SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th March 2020, 19:14

Mood
Balanced

Default Anxiety gone worse.

All this talk of the Corona virus has definitly set my anxiety off worse.

Has it you?, I now dont watch any news or TV and only go on this site, and a few others that dont mention it.

I am aware of this virus though.
Old 15th March 2020, 20:54

Mood
Fine

Default Re: Anxiety gone worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
All this talk of the Corona virus has definitly set my anxiety off worse.

Has it you?, I now dont watch any news or TV and only go on this site, and a few others that dont mention it.

I am aware of this virus though.
Probably best that the Corona Virus Threads are in the Basement, methinks.

Although given that the issue is dominating almost all different levels of Media, everywhere its almost impossible to avoid it anywhere. And its only going to get more extreme in the coming days and weeks......
Old 15th March 2020, 21:04

Mood
Balanced

Yeah I think Basement forum too, I feel the media are causing panic.
Old 15th March 2020, 21:22

I stopped watching/reading the news months ago (except occasionally some foreign news) but one still cannot avoid hearing about it
Old 15th March 2020, 22:31

Mood
Balanced

Yes I definitely wont watch the News, and that is it im on edge more.

I just hope it becomes under control this virus.
Old 15th March 2020, 22:36

Mood
Balanced

Justed wanted to say its not my SA thats been provoked when I say my anxiety has gone up, its my OCD i also suffer from.

I think we just need to carry on living and not fear, it will sort out. Also watch for crowded groups, keep a distance, never touch anything outside and then touch mouth, eyes, nose.
Keep hands washed and clean them regular.
Old 20th March 2020, 03:02

Mood
Gloomy

How do you access the Basement forum please? I just tried and I got a message come up saying I don't have enough permission to access it

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 20th March 2020, 07:57

^ That's odd. I can look into this for you.
Old 25th March 2020, 12:28

Mood
Dreaming

Yes, I’m having mild panic attacks & anxiety has flared up.
Especially when visiting the supermarket trying to buy what food is left on the shelves.
Feel on edge.
I do go for a run as this is my escape, thankfully I can still do this. Not sure I’d cope with a full lockdown.
Old 25th March 2020, 14:04

It has affected me more than I expected. I am not sleeping very well at all. It’s not that I wake up in a sweat thinking about the virus, more that the constant bad news has raised my base level of anxiety.
Old 25th March 2020, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_erased
How do you access the Basement forum please? I just tried and I got a message come up saying I don't have enough permission to access it

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
This is something I get when using Tapatalk, but if there are recent posts from threads in the basement, you will be able to respond to them. If you go directly to the forum, not via Tapatalk, you should find that you have full access.

In case what I've said above isn't clear (and it may not be), when using Tapatalk, select "SAUK" then go to "new posts" (the third icon along the top) and scroll down - you will see all new posts, whether from the Basement or other sections (I just checked and the third post down was from "Confessions thread" in the Basement).

I hope that helps?
Old 25th March 2020, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
It has affected me more than I expected. I am not sleeping very well at all. It’s not that I wake up in a sweat thinking about the virus, more that the constant bad news has raised my base level of anxiety.
I've been having this too. I usually sleep pretty well but have been waking up several times in the night for the last week, although not thinking about the virus specifically.
Old 25th March 2020, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
I've been having this too. I usually sleep pretty well but have been waking up several times in the night for the last week, although not thinking about the virus specifically.
We probably store anxiety and stress, and do so at a subconscious level. So you may feel OK day to day, as you cut the lawn, or whatever, but at a subconscious level your fear and anxiety is rising bit by bit. At night, the subconscious is no longer kept in check, which is why you can feel fine during the day but then not sleep at night.

We also store it up in the body. I can feel my heart pounding as I type, yet I feel fine, am not worrying about anything in particular, etc. We underestimate how much fear and stress we absorb from the news, the radio, and from other people. Anxiety is infectious. And just as the individual’s base level of anxiety can rise and fall, so can the wider society’s, which in turn affects the individual, who then puts it back out into society, and so on.
Old 26th March 2020, 22:47

Mood
Creative

Hi Ian,

It is natural when we are nervous about something to become fixated on the fear, and that is healthy, but it can become obsessive and it is easy to overdose on all the bad news. Nothing wrong with keeping informed and educated, and as we are witnessing it will help save lives. But I try to balance my days at the moment and it seems to be helping. I catch up on a little bit of news in the morning and maybe the evening, but the rest of day I focus on anything else, keeping as positive as I can. Phoning or Skyping with positive friends is also important for mental health. Being positive doesn't mean we are burying our heads in the sand to the reality of this thing, but it can help us be there for others too when they need us to be strong.
Old 27th March 2020, 09:08

Mood
Alienated

I get really bad anxiety over health related issues. I don't know why, I don't have control over my body apparently!

I had a health scare a few years back, it ended up with me going private and paying for a colonoscopy but I spent months reading forums, trying to self diagnose (my doctors was useless, it took 10 weeks just to be seen)...waking up with all sorts of new symptons, I had aches and pains all over, parts of my body burning/hurting/headaches/flu like symptons, the works! I was putting 2 and 2 together in my head and making about 842. It was a rough 3-4 months, I was convinced I was brown bread.

I had my colonoscopy, I remember waking up and the guy giving me a thumbs up. Every single thing I had vanished, jesus christ anxiety was killing me

I actually see myself going a similar way now, I've had a sore throat for nearly 2 weeks and I'm convinced I'm going to spread the bloody thing. But I'm getting similar physical issues on top that I had previously. I find myself reading way too much into it (more that I'll pass it on, not that I've got it myself)

Tis a nuisance, It's not like its possible for me to have SA at the moment anyway coz I'm literally never leaving the house barring dog walking
Old 27th March 2020, 11:18

Mood
Balanced

Thanks Counterpoint and all.

I now just watch the papers on BBC News 24 at about 11.00 pm i think.
like you say we have to be strong.

Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 23:55

Mood
Bashful

Yes, mine has certainly ramped up over the past few days. Sympathetic nervous system feels in an almost constant state of sensitisation with result that slightest things set it off very frequently and intensely. Lots of adrenaline and cortisol therefore pumped around the body leading to unpleasantly intense physical feelings and racing thoughts. Physical feelings show in face, with constant belief everyone can see me looking tense and peculiar! Oh joy!
Old 28th March 2020, 14:27

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic

I had my colonoscopy, I remember waking up and the guy giving me a thumbs up. Every single thing I had vanished, jesus christ anxiety was killing me
that must have hurt lol,..

seriously though, well done in persisting and getting the procedure done, it's all too common to ignore things until they get untreatable
Old 28th March 2020, 15:20

^

@ Ian - I hope you are baring up?

People that have never suffered with excess anxiety are finding it very difficult to cope mentally at the moment so it's not surprising that many of us anxiety sufferers are struggling. I do wonder if the amount of people needing help with mental health issues will have increased by the end of this stressful period. Perhaps it will mean that people who haven't had a lot of empathy for anxiety sufferers in the past will be kinder or is that just wishful thinking on my part
Old 28th March 2020, 15:43

My sister’s neighbour is a mental health nurse. She said it’s gone crazy at her workplace, with a surge in the number of admissions, suicide attempts, etc.
Old 28th March 2020, 15:54

Mood
Balanced

Im ok thanks Consolida, are you?.

I dont know I feel I should be helping people now, though that is very hard with my condition, i feel selfish sitting here. I do message people to help them if they are anxious though.
I lost £100 yesterday at a cash machine, can you believe with everything going on I took my card but not the money.
I hope someone took it who really needs it.
Old 28th March 2020, 18:19

^ Oh no, that's bad luck about losing your money but it's very kind of you to hope that it might have helped out someone who was desperate. Perhaps they would have usually handed it in, but is anywhere even open at the moment?

You are not being in the least bit selfish sitting at home - it is the likes of you and I sitting at home that will play a big part in possibly preventing more corona cases and potentially more deaths.

It's actually very commendable that you are messaging anxious people during these difficult times. You might not be directly and physically saving lives like a Doctor or a Nurse on the frontline but, who knows, your comforting words may well play a big part in stopping someone from doing something irreversible like the people that Moksha is referring to in his post. Words on a screen have a far bigger impact on people than we sometimes realise.

I'm kind of muddling through, thank you Ian

Take care
Old 28th March 2020, 21:27

@Ian It might be worth calling the bank, does the money go back in to the machine if it isn't taken?
Old 28th March 2020, 23:25

Mood
Balanced

Thats good your managing ok Consolida, stay strong.

Hi newbs16, i asked someone to phone the store where the cash machine was it was inside M&S you see, there was no answer to the phone call they are obviously very busy at this time. I think its gone now, someone who went up after me probably saw it and handed it in or took it, i will never know. Im going to get a statement when I can to check it.
Old 29th March 2020, 00:37

^ Hopefully the money went back.

Years ago the machine didn't give me enough money because there was fault with the machine, I asked the shop and they said to contact the bank, I called them and the bank put the money in to my account.
Old 1st April 2020, 23:10

Mood
Bashful

Me too Moksha .Since the crisis started in the UK my sympathetic nervous system has gradually become more and more sensitised, with the net result that it's firing off more intensely and more often than it has for a long time.

Last edited by Kipper; 1st April 2020 at 23:11. Reason: Predictive text!
Old 3rd April 2020, 15:01

Mood
Balanced

Thanks newbs16 we spoke to someone at the shop today and as you say if the money isnt taken straight away within a time its sucked back in.

They did say to phone or go in the bank to sort it out it may be the case that this happened.
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:10

^ That's good, hopefully it gets credited back to your account.