SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st August 2013, 12:49

Mood
Cheerful

Default Re: Still living with parents?

I was living with my mum until she past away at the end of 2006, then my sister and her family moved it for almost 3 years.. 1 year living on my own until my ex moved in with me, in which that ended in 2011 (Lucky escape for me) I'm better living on my own tbh
Old 21st August 2013, 22:27

Sure am...stupid lack of money. Feel life wont properly progress until move out
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:29

Maybe just try and save as much as you can. It is possible to save 75% of your weekly income, yeah you would have to be frugal, limit your car use and your food budget, but considering work can be a difficult place, saving as much as possible just feels more rewarding.

You get home from a hard days work and you know you are saving most of it. No better feeling.

A lot of people on basic wages feel helpless. But if you can find the way save a lot of it then that'll make you feel that at least you are building some savings and quickly.
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGOD
I'm 33 and still with my parents. I've had to be because I haven't been able to work for 10 years and got to the point where nearly all my time was spent in my room. I've worked through the worst of that now, and while it still seems a way off, the dream of working again and standing on my own two feet is still something I am reall aiming for.

It was on the news recently that the average age of a first time buyer is now 38. This made me feel a bit more at ease with the situation, also search on the number of people in their 30s living with parents. The percentage is a lot higher than I expected.

When all is said and done though, anyone who is rude enough to laugh at you for something like this is a total idiot and isn't worth your time. It isn't about what the average 38 year old is doing, it's YOUR life and as long as you are content you don't have to justify yourself.
Perhaps trying taking it slow. Try looking for some part time or casual work first. A few days then go from that to full time over time. Doesn't matter what it is. Cleaning. Office, Labour, Retail. Anything to get you into a routine, just to test things out.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:46
Banned

Mood
Apelike

Yup, can't wait to move out but everything is so fackin' expensive.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:26

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFish
Perhaps trying taking it slow. Try looking for some part time or casual work first. A few days then go from that to full time over time. Doesn't matter what it is. Cleaning. Office, Labour, Retail. Anything to get you into a routine, just to test things out.
This is definitely the plan. I'm still working on being more comfortable when out in general before I can attempt that stage but it's where I want to get to. It's just so frustratingly slow and hard. I just hope there isn't a ceiling I'm going to hit where I can't go further.

As for living at home, I'm comfortable with it as things stand and so are my parents and I truly count myself lucky to have had this safety net.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:48

Mood
Alienated

OP I think your situation is working just fine. Congrats to you with your ability to be working to your long term career goal and also keep a job.
I am 28 and work full time but still live at home. Everything is just so expensive I'm still saving and saving right now, this appears to be my last chance to do that, before I take the plunge and rent. In many ways I wish I'd done this earlier but I just simply could not, so it's pointless beating yourself up over it. Over anything really. I'm sick of being so "ashamed" and self-conscious of my situation. It's just how it is.