always tells my Mum things.
Old 31st May 2018, 22:03

^^^ I'm sorry you feel you've been suffering with that and obviously this morning sounds horrible. That must have been horrid so i'm sending virtual hugs which is really all I can do! I hope you feel better now
I have nightmares sometimes but aside from that i'm kinda not really vividly thinking about stuff/getting flashbacks. I have one physical trigger that makes me react in a way I can't control because it used to be a precursor to abusive stuff but that's only happened twice and triggered me in the last 17 years so not something I have to worry about. I used to be force fed till I vomited though, so certain foods if I smell them make me feel sick. So yeah I can imagine your torment, really feel for you there

Can you ask him to not tell your mum?? I'm sure he'd like to know your thoughts and will respect your wishes
Old 1st June 2018, 03:00

Mood
Fine

If you ask him to keep it between the two of you, your therapist won't tell anyone else unless he thinks your (or anyone else's) life is at risk. At least that's what I was told about the confidentiality when I had therapy
Old 1st June 2018, 08:27

Mood
Tired

when I began my counselling for SA I had an assessment stage,
the results from the assessment were that they were treating my SA as ptsd,
this is something I hadn't even realised I had, or was suffering from,
but looking back, yeah, it makes sense,
talking it all out with a counsellor or therapist is invaluable, and certainly helped me an awful lot,
as sun wukong said many SA sufferers could possibly have some form of ptsd.
Old 3rd June 2018, 16:26

Mood
Lonely

Thank you for the replies.
I'm sorry you went through that Jd.

I've decided that I am going to try and tackle this by talking about it with my therapist. It might take me a few sessions to actually get through it all but it's time I tell someone. The more I accept it happened the more it effects me, so it's only getting worse.

Vasco I'm really glad counselling helped you. I'd agree with Sun wukong as well.
Old 4th June 2018, 18:50

^ Well done dimples, you're very brave taking to someone might help you move on.