SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply  Post New Thread
Old 18th March 2018, 00:06

Default What defines 'isolation' ?

A question I would ask is what defines 'isolation' ? At my old address most fortnights the only contact I had was at the depot clinic. I saw family very sporadically when they visited.
Here I see my stepdaughter several times a week and my granddaughters several times a month . I also see the depot nurse every fortnight. There is no other regular contact. Am I still isolated I wonder?? Is isolation measured by how many people you see or how proactive you are in seeing other people. By the former yardstick I see people more frequently. By the latter yardstick I'm no more or less proactive. It's just that family are closer to me.

Then there is the issue of - 1)How to make contact with others 2)How to form relationships from that social contact. Above all that is perhaps how much are you driven/want to interact with others in the first place . Most of the time I'm happy with my own company. I don't go out of my way to interact with others.
I am , I think,more asocial than social.
Old 18th March 2018, 00:25
Default Re: What defines 'isolation' ?

I would define isolation as being cut off from society, as I was when I first moved to the East Midlands; I don't think one has to be proactive in making contact happen. I think it's great that you have so much contact with family.

I think the question of drive to interact is far more important than how; these days, making contact with others is relatively easy, but if one doesn't feel any drive to do so, then it doesn't matter how easy it is. There is also the question of the quality of said contact: finding people isn't too difficult (for instance, most of us are somewhere near a meetup group these days) but whether those people are compatible is by no means certain and whether we have the social skills to maximise the benefits from such interaction might also be questioned. As for how to form relationships from social interaction, I still have no idea; personally, every time I think I am forming a friendship, it all goes wrong - so although I have almost unlimited social interaction, it is only on a very superficial level to this point.

If one is happy with the level of social interaction one has, there should be no need to change; I think many people would be happy with frequent visits from a stepdaughter and granddaughters and if that fulfils your social needs, it doesn't really matter what others think.