SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What age did you first get a girl friend?
Under 13 8 3.35%
Young teen(13 - 16) 30 12.55%
Older teen(17+) 70 29.29%
I have not yet found my first love 131 54.81%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 24th October 2006, 23:30

Default Re: What age did you get your first proper Girlfriend?

First bf under 13, it didn't work out that well even though we went out for a year. I didn't like him as much as he liked me but didn't have the hart to tell him which was slighlty wrong on my count.

I've been pretty disinterested in going out with people, to the point that I claimed to be asexual just to get people off my back about why I don't have a boyfriend, my SA probably contributes to it but when I want a relationship I want it to be with someone I really love and not just someone I like.
Old 25th October 2006, 03:28

Well Milesmartin although you added us girls (can I still call myself a girl at 33?)in at the last minute, I will still post my reply :D

I would have to say I had my first kiss at 14, it was horrible did not fancy him at all but you know I was 14! Had a few casual boyfriends after that but they never lasted as I was so scared of saying/doing something stupid that I almost didn't communicate at all. My first proper boyfriend would be at age 16 which lasted a couple of years but he was not right for me and I ended it
I am currently waiting for Mr Right to show up, I know hes out there somewhere

By the way, I've seen your picture, I wouldn't think you would have any problems getting a girlfriend
Old 25th October 2006, 21:33

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer
Well Milesmartin although you added us girls (can I still call myself a girl at 33?)in at the last minute, I will still post my reply :D

I would have to say I had my first kiss at 14, it was horrible did not fancy him at all but you know I was 14! Had a few casual boyfriends after that but they never lasted as I was so scared of saying/doing something stupid that I almost didn't communicate at all. My first proper boyfriend would be at age 16 which lasted a couple of years but he was not right for me and he did in fact tell me his friends thought I was not good enough for him, which did wonders for my SA But it turns out HE was not good enough for ME and I ended it
I am currently waiting for Mr Right to show up, I know hes out there somewhere

By the way, I've seen your picture, I wouldn't think you would have any problems getting a girlfriend
(sneaks out of sa retirement lol)

Thanks for your comment on my picture, that made me happy. At uni ive met a few girls, but because i have 0 life experience with relationships, i have no idea what to do. On holiday when i have met girls, its been easy, but in real life, its different and hard.

Plus, they all seem to be clubbers lol.

I would say ive not had a 'proper girl friend' but i have had brief romance on holiday. Im 18 and im finding it very hard because the past 3 years ive been left behind. I feel like im 18 but inside, i have life experience of say '14'. I have no idea of the signs girls give off, and im scared im giving off wrong signils that put the girls i like, off.

Plus, its made even harder when those around you are so full of confidence, mathching their appeal is hard enough

Thanks for bringing the topic back up
Old 27th October 2006, 10:14

19 though it didn't last long

Any before were crushes.
Old 28th October 2006, 15:03

I'm 18 - 19 in February and I've never had a boyfriend. I feel ashamed to admit it.
Old 28th October 2006, 16:13

Mood
Blah

26 and still waiting!
Old 28th October 2006, 19:11

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireLou
I'm 18 - 19 in February and I've never had a boyfriend. I feel ashamed to admit it.
#]

You wanna be my girlfriend lol?
Old 29th October 2006, 00:11

Mood
Crappy

oi join the line, me first. Also 18 and no girlfriend. Thing Is I've had some interested, and I'm either too scared to make the first move (I have to keep pinching myself several times to really confirm their interest, and in one case to shallow to consider a relationship with someone in particular, even though she's a REALLY great person
Old 29th October 2006, 02:00

Still waiting at 27
Old 2nd November 2006, 02:11

None for me at 37 years ancient unless i count a friend in the infants when i was 5 or 6.
Old 2nd November 2006, 18:59

Mood
Volatile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireLou
Don't be Clarie Lou, I made a bit of a mistake and was influenced by an idiot. I made a big mistake cos I was ashamed I had never had b'friend and was worried what some girl thought who used to give me a hard time. In those days whether I liked somone never came into things, if anyone talked to me I felt so happy I would not want to risk loosing that.

Looking back she was a cow and I did lots of things so she would not hate me - now I look back if I had an ounce of confidence I would never have wanted to associate myself with her. That was shortly after my 18th birthday.

I met someone nice a few weeks before my 20th birthday. He was my first love which lasted 8years. Again I should have left him earlier but did not believe anyone else would ever want me. In theend I was infatuated with him and feared loosing him.

Take your time and be proud of doing so! I'm certainly in no rush to meet anyone else. It sounds really corney but you can't really love and respect someone until you can love and respect yourself.
Old 6th November 2006, 15:30

im 20 , still waiting
Old 6th November 2006, 16:43

Ive had 2 girlfriends in my life, at 17 and 18, neither lasting more than a couple of months. It's been almost 6 years since the second, and now it's almost as though i feel girls are totally alienated by me (obviously i'm not the only guy that feels like that here). It's just like theres no sparkle anymore whenever i talk to a girl. I either get the wrong impression, or it ends up being one of those 'talking a few times on msn, and then they dissapear' situations. i'm not quite sure what to think now.

Rob
Old 6th November 2006, 17:33

Mood
Blah

Pushing 25 and still no girlfriend yet. Ive had friends who are girls in the past (mostly online) but never a relationship. This is mainly due to never being in a position to meet any as I work in an all male environment and spend most of my own time stuck indoors. Id like to meet someone but Ive got to seriously change my lifestyle to make it happen.
Old 21st December 2006, 21:17

I'm 22 and never had one. See the problem with me is that although now I can talk to girls without dying of fear I don't know what to say, the crucial years of my life where you build conversational skills were killed by SA thus other guys soon jump in on the act and i'm out of the picture before I've even had a chance to talk. A shame
Old 22nd December 2006, 11:08

First silly girlfriend would be 10 years old, I was going to meet her in a cafe but got cold feet - I rang her up and told her I "had a cough"

First "proper" girlfriend was at 15/16, only about 3 months I think. I remember being gutted when we split up because I was so close to "going all the way" with her

It's amazing how much of an obsession "going all the way" is when you are young. It's this mystical thing that you know you want to do, but have no idea what it's really going to be like - all you can do is speculate with your mates!

Saying that, it's still pretty much an obsession :santa3:
Old 23rd December 2006, 04:30

First time I kissed (well, more than kissed) a girl was when I was 19. S A has always been a huge barrier for developing a relationship. When you go to uni, Martin, you'll have a greater chance of finding someone. The other side of the coin is all the people and SA etc.
Old 26th December 2006, 22:21

Mood
Sad

I'm 18 and i've never had a girlfriend (as well as having barely any friends actually lol!), and i've also never kissed or anything like that. It used to really bother me but now i just think **** it, i'm sure i'll meet someone in the future. There is actually a girl i really like at college, but she is in a long term relationship like most the girls ive ever liked, plus i have the social skills of a 7 year old that make it difficult to talk to her.

I think, like many other people that my lack of experience, lack of confidence and my S.A. are the problem, as i wouldn't say i was ugly or too boring. I have had girls interested in me in the past, but cos of my lack of experience, its pretty much impossible to tell whether they like me or are just being friendly. Like a few months ago, i was on the bus going to town and when i got off, a girl was apparently eyeing me up, but i didn't even notice! It was only a few days later i found out when someone who i know who was at the bus stop at the time told me!
Old 17th January 2007, 11:10

Mood
Happy

Hehe! Well, none of the boys at school liked me - I was seen as a freak & bullied a lot, so my first (and only) boyf I met through a friend when I was 17. He was her boyf at the time so it did get VERY messy, but things actually worked out and we're still together just over 3 years later.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:00

"Still waiting". Perhaps it's not that bad, there's still time, but I got none to look forward to either. Anyone who'd ever manage to get that close to me would have to be a magician. Or a rapist. Or Jesus Christ.
Old 17th January 2007, 21:36

26! Be patient!
Old 17th January 2007, 22:15

I was 14 - i was always quite gregarious and confident up until age 15, though i always suffered from manic high and lows from as far back as age 5.

After that GF that lasted 6 months, i didnt have a proper GF again until i was 23, with only one night stands from age 20 until then and no female partners or friends up until age 20.

I often feel that having no experience of girls as friends throughout my teens, and viewing them as some kind of enemy who didnt like or find me attractive back then, has had huge shaping on me seeing girls as commodities, and as sex as something to use them for as a conquest... rather than a healthy drive as part of a relationship, or between 2 consenting adults for fun.

It's one of the many many ****ed up ways i dont feel social norms that i need to address with a very powerful and wise psychologist
Old 18th January 2007, 05:30

Mood
Cool

Ok where do i start.

I lost my virginity at 14 but i didn't really get my first proper girlsfriend until i was 21/22. The problem with me is, and always has been, is that i'm really bad at the initial contact with women. Unfortuently as sods law states the first few minutes are the most important which means 9 time out of 10 i'm screwed. Practically every relationship i've been in, and there haven't been that many, have been the result of a friendship or aquantance that sort of grew.
Old 18th January 2007, 05:31

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ron Burgundy
I was 14 - i was always quite gregarious and confident up until age 15, though i always suffered from manic high and lows from as far back as age 5.

After that GF that lasted 6 months, i didnt have a proper GF again until i was 23, with only one night stands from age 20 until then and no female partners or friends up until age 20.

I often feel that having no experience of girls as friends throughout my teens, and viewing them as some kind of enemy who didnt like or find me attractive back then, has had huge shaping on me seeing girls as commodities, and as sex as something to use them for as a conquest... rather than a healthy drive as part of a relationship, or between 2 consenting adults for fun.

It's one of the many many ****ed up ways i dont feel social norms that i need to address with a very powerful and wise psychologist
One night stands are, sadly, an impossibility for me.
Old 26th January 2007, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheysreturns
I'm 22 and never had one. See the problem with me is that although now I can talk to girls without dying of fear I don't know what to say, the crucial years of my life where you build conversational skills were killed by SA thus other guys soon jump in on the act and i'm out of the picture before I've even had a chance to talk. A shame
Thats exactly what its like for me, i also missed out on the important years, seeing no-one outside of school (i was hardly ever there anyhow) from about 11 - 16..... I can talk to people fine, but just have nothing to say. It worries me that im almost 20 and can't see the situation ever changing...
Old 28th January 2007, 15:31

I fell in love with my bf at around 14. I still miss him every day.

I first had my proper relationship at 17.
Old 20th February 2007, 17:43

bah never, im 19
Old 20th February 2007, 22:09

Mood
Pensive

I was 22
Old 24th February 2007, 20:41
Banned

I was 22 when i first kissed a girl.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:23

Boyfriend...19. Just recently.

I bet he's readin this. :winkpurpl
Closed Thread