SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th July 2011, 19:37

Default Re: Random strangers who speak to you?

Yeah I guess it happens a lot, normally in the same situations, food places/bus stops/transport/night clubs. I think its quite nice when people are friendly because you some how think most strangers wouldn't wanna talk to people.

I remember a girl on the way home from somewhere we started talking to each other at the bus stop, we both had the same coat on and as we learned on the bus ride home we had loads in common so swapped numbers and became good friends :D

Also theres a road i walk down to the station and strangers always seem to stop walking/driving to talk to me. ALWAYS HAPPENS DOWN THAT DAMN ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27th July 2011, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapop
Also theres a road i walk down to the station and strangers always seem to stop walking/driving to talk to me. ALWAYS HAPPENS DOWN THAT DAMN ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
You must have 'that' face. Enjoy it!
Old 27th July 2011, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
I suppose with the OP the same applies if the lad started talking about the fight etc first rather than the game he was playing but i think maybe he felt uneasy with someone near him who he thought was watching. I had that a few times if i play a game in a store and people are watching me play.
Oh I wasn't watching him at all. I was looking at the games shelves. I didn't even notice he was there until he started yapping!
Old 27th July 2011, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateGirl
Then put his hand on my arm and said "would you hold it against me if I told you you have a really nice body" lol! It wasn't funny at the time though, I felt sooo awkward.
Haha what did you say in response?!

I was on a train going home once when these two slightly drunk older men sat down in front of me and started asking if I had a gf, asking what I did, if I was gay. That was ****ing horrible. But they were drunk so not entirely unexpected.
Old 27th July 2011, 19:48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_paradox
Oh I wasn't watching him at all. I was looking at the games shelves. I didn't even notice he was there until he started yapping!
But he probably thought he was thou or waiting to play on it which made him uneasy i guess.
Old 27th July 2011, 19:52

Quote:
You must have 'that' face. Enjoy it!
Yeah it is quite funny, but when I'm in a rush its not.
Once a guy was in his car and stopped, he wanted my number but his phone was out of battery and didn't have a pen and paper.
He was so desperate that he got his keys and scratched it into his cigarette box.

Too bad it was a fake
Old 27th July 2011, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapop
Yeah it is quite funny, but when I'm in a rush its not.
Once a guy was in his car and stopped, he wanted my number but his phone was out of battery and didn't have a pen and paper.
He was so desperate that he got his keys and scratched it into his cigarette box.

Too bad it was a fake
Hahaha good job
Old 27th July 2011, 20:44

Mood
Alienated

I never know how to react when a stranger speaks to me randomly.

I usually leave the vicinity feeling slightly guilty that he/she wil have thought me rude for not really being able to engage in conversation.

Then I usually feel a bit angry at said stranger-- because who just walks up to someone they don't know and starts chattering away?
Old 27th July 2011, 20:49

I quite like it when some randommer just starts a convo with me even if they are spewing nonsense. I'd love to be able to do that. Well minus the nonsense bit, I'm quite good at that already
Old 27th July 2011, 21:25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Lemme guess was she big? beautiful? and a woman?

no lol...

it was another type of woman...
Old 27th July 2011, 21:54

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelG
Nah i dont find that. Yeh suffolk people are more friendly and london people can be rude and distant but i guess im used to that so it dont bother me.
plus its rather dull round here nothnin happens
Yeah, it is one of the things I was never sure about, the fact that is is a lot quieter in many spots there. Then again, we both shared many interests in which Suffolk does very well to provide for. With the location and (as long as you drive) many places to visit, you have the best of quite a few options there. Town, country and coastal with plenty of history to be found in all.

Yet, this does spark the question, why did you move back there if you prefer London? Did you have to move back in with family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateGirl
I get this quite a lot. But it normally is old men who turn out to want something else other than just talking...the other day I was on the bus, an old guy sat down beside me and complained about the oyster card machine not working. I just nodded politely but then he carried on talking to me about his life. Then put his hand on my arm and said "would you hold it against me if I told you you have a really nice body" lol! It wasn't funny at the time though, I felt sooo awkward.
You should have taken his hand in yours, looked him warmly in the eyes, then snapped his fingers like carrots!

Quote:
Haha what did you say in response?!

I was on a train going home once when these two slightly drunk older men sat down in front of me and started asking if I had a gf, asking what I did, if I was gay. That was ****ing horrible. But they were drunk so not entirely unexpected.
Horrible that he asked you if you were gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance
no lol...

it was another type of woman...
Breathing??
Old 28th July 2011, 15:09

Mood
Question

I'm the random stranger who talks to everyone... when I'm drunk
Old 29th July 2011, 17:15

Ages ago I was looking at a Minnie Mouse top in Asda and a woman came up to me and was talking about how I should definitely get it, it would totally suit me. She didn't work there! I felt myself going bright red. It's very scary when that happens! Luckily no-one under 25 or even under 30 has come up and spoke to me (I have a dreadful phobia of teens and twentysomethings).
Old 29th July 2011, 18:00
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
The thing is that some people have no qualms whatsoever about going up to total strangers and chatting away. It happened to me a few days ago - I was walking near the beach and some bloke came up to me and randomly started telling me, at great length, how iodine (that yellow stuff they rub on you before surgery) can be made from seaweed. He was very forward and in-your-face and it went on for ages.

I suppose they are just being friendly in their own way but when you have SA, people like that can be a nightmare. Must be nice to be that open and non-anxious though.
It is a big nightmare of mine and one of the times I get most SA and tongue tied. It usually happens to me on buses or at bus stops and I have never yet enjoyed the experience. I always come away from it feeling scared and going over and over how I should react in that situation, what I should have said etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayell_safc
I never know how to react when a stranger speaks to me randomly.

I usually leave the vicinity feeling slightly guilty that he/she wil have thought me rude for not really being able to engage in conversation.

Then I usually feel a bit angry at said stranger-- because who just walks up to someone they don't know and starts chattering away?
Yes, I feel the same. I don't think I look very approachable so it's not too much of a worry, plus I'm pretty avoidant these days, but it is a nightmare to have a stranger attempt to talk to me, my mind goes blank and I know they can tell I'm offended/anxious because they're talking to me.
Old 29th July 2011, 19:36

Mood
Scurvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becjane
I'm the random stranger who talks to everyone... when I'm drunk
Im the random person that talks to most people.. when im sober.

Na im not that bad..

I dont mind talking random people though. Things like trains etc are good places. Waiting rooms maybe.

Actually tbh more people approach me randomly than anything! Its very common that random people talk to me. I think its because I have a good vibe and approachable maybe. I dont mind it at all - Saves boredom in many situations.

It isnt a certain type person either.. its varies completely. If I had a dickhead talking to me.. then whatever.. just ignore them.

Very rarely is it irritating. I do remember years ago some homeless person wanted money and told them no but continued on with talking to them as he seemed quite desperate to talk to someone. Then they basically felt like following me to get to their own place (friends apparently.) which was in same direction to mine (apparently).... that wasnt cool. When I was getting close to home I finally got rid of them by asking which way they going then telling them I was going opposite direction. I had to circle around abit to get home. Nice talking to him.. but I didnt want to walk home with him lol. >.< Just kept talking and talking and saying how nice it was he wasnt being ignored etc. ...yes yes but we talked for like half an hour now, even walked with me, now its time to depart ways lol.

Some old guy in the park too that used to frequently stop and talk to when walking to town and back. Havnt seem him years as I moved area now.

Where I live now there was this elderly man who came out house while I sitting in park and asked if I wanted play chess not that long back. I couldnt as I was studying at the time and was planning go home soon anyway. I bet most people on this site think he was a pervert or something >.> Just a kind old man probably who lonely. Usually I dont mind as I tend to be lonely too lol.
Old 29th July 2011, 20:11
Banned at own request

I love random stranger conversations. I feel more like myself with strangers than with anyone I know...although not amazing at instigating them. Well done random strangers! You make my day
Old 29th July 2011, 21:48
Banned

Mood
Shoveit

In the last few months:

A girl walking past me called me a "****"

An old man sitting outside Sainsburys (I suspect was probably drunk) shouted "****ing fat ****" at me

Another old man walking past looked up at me and muttered "Too bloody fat..."

Yes, I am rather overweight.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:12

Mood
Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torca Marda
In the last few months:

A girl walking past me called me a "****"

An old man sitting outside Sainsburys (I suspect was probably drunk) shouted "****ing fat ****" at me

Another old man walking past looked up at me and muttered "Too bloody fat..."

Yes, I am rather overweight.
OMG some people can be so horrible! Are you sure it was all aimed at yourself?

I know I've been walking somewhere before and thought someone was shouting nasty things at me, only to find off my Mam (the person I was with at the time) that they were in fact shouting it at someone else!

Here's a virtual hug in anyways!

Usually when I'm on the till in the charity shop I try and talk to as many customers as I can, just saying "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" and asking if they need a hand with anything, if they've had a good day, ect. I'd say it's really helped my confidence and ability to actually keep a conversation going with someone, something I was never any good at before I started volunteering. :L

I still feel a tad bit uncomfortable when someone starts talking to me in the street or when I'm waiting for the bus. On one hand it can be nice to have a random conversation about absolutely nothing, with a random stranger, but on the other it can also be a little bit awkward sometimes, like when your bus arrives and they're waiting for a different one and are still talking to you as you're trying to get on the bus, so you're left in that situation where you think, "Is it rude if I say, 'Okay nice talking to you, bye. Take care'? but if I don't I'll probably be stuck here for another half hour waiting for the next bus to come!"

One of my worries is, if I get a taxi and it's only me and the driver in the cab, if he/ she talking to me what on earth do I talk about?! Or do we sit there in an awkward silence, until I'm that anxious I'm likely to say, "Oh well here will be fine thank you!" no matter how much further the rest of the journey is?
Closed Thread