Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th May 2006, 11:14

Mood
Pensive

Default nostalgia

Feeling pissed off so thought I'd start a thread to remember the good old days when you could go to the pictures, have eight pints and still have change from half-a-crown.

Anyone remember Lem Fizz. They were little square yellow sweets. I think they were about two for a penny. My sister and I used to crush them up and put them in water to make fizzy drinks for our dolls' tea parties.

Any other memories?
Old 14th May 2006, 11:48

Mood
Worried

Default Re: nostalgia

Oh my god don't get me started on nostalgia lol. I could write a whole long page on that subject alone!

But ok I'll just keep the post small..

Candy bins (the little plastic bins that have chalky sweeties inside), gummy burgers, icy cups (LOVED them - they were these little foil cups with cool tasting choccy in them), mint bubblegum golfballs, fizz wizz pop rocks, flumps, opal fruits (they just dont taste the same now that theyre starburst!), Poppets (hehe my dad's nickname for me was Poppet when I was younger)...Annd...I'll add more later if I can think of anymore =p.

Last edited by ShyDoll; 14th May 2006 at 12:04.
Old 14th May 2006, 14:04

Funnily enough I was thinking about the link between nostalgia and SA today. I've always had a strong yearning for bygone things, whether it be films I saw 20 years ago, places I've been in the past etc. etc. and whilst I appreciate that SA or not, everyone loves a bit of nostalgia, I can't help thinking that having SA magnifies this trait as it offers escapism from our current life.

Then again maybe it's just me
Old 14th May 2006, 14:10

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightonian
Funnily enough I was thinking about the link between nostalgia and SA today. I've always had a strong yearning for bygone things, whether it be films I saw 20 years ago, places I've been in the past etc. etc. and whilst I appreciate that SA or not, everyone loves a bit of nostalgia, I can't help thinking that having SA magnifies this trait as it offers escapism from our current life.

Then again maybe it's just me
I agree Brightonian. I think we look to the past with rose-coloured glasses, trying to recapture those parts of the past which were not fraught with anxiety.

I've just remembered my mum giving me a spoon of Virol as a tonic. It was a syrupy substance. I never understood why she gave us it. But I liked the taste. I don't think I'm quite old enough to have had it out of this container though!
Old 14th May 2006, 14:24
Banned (by own request)

A preperation of bone marrow
Old 14th May 2006, 16:06

Mood
Lucky

'Naff Co.' T-shirts from the mid-90's. Basically rip-offs of Naf-Naf.

PS: Mico, that is a fantastically disturbing sig. It reminds me of the first ten minutes of 'Irreversible'.
Old 14th May 2006, 16:18
Banned (by own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quiet Dan
'Naff Co.' T-shirts from the mid-90's. Basically rip-offs of Naf-Naf.
Not to forget t-shirts that change colour, so everyone can see when you're getting hot and sweaty.

Quote:
PS: Mico, that is a fantastically disturbing sig. It reminds me of the first ten minutes of 'Irreversible'.
It is quite a gem. I'm just waiting for it to be pulled down though for taking up bandwidth.
Old 14th May 2006, 16:28

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mico
Not to forget t-shirts that change colour, so everyone can see when you're getting hot and sweaty.
'Global Hypercolor' I think they were called. 'What a stupid idea,' I thought to myself at the time. They sold thousands.
Old 14th May 2006, 17:33

Mood
Worried

I remember those Majika!

And ooh when they used to have the little prize thingies in crisp packets (I think they stopped doing that now 'cause theyre a health hazard or something..Meh)..
I remember I used to collect the Star Wars things out of Walkers crisps.

Oooh and does anyone remember Pogs? I used to have such a huge Pogs collection - used to carry them around in first school like a security blankie hehe.

Ooh and Power Rangers! (hehe sorry I'm getting carried away). I was like the only girl in my class at school who liked them =p I felt so un-girly.
Old 14th May 2006, 18:45
Banned (by own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
remember those salt n shake crisps? you had a little packet of salt in the crisp bag .
You still get them
Old 14th May 2006, 19:07

Mood
Pensive

What about Creamola Foam? It came out in the mid-Sixties. It was a powder you mixed with water to make a delicious fizzy drink.
I remember my sister who is now 40 when she was about two saying: "Can I have some ceemola-hola?"

Old 14th May 2006, 20:09

I liked the 'prize' fudge and raisin chocolate bar, and 'ruffle' bars , and MB bars .
Old 14th May 2006, 20:24
Banned (by own request)

And the days when a Snickers was a Marathon bar
Old 14th May 2006, 20:29

I always wanted a chopper still do ( even though they are a bit to big for me )
Old 14th May 2006, 21:18
Banned (by own request)

I had a Tomahawk, the kids version of a chopper, smaller and with no gears.

Old 15th May 2006, 00:02

They are cute too
Old 15th May 2006, 00:34

Mood
Pensive

On the subject of toys. When I was about 10 or 11 there was a toy called a Glook which had long fur which you could style and comb. A bit like a gonk which was popular around the same time.
I haven't been able to find any pictures and the only reference I've found is this:
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Home_...tion34554.html

Around the same time Clackers came into being. I think they were again revived quite recently.

Old 15th May 2006, 00:41

Mood
Lucky

I remember these little cheapo figures called Action Jacks that came in a dinky cardboard box. They were basically the same chap, but came in a variety of different uniforms and colour schemes. Some were various army-types but you could get firemen and cowboys and stuff - I think they came with various accessories tucked away in the box. They were pretty easy to break but there was something cool about them.
Old 15th May 2006, 00:49

I wasn't allowed clackers was told 'they are dangerous'

Remember metal rollerskates , i was never off mine .
Old 15th May 2006, 00:54

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyfingers
I wasn't allowed clackers was told 'they are dangerous'

Remember metal rollerskates , i was never off mine .
I think that's why they were discontinued - as they were too dangerous.
Yes, the old rollerskates you tied on over your shoes! I never had a pair of my own and never really mastered it when borrowing other people's.
Old 15th May 2006, 06:08

Mood
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quiet Dan
I remember these little cheapo figures called Action Jacks that came in a dinky cardboard box. They were basically the same chap, but came in a variety of different uniforms and colour schemes. Some were various army-types but you could get firemen and cowboys and stuff - I think they came with various accessories tucked away in the box. They were pretty easy to break but there was something cool about them.
Wow, I'd forgotten all about them! You could pull their head off and they would fall to pieces, but you could put them back together again.
Old 15th May 2006, 13:01

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57
Yes, the old rollerskates you tied on over your shoes! I never had a pair of my own and never really mastered it when borrowing other people's.
I had the plastic versions of those. Think they were made by fisher price...
Old 15th May 2006, 14:07

Mood
Pensive

I remember my mum getting washing powder in her grocery order. Tide or Daz used to give free plastic flowers and my mum used to give us the plastic flowers.
Old 15th May 2006, 18:17

Quote:
What about Creamola Foam?
That was great, I loved it!
Old 16th May 2006, 08:53

Mood
Pensive

This was THE magazine for teenage girls in my youth. I often thought about writing to the Cathy and Claire page about my problems but never did.

PS This isn't a photo of the original magazine but a nostalgic book about the magazine but the picture shows what the mag contained. There were no photos of the original sadly.
Old 17th May 2006, 08:32

Mood
Pensive

I was thinking this morning about the playground games we used to play. Children don't seem to play them any more. We had chain-tig, Wall-to-wall, French skipping, Wallflowers, The big ship sails on the Ally-ally-O, Chin-Chin Chinaman Help Help Help!, and the skipping rhymes. Girls don't seem to play skipping games any more. Even the boys used to join in sometimes. I remember loads of the rhymes. Here is one:

Have a cigarette Sir
No Sir
Why Sir?
Cos I've got a cold Sir
Where did you get it from?
From the North Pole Sir
What were you doing there?
Catching polar bears Sir
How many did you catch with a pitch-patch- Pepper

At this point the rope would be turned really quickly. This was called peppers in skipping terms. You had to see how many peppers you could get before you were out.

There were also the ball games... I could go on for ever.
Old 17th May 2006, 11:00
Ruby1

Yay i'm loving this thread :roundnrou

The best thing bout being a kid in the eighties was these sexy lil guys fwaaaaaaar and the smellier the better i say!

Old 17th May 2006, 20:14

Quote:
What about Creamola Foam? It came out in the mid-Sixties. It was a powder you mixed with water to make a delicious fizzy drink.
I remember my sister who is now 40 when she was about two saying: "Can I have some ceemola-hola?"

Oh No!!! I have a vague memory of this stuff. I would have forgotten I remembered it if you hadn't posted the picture.........if you know what I mean.

Does anybody remember sweet peanuts? As far as I know, I'm the only person that does. They are probably the reason I now have too many fillings in my teeth.
Old 17th May 2006, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby1
Yay i'm loving this thread :roundnrou

The best thing bout being a kid in the eighties was these sexy lil guys fwaaaaaaar and the smellier the better i say!

Do you still have any or did you lose them somehow?
Old 17th May 2006, 20:58

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerridwen
Oh No!!! I have a vague memory of this stuff. I would have forgotten I remembered it if you hadn't posted the picture.........if you know what I mean.

Does anybody remember sweet peanuts? As far as I know, I'm the only person that does. They are probably the reason I now have too many fillings in my teeth.
I've had sweet peanuts. I expect you can still buy them although I haven't seen them for a while.
Closed Thread