SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd July 2017, 16:12

Mood
Bored

Default Re: Do you like human beings?

I really don't like Pathetic Earthling (me) and that makes it impossible to like anybody else.
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:42

Mood
Insomnious

I can be very misanthropic. It's easy enough to find evidence that people are a bunch of stupid monkeys who didn't evolve enough. Watch the news to see the latest shitty things that people have done to each other. Hitler and Donald Trump are human so the human race is just a sack of arseholes, and I'm human so I'm an arsehole too.

It's bullshit though. It's all too easy to see the bad when you feel depressed and alienated. People are imperfect, and some of them are complete ****ing arseholes. But that's no reason to hate everyone. Ghandi. Yeah what a ****ing prick! Nelson Mandela, what a piece of shit! Misanthropy can be contradictory. You hate people because of the way they behave towards each other, which shows a concern for human wellbeing. I don't think anyone's misanthropic enough to think that the holocaust was a good idea because it got rid of a lot of humans.

The human race can be disappointing. If God made us then he/she didn't do a very good job. We're deeply flawed apes who probably should have stayed in the damn trees. And you're one of those flawed apes. Hating people means either hating yourself too or thinking that you're better than everyone else. People who think that they're better than everyone else are total *****. So hate yourself too because you're human. Or maybe just hate some people while recognising that most people, flawed though they are, can actually be quite nice. And maybe if you didn't judge humanity so harshly then you wouldn't judge yourself as harshly either.
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:54

Mood
Mellow

No. I spot a bad one a mile-off. Ingrained in my self-belief system.
Old 23rd July 2017, 17:15

A combination of HermannHesse's post and Florescent Grey's has been in my mind of late.

I've almost given up on us at times, but I guess the keyword is almost.

I still like to think we have it in us to repair the damage that we've done, and find a better equilibrium with nature and the rest of the lifeforms on this planet. Does that excuse us for the indulgence and the mess that we've caused in the last 250 years? No.

Thing is, the sycophants and the masters they serve are not the entirety of this race. Remember it when shit gets dark in the head.
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:25

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescent Grey
I can be very misanthropic. It's easy enough to find evidence that people are a bunch of stupid monkeys who didn't evolve enough. Watch the news to see the latest shitty things that people have done to each other. Hitler and Donald Trump are human so the human race is just a sack of arseholes, and I'm human so I'm an arsehole too.

It's bullshit though. It's all too easy to see the bad when you feel depressed and alienated. People are imperfect, and some of them are complete ****ing arseholes. But that's no reason to hate everyone. Ghandi. Yeah what a ****ing prick! Nelson Mandela, what a piece of shit! Misanthropy can be contradictory. You hate people because of the way they behave towards each other, which shows a concern for human wellbeing. I don't think anyone's misanthropic enough to think that the holocaust was a good idea because it got rid of a lot of humans.

The human race can be disappointing. If God made us then he/she didn't do a very good job. We're deeply flawed apes who probably should have stayed in the damn trees. And you're one of those flawed apes. Hating people means either hating yourself too or thinking that you're better than everyone else. People who think that they're better than everyone else are total *****. So hate yourself too because you're human. Or maybe just hate some people while recognising that most people, flawed though they are, can actually be quite nice. And maybe if you didn't judge humanity so harshly then you wouldn't judge yourself as harshly either.
Nice post!
There's plenty of evidence for both the good and the bad, the positive and the negative and the constructive and destructive potentials in human beings. We are indeed deeply flawed as individuals and as a collective. But sometimes I think we need to stop moaning about things and do what a very wise man once said: BE the change we want to see in the world.

Instead of sitting back and whinging about everything and everyone, maybe it's better to get on with creating positive changes ourselves. It doesn't matter how small. We can all do small things that improve our own lives, the lives of those around us and the immediate environment we live in.

It's so easy to hate and judge, but that's lazy and the easy way out really. We are all flawed and all messed up to a degree. We've all made mistakes and will all continue to do so in future. None of us will ever be perfect. But scratch the surface and the overwhelming majority of human beings are pretty decent really.

It's interesting that when I hated myself I generally hated people too. When I couldn't tolerate or accept myself I found it harder to tolerate or accept others too. But once I learned to accept myself and my flaws I found it easier to accept others and their flaws too. I suppose when you learn to give yourself a break you can also be more likely to give others a break too.
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:31

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Amsterdam
Nice post!
It's interesting that when I hated myself I generally hated people too. When I couldn't tolerate or accept myself I found it harder to tolerate or accept others too. But once I learned to accept myself and my flaws I found it easier to accept others and their flaws too. I suppose when you learn to give yourself a break you can also be more likely to give others a break too.
People are strange, when you're a stranger. I still struggle with self-loathing, though it's not as bad as it was. The world becomes hostile when you think so little of yourself because you don't believe you deserve any kindness or love. People will hate me like I hate myself. Strip away any chance of positive feelings from another person then all they can do is hurt you, so what's the point? The fox and the grapes. Trying to learn that that's wrong.
Old 26th July 2017, 23:45

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2
I love human beings, but I sometimes hate the things that they do! Someone drove too fast past my home this week and killed my beautiful cat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird McFlumpsy
^ So sorry to hear that VO2 that is so horrible.
Why can I find people with feelings on the internet but none irl. Where I'm from people around here would think its funny if there neighbors cat was killed. I live in a small dirt bag town in America.
Old 27th July 2017, 15:03

Mood
Torn

[QUOTE=biscuits;2319928]I like people in general. I'm just not very good at being a person or knowing how to be with other people.QUOTE]

...I totally agree with this - but right now, I prefer to be on the periphery of humankind
Old 27th July 2017, 20:54

Not really, everyone has imperfections, foibles and quirks that over time annoy me more and more.
Old 28th July 2017, 19:03

I think I do, yeah. Not loads - probably to a similar degree that Corbyn likes the EU.

I'm not convinced that humans are especially selfish or 'immoral', at least compared to other animals. Selection pressures and reinforcement favour behavioural tendencies that maximise personal gain in all animals, not just us. It's clear that the consequences of our selfishness can be far greater (see war, global warming, etc.), but that's more likely to be a function of our superior capacity for carrying out complex, goal-directed behaviour and our sheer numbers. Give the same to any other animal and consequences would be similar - they'd end up destroying the environment, other animals and each other on a greater scale.

That all said, we have the ability to reflect on - and to some extent foresee - the consequences of our actions and to seek alternatives. I think we could do much better.
Old 29th July 2017, 14:25

We'll said. Though I'd say the systems and institutions at play compliment our biology unfortunately.
Old 29th July 2017, 15:27

With SA you can cut yourself off, process other people in your head as this and that but you'll surely only develop/continue to cultivate a siege mentality doing that. There are a lot of really good people out there, as we all know deep down, and while animals are great, solid positive connections and interactions with other people offer the only real relief and respite from mental health issues. Not easy with SA I appreciate.
Old 29th July 2017, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Amsterdam
Nice post!
There's plenty of evidence for both the good and the bad, the positive and the negative and the constructive and destructive potentials in human beings. We are indeed deeply flawed as individuals and as a collective. But sometimes I think we need to stop moaning about things and do what a very wise man once said: BE the change we want to see in the world.

Instead of sitting back and whinging about everything and everyone, maybe it's better to get on with creating positive changes ourselves. It doesn't matter how small. We can all do small things that improve our own lives, the lives of those around us and the immediate environment we live in.

It's so easy to hate and judge, but that's lazy and the easy way out really. We are all flawed and all messed up to a degree. We've all made mistakes and will all continue to do so in future. None of us will ever be perfect. But scratch the surface and the overwhelming majority of human beings are pretty decent really.

Good post.