Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th September 2009, 07:40

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: What does CBT involve?

i have improved a lot without therapy but i guess it could help me even more judging by what people say on here
Old 27th September 2009, 06:15

Mood
Cheeky

CBT has been wonderful for me. I counter my thoughts in the TEA forms everyday and it really keeps my anxiety under control. I highly recommend CBT.
Old 28th September 2009, 23:20

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loner1
i have improved a lot without therapy but i guess it could help me even more judging by what people say on here
I would sure give it a try because it can't hurt
Old 10th December 2009, 23:55

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo1
I would sure give it a try because it can't hurt
The more things you try the better. Cbt and the TEA forms are what are working for me but that does not mean they are the only thing that works so keep trying things until you find what works best for you
Old 13th January 2010, 23:54

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine
The more things you try the better. Cbt and the TEA forms are what are working for me but that does not mean they are the only thing that works so keep trying things until you find what works best for you
Good points. No one thing is a cure all but The TEA forms have been the silver bullet for my anxiety woes.
Old 14th January 2010, 12:22

Mood
Mellow

I went to see my GP again today and she said CBT in her opinion is the number 1 thing to do plus exercise, she said also sunlight helps but all i see is white clouds
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:39

Mood
Fine

I imagine CBT varies a bit from therpists to therpists and whether the CBT sessions are specifically designed with SA in mind.

For me the main parts are:

- conscious tools you can use (which ends up becoming automatc)
- repeating rational statement until they become automatic
- slowly slowly experimenting with new behavior and getting more positive in doing them

I've found it, and continue to find it, very useful. It's also one of the few therapies that have been shown effective in studies.
Old 1st February 2010, 00:33

Mood
Artistic

Great input everyone. So nice to see so many others being helped by CBT
I re-read the cbt book by sam obitz last week and it was gratifying to see how far I have come since I started using the TEA forms. Love them! A lot of things in the book that i was unsure or skeptical of the first time I read it, i have now experienced firsthand and it's a great feeling
Old 26th February 2010, 22:03

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2032
I went to see my GP again today and she said CBT in her opinion is the number 1 thing to do plus exercise, she said also sunlight helps but all i see is white clouds
That's cool and good advice Make sure and do the TEA form exercise daily and I think it will help you a lot!
Old 26th February 2010, 22:04

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic
I imagine CBT varies a bit from therpists to therpists and whether the CBT sessions are specifically designed with SA in mind.

For me the main parts are:

- conscious tools you can use (which ends up becoming automatc)
- repeating rational statement until they become automatic
- slowly slowly experimenting with new behavior and getting more positive in doing them

I've found it, and continue to find it, very useful. It's also one of the few therapies that have been shown effective in studies.

Good job
My experience has been very similarly good
Old 26th February 2010, 22:06

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Great input everyone. So nice to see so many others being helped by CBT
I re-read the cbt book by sam obitz last week and it was gratifying to see how far I have come since I started using the TEA forms. Love them! A lot of things in the book that i was unsure or skeptical of the first time I read it, i have now experienced firsthand and it's a great feeling
That's awesome
I may have to reread it soon and see if I have a similar reaction. That would be cool
Old 25th March 2010, 00:51

Mood
Artistic

Thanks. I hope you do and let me know even if you don't have a similar reaction. Take care!
Old 1st April 2010, 01:03

Mood
Breezy

I re-read it last night and can definitely feel good about how far I have come but also realize that I need to keep working if I want it to be lasting so it was good motivation thanks!
Old 3rd April 2010, 05:22

Hi to everyone, its good to hear some of you have improved with CBT. I've never tried CBT so far but I want to give it a shot just to try and see if it makes any difference. I also wanna try ACT too. The main idea of ACT sounds reasonable to me.

I'm wondering which self treatment books or audio tapes are good ones. Any suggestions? Can anyone pm me, if they got one which they found beneficial for them? I'd be really grateful...

All the best
Old 30th April 2010, 01:36

Mood
Breezy

I would recommend Been There, Done That? Do THIS! by Sam Obitz at www.tao3.com Short and simple and the TEA form exercise in it works wonders!
It all seemed to simplistic too really work on my deeply entrenched problems but in a matter of months I was feeling drastically better and have continued to improve. Great luck to you
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:07

Mood
Cheeky

I may have to re-read the Obitz book it's been a while thanks. I am still using the TEA form exercise though
Old 6th June 2010, 02:03

I had an interview with a CBT therapist at the start of April, who concluded I needed 'stage four' treatment (which is basically one to one rather than group CBT).

However it's been 2 months since than and I've still had no contact, is this usual?
Old 6th June 2010, 22:29

Mood
Cheeky

I have never heard of stages regarding treatment so that's odd in itself. Sure makes it sound serious and if that were the case I would expect treatment to commence immediately. I would certainly contact them again and ask what's going on. Also most groups include individual sessions as well and my understanding is that they are more effective than just individual therapy alone.
The thing you have to do for cbt to work is the thought countering exercises in between sessions so whether you do it in a group, individually or on your own it really should not matter.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:11

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb
I may have to re-read the Obitz book it's been a while thanks. I am still using the TEA form exercise though
The TEA forms are awesome and I take the book with me whenever I travel for conmfort and review
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:12

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove
I had an interview with a CBT therapist at the start of April, who concluded I needed 'stage four' treatment (which is basically one to one rather than group CBT).

However it's been 2 months since than and I've still had no contact, is this usual?
No time like the present... I would contact them again right away.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:04

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove

Hmm this is interesting how you mention 'stage four'. So i wonder if there is/are stages higher than this..whereas 'one on one' weekly hourly meetings sint seen as enough.

I've been referred for 'one on one'...without even ever having to attend an assessment in person. It's a bit scary actually..to think that i will only meet my therapist once a week for only an hour..then the rest is up to me.

I doesnt seem like enough 'contact' if you ask me. I feel like i need to live with the damn therapist to get myself out of this nightmare

I suppose i'll just have to give it a go. It's pretty much certain that i'll end up doing the maximum length of therapy..which will i think be 16weeks. If it fails..then i will probs seek out 'in house' buildings whereas i can live/recover with others for as long as needed. All the time im thinking whether or not i need to give meds a go..i dont want to..but if nothing works..then i may be forced to..on the back of advice from therapists/GPs.
Old 30th June 2010, 01:43

Mood
Artistic

I have not ever heard of stages either???
Definitely would recommend using the TEA forms from the CBT book by Sam Obitz to anyone serious about helping themselves
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:02

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Definitely would recommend using the TEA forms from the CBT book by Sam Obitz to anyone serious about helping themselves

Big Ditto on that Celine; Helped me turn things around!
Still confused by that stage four thing? Anyone else here ever heard of that?
Take care everyone
Old 11th August 2010, 23:06

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
The stages thing confused me too? Then again I am no expert on cbt diagnosises. Sounds more like a cancer diagnosis than a cbt diagnosis
Old 29th August 2010, 00:19

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo1
The stages thing confused me too? Then again I am no expert on cbt diagnosises. Sounds more like a cancer diagnosis than a cbt diagnosis
I have heard stages in cancer diagnosis before too. Very odd to hear it with anxiety?
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:44

Mood
Cheeky

Good to see others were confused by this terminology also.
Old 4th September 2010, 23:23

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftlySpoken1
CBT has worked for me - I don't think its anything to be frightened of - if you are looking to change how you are - how you feel then it is a good thing to try. I think you should approach anything with an open mind - and be realistic - not everything works for everyone - it might not work the first time you try it - simply - you look at what you are thinking, what you are feeling, internal rules that you live by but may not be very aware of - and then you gradually try and change the things that are holding you back. If self help doesn't work for you, I would really recommend finding a counselor or therapist who you feel comfortable with - personally I think for social anxiety you need someone who will push you to relate to them - give it a go - but I think the most important thing if you really want to change is to keep trying - and keep trying - and keep trying! Good luck!
your post made me understand CBT alot better thank you
Old 4th September 2010, 23:42

Mood
Tired

I've completed my 8th session last Friday and my therapist said she has noticed an improvement since the first couple of sessions. I have to admit that within the first couple of sessions I did feel apprehensive but now I don't really notice this. I think at first it's hard to talk about the core issues because of maybe thinking how they will be percieved but once everything is out in the open it all changes because you finally realise it's OK to talk about them now.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:33

Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivePoemsbyme
your post made me understand CBT alot better thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Blue
I've completed my 8th session last Friday and my therapist said she has noticed an improvement since the first couple of sessions. I have to admit that within the first couple of sessions I did feel apprehensive but now I don't really notice this. I think at first it's hard to talk about the core issues because of maybe thinking how they will be percieved but once everything is out in the open it all changes because you finally realise it's OK to talk about them now.
This confuses me because what makes cbt different is that you don't really need to talk about things much and rather learn new ways to think that serve you better and eliminate future bouts with anxiety. Softly spoken explained it much more eloquently than I can so you may want to read that post above and ask your therapist about it.
Glad you are feeling better
Old 25th October 2010, 20:00

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb
This confuses me because what makes cbt different is that you don't really need to talk about things much and rather learn new ways to think that serve you better and eliminate future bouts with anxiety. Softly spoken explained it much more eloquently than I can so you may want to read that post above and ask your therapist about it.
Glad you are feeling better
FWIW, this is my understanding also. Cbt is all about moving forward regardless of your past.