SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th February 2015, 00:11

Mood
Thinking

Default Stopping the meds

Against all the medical advice and common sense of it all I still do it. I also play around with dosage, anyone else do this? Why?

The meds I was on were for anxiety and depression but are also to help with my SA. Sometimes I feel I have recovered and can manage without but them but as the meds reduce I become ill again. I also worry about possible side effects, or have phases where I think theyre doing me harm, this also becomes a reason for stopping or cutting back. Sometimes I just cant get my head round the whole medication thing, get frustrated with it all.
Old 12th February 2015, 00:29

Mood
Sad

Default Re: Stopping the meds

Hope you don't mind me being nosey, but what were you taking for anxiety? I didn't realise there was any medication that could help with SA.

The doctor tried me on beta blockers but they interfered with my exercise regime.

I am on antidepressants but they don't help with the anxiety at all.

Sorry to digress. The only person who truly knows our body and our minds is us. Why would you want to manage without them, is there an underlining reason. Sometimes we need to be on them for life. Anything you take will have side affects.

But how would you feel without them, you have to weigh up the pros and cons of being on them versus being off them.

Stopping them may actually be more harmful in the long run.

Have you spoken to your GP about your concerns or someone who understands and can advise you?
Old 12th February 2015, 01:25

Velnlafaxine. But in terms of stopping schizoid, they suck major ****in ass.
Old 12th February 2015, 10:54

Mood
Mellow

I have played about with med dose before, on different occasions i abruptly stopped seroxat, sertraline and diazepam, but had to reinstate due to withdrawal.
Old 12th February 2015, 11:00

Mood
Thinking

Thanks for the reply, Yes Concept Im on Venlafaxine same as you, sorry its not ideal for you. I have also some issues with it in that it seems to affect my quality of sleep, it can also make me fuzzy headed and headachy.

Kalyfician, you were asking about meds which as well as treating depression, also treat anxiety VENLAFAXINE is one that works for both I think in the US it is called EFFEXOR. It is not usually the first line for GPs to prescribe could be down to cost of (drug not sure) The reason I was prescribed is because Ive tried most of the antidepressants and for me they havent worked, in other words I have difficult to treat or stubborn depression (which I believe is interlinked with my anxiety issues). This drug seems to help in those cases where regular meds dont work it has the added benefit of being able to treat the anxiety, which is important to me because of my General Anxiety disorder and my SA. Maybe you should ask your GP about it if they are aware of this drug and its uses and whether you could try it.

Kalyfician, you give some useful advice and i should speak with my GP but somehow I feel intimidated or that they wouldnt get my take on things.
Im pretty good at taking these meds because they do help, but maybe if Im physically unwell I stop taking temporarily or reduce to give my body a break from the drug get better sleep and also reduce the side effects, (like a mini Detox) ?I do really notice the difference If I stop these meds more than a couple of days,and like you say its not good to stop any meds abruptly.
Old 12th February 2015, 11:31

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman
Thanks for the reply, Yes Concept Im on Venlafaxine same as you, sorry its not ideal for you. I have also some issues with it in that it seems to affect my quality of sleep, it can also make me fuzzy headed and headachy.
It's definitely affected my sleep, I've had sleep problems for years but after changing from mirtazapine to venlafaxine I'm lucky to get an hour a night.
Old 12th February 2015, 13:06

I think if your meds are helping i would stick with them. I have found no relief from antidepressants but take a low dose of propanolol 10mg 3 x times a day. I was on a lot of meds at one time and found they made situations worse for me.
Old 12th February 2015, 14:45

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman
Kalyfician, you were asking about meds which as well as treating depression, also treat anxiety VENLAFAXINE is one that works for both I think in the US it is called EFFEXOR.
Ironically Venlafaxine was the one prior to the one I am on and I couldn't get on with it, I have tried about 6 different antidepressants prior to these and none worked.

I have been on Mirtazapine since 2010, recently my GP has had to increase it to the maximum dose allowed, 45mg. Between 2010 and 2014 I was on 30mg, this year I am now on 45mg. Great for the depression but certainly doesn't help with anxiety or SA.

It's like playing Russian Roulette trying to get the right antidepressant that works with minimal side affects.