SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 22nd April 2011, 13:10

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Bodybuilding

Are guys on steroids more prone to aggression and violent outbursts?
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:10
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomin
Must be something to do with the size they get to mostly.
They can only get to a certain size before there androgen receptors downregulate and they need to take more and more for that same androgenic effect. Not good. Roid Rage for one. My mate is on 4 amps a week. 1000mg Testosterone which is unhealthy. He never abused them for months on end like me but still, he'll be hypogonadal one day.
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:41
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx
It depends on the dosage they take. Some steroids can cause roid rage. Mike Tyson was taking 'Cheque Drops' when he bit Evander Holyfields ear but plain test actually makes you feel good when on it. It's when you come off you are more prone to violent outbursts.
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:56

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx
Bit of difficult one to establish. Unfortunately because it's not socially acceptable and often connected to illegality there aren't many studies on it. The authorities just take the 'drugs are bad' view. But there have been studies to show that abnormal amounts of testosterone (supraphysiological) can cause the person to have lowered level of empathy.

BUT it has been confirmed without doubt that lower than normal levels of Testosterone will cause emotional instability, irritability and mood swings and can often result in aggressive behaviour (like a woman on her period). This is exactly what happens when people come off steroids.

Personally I felt great while on them (happy and a sense of well-being) but lousy coming off them, though I didn't suffer from roid rage I was noticably more irritable and slightly depressed.

Some specific steroids though have been noted for increasing aggression, in fact one (Halotestin) is used almost specifically for that purpose more than any other effect other than it's ability to reduce the users need for sleep. Special forces soldiers have be known to 'use' for both reasons, and also for the tremendous strength gains while on it. It could be that this substance has led to the proliferation of the ancedotal evidence of roid rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze 2
It depends on the dosage they take. Some steroids can cause roid rage. Mike Tyson was taking 'Cheque Drops' when he bit Evander Holyfields ear but plain test actually makes you feel good when on it. It's when you come off you are more prone to violent outbursts.
Yeah Cheque Drops being the other. The are notorious. I wouldn't be surprised if most cases of roid rage weren't directly attributed to people on Halo or Cheque drops or people coming off a cycle.
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:37

Mood
Busy

Is it worth getting a barbell and doing weights at home?
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:10
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

^ Chin ups. Wide grip, close grip, underhand and overhand.
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:58

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuru
I wanna get into shape again but i really don't wanna visit a gym.

What are the best workouts i can do from home for my upper body. I don't need to build much mass, I'm quite a stocky guy at 6"4 i just want some good muscle tone/firmness.
If your already carrying some muscle and want to bring it out, do 3 morning cardio sessions a week, before you've eaten anything, thattle lean you out and it makes you feel awesome, real good start to the day.

Chin ups, sit ups, press ups, pull ups are all good bodyweight exercises you could do 3 times a week.
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:36
Banned

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomin
I did get caught in a take away in Amsterdam when about 5 really, REALLY massive guys ran in and started punching each other. Never seen anyone at that size before
Wouldn't happen to be one of the ones where you take your food out of a hole in the wall..
Old 25th April 2011, 13:26

Mood
Alienated

Shame there is quite a few people with inflated ego's at gyms and on the street if your taller, bigger or stronger - the amount of jealous and cheap snipes you get from people is annoying, mainly from 8 stone chav's.

Decided to just buy 200kg of weight's and train at home, no more leg press or smith machine is the only problem.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:47

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler
Shame there is quite a few people with inflated ego's at gyms and on the street if your taller, bigger or stronger - the amount of jealous and cheap snipes you get from people is annoying, mainly from 8 stone chav's.

Decided to just buy 200kg of weight's and train at home, no more leg press or smith machine is the only problem.
I always used to catch jibes from guys who were bigger than me. Some would follow me around the gym and then try to outdo me on the station I'd just been on and end up looking very stupid. People who were properly into the training didn't have an issue because they just went to train not get into some silly ego contest. These were the same sort of people who'd you'd only ever see training bench and curls
Old 26th April 2011, 02:57
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

I've heard that squats and deadlifts can raise Test levels. can't remember where I heard it though. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 1st May 2011, 10:50

Mood
Sneaky

figured you guys would get the humour in this, i think this guy is so freakin funny

Old 1st May 2011, 12:37

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
figured you guys would get the humour in this, i think this guy is so freakin funny

HAHA that was actually really funny. He rips on all stereo types lol. Good stuff
Old 1st May 2011, 21:02

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidden_away
HAHA that was actually really funny. He rips on all stereo types lol. Good stuff

yeah i think he's really really good xD
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:20
Banned

Mood
Happy

has anyone here tried or does plyometric and isometric exercises on a regular basis?

i ask this coz i'm a bit of an manny pacquiao fanatic and these are two types of exercises that he integrates in his training regime.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:49

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny100
has anyone here tried or does plyometric and isometric exercises on a regular basis?

i ask this coz i'm a bit of an manny pacquiao fanatic and these are two types of exercises that he integrates in his training regime.
Im not to clued up on them If I'm honest but I'm pretty sure they help you develop explosive strength.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:58
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Didn't Manny Pacquiao take steroids? This was the reason that Floyd Mayweather wouldn't fight him.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:12

Mood
Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen One
Is it worth getting a barbell and doing weights at home?
Anyone?

Im thinking this might be a cheap effective way of bulking up without the gym membership and also no fear of comparing my skinny body to the muscle heads
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:27

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Anyone?

Im thinking this might be a cheap effective way of bulking up without the gym membership and also no fear of comparing my skinny body to the muscle heads
I would join the gym mate. I know it may be hard but it will help your SA. Also you have much more access in the gym to more weight and machines. You can get adivce if you need it and it also motivates you to workout I think.

You will be serverly limited in your workouts and how much you can lift at home unless you are willing to spend 500+ on the weights and barbells and and good set of dumbbells. You also need something like a cage if you're going to do it at home and see and sort of improvement in your body.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:30
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Quote:
Anyone?

You'll need a bench mate. You can them quite cheap now. You want to do the major compound exercises that build mass all over rather than dumbell curls etc.. These won't build you up.

The major compund exercises are:

Squats
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Chin Ups

^ Those will build you up.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:51

Mood
Paranoid

I think one thing for me in this fitness world is I cant stop looking at these, models, athletes etc without thinking there is no way they have not done steroids.

I keep thinking that to achieve a natural physique is something that is a little more toned than usual.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:56
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

^ I think most of them have but they keep it a secret. The only reason I let it all out is because I had symptoms of low T. This is when the whole truth came out. If it wasn't for that, I'd have kept it to myself.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:46
Banned

Mood
Happy

bringing this thread back from the dead

anyone here tried 1 rep sets for a long period of time and if so how well did your shape and gains look?
i know i could go join a bodybuilding site but just can't be ass'd
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:51
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee

anyone here tried 1 rep sets for a long period of time and if so how well did your shape and gains look?
Waste of time. That's for power lifting. You want a weight you feel comfortable with doing 5-6 reps.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:54

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Waste of time. That's for power lifting. You want a weight you feel comfortable with doing 5-6 reps.
I agree. Rep range 1-5 is more for strength but 5 reps can build muscle. 8-12 is at the lower end strength with hypertrophy and towards the higher end much more focused on hypertrophy. Anything over 12 is more for endurance.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:58

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Didn't Manny Pacquiao take steroids? This was the reason that Floyd Mayweather wouldn't fight him.
Can't tell if serious...

Course not! Mayweather is just shitting himself and trying to get under Manny's skin so blatantly slanders him. Manny agreed to all the testing regimes that Floyd specified (eventually), but Floyd still ducked him.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:03
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
oh ok.

i'm at a bit of a crossroads at the moment as to what to do with my body at the moment.

i helped out an old employer the other day and had to load off about 70 wide box's that made me have to stretch my arms right out as i was carrying them and they weighed about 5kg each, i was carrying 3 box's at a time of the back of a lorry and into the backroom and boy it felt like one of the best workouts in long, long time and it showed on my upper and lower body, i now feel like somehow replicating on a regular basis.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:04

Mood
Breezy

Quote:

1 rep? You can't do that! No one does because that would mean you were using near enough 100% of your limit strength everytime. You'd basically burn out your CNS and def injure yourself in no time and probably get little in the way of gains because your volume would just be way too low.

If you want to train for strength and hypertrophy you could use a low rep/ high volume scheme say 3 reps for 10 sets. It's hard work (mentally as well as physically exhausting) but it will give you the necessary volume to make gains. But honestly if you are just only starting out lifting you'd be much better off with a traditional body building program and lifting in the 8-10 reps range for 3 to 4 sets. It won't strain your tendons nearly as much for a start and form isn't nearly so critical. Plus you'll get that nice pump that body builders chase.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:08
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
1 rep? You can't do that! No one does because that would mean you were using near enough 100% of your limit strength everytime. You'd basically burn out your CNS and def injure yourself in no time and probably get little in the way of gains due because your volume would just be way too low.

If you want to train for strength and hypertrophy you could use a low rep/ high volume scheme say 3 reps for 10 sets. It's hard work (mentally as well as physically exhausting) but it will give you the necessary volume to make gains. But honestly if you are just only starting out lifting you'd be much better off with a traditional body building program and lifting in the 8-10 reps range for 3 to 4 sets. It won't strain your tendons nearly as much for a start and form isn't nearly so critical. Plus you'll get that nice pump that body builders chase.
ok cheers for da info dom, i've been currently doing 10-12 reps for the past year or so but i'm not completely satisfied with how it has worked out?
Old 3rd June 2011, 00:14

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
ok cheers for da info dom, i've been currently doing 10-12 reps for the past year or so but i'm not completely satisfied with how it has worked out?
There are many other variables! Have you switched up your exercises at least every 6 weeks? If you do flat bench press ad infinitum you won't get any training effect or very little. Most people make the mistake of sticking to the same exercises.

Also eating. Are you eating enough? And at the right times. Post exercise nutrition is extremely important because that is when you will get the most protein synthesis and when you are at your most insulin sensitive. Insulin is vital for growth. You need enough protein in your diet too. The recommendations vary but 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight isn't a bad bet.

Did you get stronger? Even if strength isn't a goal it's a good indicator whether or not you are making progress. If you don't get stronger then you are more than likely plateaued. Time for change.

The body is incredible at adapting to whatever you throw at it. Which is why you need to change your exercise at least every six weeks. This is all dependent on training history. A very experienced lifter, with 5 years of solid lifting will have to change even more frequently. It could be as little as every two weeks!

The other main component is increasing volume. If you did 10-12 reps for 3 sets of ages but with no apparent increase in size then try and add another set. So you end up doing 4 sets. This increase in volume even if you are using the same weight will give you a new stimulus for growth.

And sleep. Lots! Recovery is as vital as actual training.
Closed Thread