SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd February 2011, 17:29

Mood
Artistic

Default SA & gigs

I'm going to a gig next sunday (My Chemical Romance - woooo!)
They're my favorite band and I've been looking forward to seeing them for ages... but does anyone else find that they can't let go and fully enjoy themselves at gigs?

I want to jump about and be like I'd be when I'm at home, but I'm so scared about what everyone else thinks that I end up not enjoying myself as much as I should have.

... and while i'm at it... what gigs do other people having coming up?
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:33

Mood
Nerdy

Default Re: SA & gigs

Yeahh im like that -.- When I went to see linkin park I was all excited and then i was like im gonna look like an idiot just standing there but i dont wanna look stupid.. :P
But just try not to care what other people think and have fun its not often you get to see your fave band live.
And Im seeing Blink 182 soon ^_^
I did have a few others but im not going now as me and crowds are a no go and blink 182 was a present and seating so all good :3
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:34

I've had some of the best nights of my life at gigs, because when you're in such a big crowd at a gig, you know everyones gonna have their eyes on the stage and the act, so you don't need to worry as much about people looking at you... and obviously if you're at a gig its most likely one that plays music you really enjoy and music makes me feel good. I won't start jumping and dancing until everyone else does though, obviously. But once it gets going its such an awesome atmosphere. I haven't got any gigs coming up though.
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:41

Mood
Spaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotAPorkChop
I've had some of the best nights of my life at gigs, because when you're in such a big crowd at a gig, you know everyones gonna have their eyes on the stage and the act, so you don't need to worry as much about people looking at you... and obviously if you're at a gig its most likely one that plays music you really enjoy and music makes me feel good. I won't start jumping and dancing until everyone else does though, obviously. But once it gets going its such an awesome atmosphere. I haven't got any gigs coming up though.
Yeah, this. I can really let go once it gets going and it's amazing, I don't even mind going alone if it's a band I really like.
I'm really rubbish at getting to them now though, feel like I've gotten a bit old and don't know half the bands that are around and then when something does come up I don't find out until after it's happened
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:59

Mood
Artistic

I saw Pendulum and completely let go - it was amazing! I was buzzing for a few days afterwards! But I've been to gigs since and I can't let go.
Then again, the last one I went to was Guns n Roses and it was well bad.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:46

Mood
Doubtful

I love your avatar! Well, I waited til i was 23 before i stepped foot in a club because i was absolutely terrified of looking stupid and not being able to dance, and i think clubs are potentially scarier than gigs cos at a gig, everyone's looking at the band and not you. I was amazed to find that most people don't have particularly special moves or anything. They're just there to let off some steam and enjoy the music (ok, yes and possibly to pull but we'l ignore that for now) and personally, i found no-one gave a damn about me, no-one gave me dirty looks or horrible comments and if they did, i didn't know about it, cos i was having too much fun dancing! I wish id done it sooner. I think it's much the same with gigs, except as i said, it's even better, cos who's gona be looking at you and laughing instead of watching the band they paid all that money to see?
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:50

Mood
Musical

For me it depends on the vibe of the gig, one of the best I went to was seeing Greenday at MK Bowl, everyone just went completely mental! So then I feel like I can join in but when I recently went to see The Prodigy I felt like I would stand out as not everyone was jumping around.

Got Foo Fighters coming up at MK Bowl, when I saw them at the 02 was amazing. Is a while off but can't wait!
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:51

Mood
Artistic

Yeah, clubs are the worst actually. I'm ok with clubs in Birmingham, but theres a little club in my town and it's horrible!!!

I decided to just go for it once, and the next day at work one of the guys said he saw me 'really going for it' on the dancefloor and laughed. I could have died!
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:05

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvle
Yeah, clubs are the worst actually. I'm ok with clubs in Birmingham, but theres a little club in my town and it's horrible!!!

I decided to just go for it once, and the next day at work one of the guys said he saw me 'really going for it' on the dancefloor and laughed. I could have died!
Maybe he was impressed but had an immature way of showing it
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:05

Mood
Chatty

I have Micheal Monroe and Hardcore Superstar. I haven't actually bought tickets for either yet, but am hoping to go to one at least.
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:58

I don't worry about SA at gigs once I'm inside the venue, just a big crowd of people in a dark room so you can be anonymous easily. If I'm on my own then I'll get there late to avoid standing in the queue outside.

The kind of gigs I go to have moshpits rather than dancing so there are no 'moves' as such.

Next Gig: Children of Bodom in April
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:03

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmephil
The kind of gigs I go to have moshpits rather than dancing so there are no 'moves' as such.

Next Gig: Children of Bodom in April
hah! i havent really done any proper gigs, i did go to a nightclub with a moshpit in...probably the closest i got to ever *dancing*..i also for that short period of time didnt give a toss about my surroundings of it anyone was looking at me...that was quite a decent night on reflection...

Children of Bodom..Nice
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:38

Only been to 1 concert and that was Springsteen at the Emirates a couple of years ago. To be honest I suspect people around me thought I wasn't enjoying it sitting there on my own not joining in with the arm raising and singing, but I loved it just didn't have the confidence to join in.
Was a fan for years but not having anyone to go with I suspected I would feel out of place going on my own which is strange considering I go to sports matches and comedy gigs on my own.
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:47

Mood
Musical

Yeah i used to be wary of gigs/festivals and tend just to lurk at the back until one of my fav bands at the time were on so i just let my hair down and went for it... never looked back since that was many years ago now, i love going to them....

I have Reel Big fish this month, March i have the Decemberists and April i have one of my fav bands The Unthanks...
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lantern

I have Reel Big fish this month, March i have the Decemberists and April i have one of my fav bands The Unthanks...
I've seen them, great live band
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:51

Mood
Musical

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmephil
I've seen them, great live band

Yes they are i've seen them about 3/4 times now... my music taste is abit different now but still love em.... also Less than Jake

Edit :

that reminds me i need to play some Less then Jake... not heard it for an age
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:18

Mood
Spaced

lol less than jake were my first ever proper gig, supported by mxpx (I had a big crush on their singer and had a total SA shame moment trying to talk to him afterwards). 10 years ago now
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:20

Mood
Musical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastra
lol less than jake were my first ever proper gig, supported by mxpx (I had a big crush on their singer and had a total SA shame moment trying to talk to him afterwards). 10 years ago now
Wow MXPX i forgot about those.... ahhh memories NOFX as well

will shut up now
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lantern

I have Reel Big fish this month,
Me too It will be the 4th time I've seen them

Less then Jake, MXPX, NoFX...This thread keeps getting better and better

Back to the OP, If you wanna jump around and have fun just go for it Its a dark room full of people doing the same thing as you and their attention is going to be on the band anyway. This is how I see it. I look like an idiot 24/7. I might as well enjoy it.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:06

Mood
Brooding

I used to feel really self-conscious at gigs, really worried that other people would think my dancing was stupid - Im not sure when I stopped feeling like that but now I just think to myself Do I care what the person next to me is doing and can I even see them? - Nope - so they can't care what Im up to - and then I just let loose (admittedly with the help of a couple of ciders too!)
I have Rob Zombie and Skindred coming up at the end of Feb and then Skindred again in April! Can't wait!!! Loved Skindred at Sonisphere last year having never heard them before and now I can't stop listening!!!
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:45

Sometimes i feel like this, maybe thats cos i went with my dad!
also, a few times ive slept really badly the night before or felt ill throughout the day leading up to the gig kinda feeling like i dont wanna go, which is really annoying when your looking forward to it for ages before!

But sometimes the band plays and you just fall into the music and dont care about anything else, thats what i find, most recently at a QOTSA concert,

But i think that if your feeling like that, jsut think that its dark, people can hardly see you, if you do look stupid dancing like me, people will just think your drunk and if you feel a bit intimidated or worried just move, maybe to a less crowded area, most people at concerts are not gonna care cos they just wanna hear the music,
unless you accidentally step on elbow someone who gets to pissed off or you get stuck in a mosh pit at Slipknot, but thats for another time!
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:39

I find that I almost lose my SA at gigs because like other have mentioned, nobody is watching you! Again like others have said, I won't let myself go until everyone else has but I think that's the same for everyone else! Absolutely love going to gigs though and come back buzzing for days. In terms of upcoming gigs I have got;

-Black Stone Cherry
-Sepultura
-101% Pantera (tribute band)
-Turisas
- IRON MAIDEN!!
Closed Thread