SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th August 2013, 13:44

Default Do people like YOU?

Specifically, you as a person. Not that you're anxious or depressed or whatever, but your personality and how does this affect you?

I feel generally I am liked, people do always say I'm weird but I really like that. I don't want to be like everyone else. I guess then for that reason a chunk of people wouldn't/don't like the actual ME, but whatever. Sometimes people look at me as a source of humour or entertainment because I can make people laugh generally quite easily but this is only once I'm comfortable around them. Then of course some people have a different taste in humour to me so then that doesn't work.

I don't like many people enough to want friendship or even for them to know much about me and it is obvious which ones I really don't like as I avoid talking to them or probably appear miserable. These people probably don't like me back.

Last edited by pinkwafer; 14th August 2013 at 15:26. Reason: but but but
Old 14th August 2013, 14:00

Default Re: Do people like YOU?

I used to think that people didn't like me much, but I'm beginning to realise it's probably more the other way round.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:08

On a surface level I think most do,obviously not all as no-one is ever going to appeal to everyone. Generally I`m quite friendly,affable,approachable so acquaintances would probably have few reasons to dislike me. After all you don`t tend to start discussing anything deeper than the weather in those sorts of relationships.

Actual friendships are a different matter,there are very few people I`ve ever connected with properly over the course of my life but that tends to be mutual,and I`m fine with that.

Of course that is all when I`m well. Factor in me running a mile as soon as anyone shows any interest in me,dreadfully scatty unreliable behaviour when I drop off the radar for days,weeks or months at a time when I`m at my worst and being no use as a support because I can`t even hold myself up and together and I`m basically a sh*t friend. I tend to not have the emotional reserves for it.

Tl;dr = Personality wise,sure,enough to keep me happy anyway. It`s just the mess that is my head that screws it up.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:09

Mood
Dreaming

I think people generally think I am a decent person. I try and be positive around people and show an interest in others. I think as long as people see past my shyness they would think I'm an alright sort. I hope so anyway, maybe I'm completely wrong and people think I'm an evil witch
Old 14th August 2013, 14:20

Mood
Bored

i think people do like me if they talk to me but when im listening to my music and in my own world maybe they wont like me but even then i try to portray a sense of cool,calm,collected,i get all sorts coming up and talking to me which i like

or when i talk to people,strangers,they dont seem awkward.

have a little random laugh and a joke or serious convo and then go on with our lifes when the bus comes or something like that

i dont want people to be scared off me,i just allways think, if only you knew how scared i was
Old 14th August 2013, 14:23

I am liked by who I like. Only thing some of those like my boss, I can understand see me as boring. And also by the same token I'd say I was probably not liked by some others as I'm a bit weird to them. I know I should be out drinking and all that, like everyone else, and being more active. And I know my anxiety at times creates a barrier. Just got to keep working on it.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:28

I don't think so. It's hard to gauge since I don't like me very much so I don't see why others would. I've always had a sense that people don't dislike me but are more indifferent.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:31

I think some people are scared of me or think I'm weird, others tell me that's absurd and I hope I'm wrong.

But other times when a neighbour or whoever gives me the cold shoulder I think 'I can't teach you to be civilized'.

The key is not to care what people think, and that is hard to do.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:32

Mood
Bored

if people dont like me,its not the end of the world because generally i dont tend to like them.

but on a forum like this,i feel its a social situation because its all strangers and were all talking about different things so when i get ignored here for example i do think hmm...well its not a nice feeling but its not the end of the world people got there reasons.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:33

People find me placid and nice, but very reserved and I am not good at joining in with cliques or around places of politics and hierarchy.

however if I am around like minded people, nerdy etc. then I am more outgoing than usual.

but generally I am very shy

I guess if you like someone who comes across as mild mannered, non gossipy and nice, then "hey! let's be friends.

I tend to be the weakest link at work and in large groups, even though I am nice and I have things to talk about. Easily walked over and very reserved.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:59

Very, very unlikely, I don't know anyone, and no-one has ever gotten to know me, but the majority of people I've met disliked me, regardless of the fact that they didn't know me.

Maybe I am just saying that because I hate myself, but I don't see it being very likely that anyone does or ever will like me, or even want to know me.
Old 14th August 2013, 15:32

Probably more important to like ourselves than care what others think.

I however, almost hate myself.
Old 14th August 2013, 15:45

I tend to put walls up that mean that people can't really get to know me unless they try to break them down,but if they do manage to break them down then yes people do like me. This is a good thing in a way because I have quite a few really good friends who I have known for years and when I am friends with someone they do become friends for a long time. I find it very difficult to open up to people and that does put a lot of people off getting to know me.

I met up with friend of mine recently who I have known for 22 years now,we were asked about our friendship from somebody else she had brought with her that day how we met and how long we had been friends and she told this friend that even though we don't get a chance to meet up that often when we do it is like we had never been apart and that is usually how my friends see me.

When I am with people I enjoy being around I do become more confident and talkative and feel that I can be myself but if I don't know someone then I am just very shy and keep myself to myself.
Old 14th August 2013, 16:19

Of course not.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:08

Mood
Bored

I have no idea what my personality even is (I've never felt any sense of ‘me’ or ‘self’), but I'm an asshole to everyone 99% of the time, so probably not.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:13

I don't know.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:29

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkwafer
I feel generally I am liked, people do always say I'm weird but I really like that. I don't want to be like everyone else. I guess then for that reason a chunk of people wouldn't/don't like the actual ME, but whatever. Sometimes people look at me as a source of humour or entertainment because I can make people laugh generally quite easily but this is only once I'm comfortable around them. Then of course some people have a different taste in humour to me so then that doesn't work.
I would say that this pretty much sums it up for me too. The sort of people that don't take to me first usually don't have the same humour but a woman at work who felt that way turned out to be a good mate and her words were 'you take a bit of getting used too.' I don't mind being seen as weird. I met up with a colleague from work a few times because I had moved to a new area and didn't know anyone. This fizzled out because she said 'you are just so odd' - I was quite hurt at the time, but now I quite like it. Recently a friend of my husband said that I was 'quirky'. I would rather be seen as quirky than odd. Sometimes though, when I am very nervous and meet people for the first time I kind of go overboard and almost become a bit of a 'creep' flattering them and laughing at their jokes even if they are not funny - those people definitely don't take to me and I don't blame them one bit because I hate myself when i am like that. A major reason why I am currently without friends is because of my SA and depression and that makes me very unreliable. I avoid social interaction most of the time and I think a lot of people take that to mean that I am not interested, have something better to do or am just a loner which is not true at all. My mood is very much up and down and I can be full of energy but then need my own space and get very uptight. I can't sustain interaction for too long before I start to get really stressed and panic and when that happens I just have to go which has upset a lot of people. I suppose they think I just got bored with them. I find it very difficult to relax and some people can find me a bit too intense. I would love to learn how to be more chilled out - I think then people would enjoy my company more and want to know me.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:34

Mood
Cynical

Hmm, in general i would say no, but that's ok. I know that i'm difficult to get to know, i'm very reserved and i'm just in my own little world a lot of the time.

On the other hand, i seem to find more and more people that i like as i go along, and one or two seem to like me so that's nice
Old 14th August 2013, 18:40

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboo

I know most SAUKers are entirely indifferent to my existence but I don't really mind that, nor do I mind if I'm on anyone's ignore list. Can't please everyone.
I want to respectfully disagree there Baboo - not long ago I was going to message you and ask you if you were an artist because of a few things you had said in your posts. You mentioned art a few times, and then in the thread about what places could people go to on their own, you listed picture framing place (or the framers) and I wondered if you got your art work framed.

So you are not ignored by this SAUKee . Even when I want to message somebody, I very rarely do, because I just assume that they will have loads of 'friends' on SAUK and won't want to know - that is probably how most SAUKees feel to be honest.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:43

Mood
Bored

I know what you mean baboo and although I know it's not true but it's how I feel on here too but I'm sure there's some people who wanna chat or know that I'm around
Old 14th August 2013, 18:55

People tend to like me initially and I can get along with most people, but once they get to know me and find out there isn't much more to me than what they first see they either get bored, or get frustrated because they can't get anything out of me.
Old 14th August 2013, 19:01

People tolerate me.
Old 14th August 2013, 19:03

I have pretty bad SA, so I can't trust my judgement on this question. It's a pretty safe bet that people like me more than I believe they do, but I have no idea how much.
Old 14th August 2013, 19:20

When I'm on a good run where I haven't had panic attacks for a while, then I leave no option for people other than to like me, or appreciate me etc. It's weird how in my first year of uni, people didn't used to value what I had to say too much, they liked me and thought I was a bit awkward but I still had friends..in second year my panic attacks and anxiety reduced and I eventually found myself being liked a lot, however I couldn't take full advantage because there were other times when I felt pretty bad. So that's why people were clearly confused about how sometimes I'm cool and other times I look a little tense and reserved. I can just tell they were confused, I can just tell they thought something was up.

I never went out my way to meet new people though, which is why people who barely knew me had an even worse opinion me i.e I can tell from their demeanour and I overhead a girl tell her friend that I'm a show off and stuck up.
Old 14th August 2013, 19:26

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash101
So that's why people were clearly confused about how sometimes I'm cool and other times I look a little tense and reserved. I can just tell they were confused, I can just tell they thought something was up.

Yep, me too.
Old 14th August 2013, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotiger
I've always had a sense that people don't dislike me but are more indifferent.
This probably best describes how I feel.
Old 14th August 2013, 20:58
Banned

God knows.

It's been so long since I've had anything AT ALL to do with anyone in the real world.
Old 14th August 2013, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDON_ASIAN
if people dont like me,its not the end of the world because generally i dont tend to like them.

but on a forum like this,i feel its a social situation because its all strangers and were all talking about different things so when i get ignored here for example i do think hmm...well its not a nice feeling but its not the end of the world people got there reasons.
A lot of members here mention feeling ignored. I don't really understand. What does that mean, like when people don't respond to your questions?
Old 14th August 2013, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
A lot of members here mention feeling ignored. I don't really understand. What does that mean, like when people don't respond to your questions?
So, lovely day! How is everyone?
Old 14th August 2013, 21:37

Mood
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba

questions or posts,its hard to explain lol,just feels like mine get skipped alot :D but im probably not saying anything worthwhile i think thats what it is,thats what my logical side is telling me but i dont know,did that make sense? 0_o