SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd December 2012, 17:36

Mood
Nerdy

Default Does your clothes give you confidence?

I was discussing this subject with a colleague the other day about clothing and how it makes you feel.
I went on to say that I wear high end clothes and like to dress smart most days (everyday if I was able to) to help me give the little bit of confidence that I need, and to try and give a good first impression. I know that there's a lot of people out there that don't look at the labels that people wear, and that some people consider it silly to spend stupid money on clothes.
I was wondering on other peoples views on this or if there is anyone else like me?
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:07

Mood
Nerdy

Default Re: Does your clothes give you confidence?

I don't like standing out from a crowd, Even though the clothes that I can wear will make me do so on the occasion, I rather just be the person in the background that no one sees.
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:08
Banned

Mood
Goofy

No, I just like wearing clothing that's comfortable for me. I don't think it's your clothing that draws attention to you tbh, unless of course you are wearing next to nothing. I like to look nice but nothing to do with confidence for me.
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:09

Mood
Goofy

Yes it definately gives me more confidence, i cant attend something where i know im going to be anxious without making an effort. But then most of the time, day to day, i don't make the effort because i just don't want to be noticed and prefer to blend in.
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:17
Banned

Mood
Elated

If I look like a boss I feel like a boss.
Definitely helps me, more so if I have a lot of jewellery, it's like I can hide behind it all and be really smug about the stupid amounts of rings and stuff I have. xD

When I don't look the part though my SA does come in it's worst form. I can spend bloody hours in the bathroom painting my face. Or when I dye my hair and roots show through and I have to go out like that - nightmare.
Old 2nd December 2012, 19:06
Banned at own request

Yes, I don't have money for expensive clothes but now I have began budjeting my college bursary so I have money for some clothes every month-few months and I can gradually start having most of the clothes I have wanted.

Anyways wearing what you want and taking care of yourself is a good thing since your respecting at least some of your needs.
Old 2nd December 2012, 19:07
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SambaBus
It doesn't bother me much, I just feel embarrassed when I wear "high quality" clothing, it just doesn't suit me but in all fairness I don't really have a clue what suits me and what doesn't. If I ever went out cloth shopping by myself (something I've never done before) then I wouldn't have a first clue what to buy. What I wear is plain and pretty safe but I don't mind it that way, I don't like standing out.
Experience will teach you.
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faewen
If I look like a boss I feel like a boss.
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:50

Mood
Spaced

Absolutely, when I'm dressed nicely I feel so much better! I buy nearly all my clothes from charity shops, I often get compliments for my clothes because I have quite an individual style of dressing. When people ask where I got something I tell them the truth - Some people think second-hand clothes are gross but I just love bargains

Even though my clothes are cheap I do like labels where I can find them! Lots of people give designer clothes or decent stuff from department stores to the charity shops. I think designer clothes are made better and the buttons don't fall off as often - they're more "finished".

Even though my SA means I hate being centre of attention, I do feel good when I'm wearing a "put together" outfit with nice bright colours. I also wear make up every day.

I've also noticed I feel more confident when I am at work. I work in uniform so it's like playing a part in a way. I borrow my confidence from playing the role I am representing.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:00

Mood
Insomnious

yes I do find that clothes give me a confidence boost. but i have also found that people try to take confidence away from me... so i find its best to wear only when able to ignore people.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:11
Banned

Mood
Elated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe27
Yes.

@Mina
I'm with you on the Charity shops, I once bought a proper leather jacket from there worth £300 for like £40, gold mine. xD
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:14

Mood
Bored

I always wear some kind of headwear as I feel more confident wearing it
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:46

I don't think they do at all for me, I seem to always feel way more confident when I'm wearing my underwear or pjs or no clothes at all
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:04

Mood
Sweettooth

It's odd really. I have a pretty unusual taste in fashion, so when I go out I feel paranoid that people are laughing or making comments about me (and there have been many occasions where my worries were true. Hell, my dress sense even got me threats at one point). At the same time, if I dress "normally" I dislike it just as much, as I don't feel like myself (and feel just as paranoid when wearing jeans, as I'm self-conscious over how my legs look in them)
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:18
Banned

Mood
Scared

Yes and no

I like well fitting clothes, I go for a smart casual look or as Rigsby would say , "functional with a hint of luxury."
The problems is.....knowing I look good makes me feel good before I go out but more self conscious when I step into a public place, as more people pay attention to me, looks, glances..etc..

Oh the perils of having SA.
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:25

Mood
Sweettooth

^^I have a fondness for Japanese street fashion (Particularly Lolita, Mori Girl and Fairy Kei) so I tend to have a preference for clothing in similar styles. I love frilly stuff, which, when I'm from a small town where most people wear skinny jeans and tracksuits, gets me enough negative attention to last a lifetime. Since I've moved to university, where there's more variety in clothing taste, it's less intimidating but I still get scared sometimes.
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrelsgomoo
I'm from a small town where most people wear skinny jeans and tracksuits, gets me enough negative attention to last a lifetime.
Isn't Lincoln much the same though? I always felt it was.
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:56
Banned

Mood
Elated

@Kestrelsgomoo
I experienced a much similar thing when I used to be into Visual Kei/Gothic Lolita type stuffs. But you know, it's irrelevant to give much of a crap to them since they must just be small minded and uncreative to throw out such insults anyway. Ignorance is the best weapon in this case + headphones even though it definitely is scary and you hear all the horror stories. ^^

I wish they'd bugger off though, it's incredibly lame people are still doing that now. :/

I do wonder if these fools that shout things out are somehow subconsciously jealous in some complex way actually. o_O

But anyway, good luck and wear your adorable frills & lace with pride. Very brave of you also. :p
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:58

Maybe a little.
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:02
Banned

Mood
Goofy

^^^^ Like the look of Lolita clothing if you google as images Lolita clothing like the 5th dress along, Burgundy & cream one
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:18
Banned

Mood
Elated

^ Yeah Lolita is really nice, expensive though but if you get into the hang of modifying cheap clothes from like Primark if you're into sewing or anything it's actually really fun when you make something quite nice.

It's kinda harping back to the 16th Century when people were peacocks and they dressed to impress in a way as some of it is like that and a bit victorian-esque, and then jazzed up with cute Japanese stuff and more. Quite complex to explain, basically, it's all really fancy and cute.
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:34
Banned

Mood
Goofy

Have you made much? You will have to put pix on
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:10
Banned

Mood
Elated

Haven't really made too much apart from putting a bit of lace on jackets, sticking sequins to things, adding more fabric to dresses so they go all ridged and stuff like that really. I mostly make accessories with clay, stick it in the oven and paint it/add too much glitter to stuff.
Oh god I love glitter fabric paint, it's so fun.
I've been in love with those new pink tops in Tesco they have recently where they're all shiny and sparkly but soft and wooly. *-*

But yeah I can try to dig up some pics. :p
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:17

Mood
Sweettooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe27
Isn't Lincoln much the same though? I always felt it was.
Nowhere near as bad as where I used to live. I've actually gotten worse from living in a tiny town than I've had so far for living in a small city inhabited by mostly students (during term time anyway).

Also, Lolita clothing is ridiculously expensive a lot of the time (especially from the big brands like Angelic Pretty or Baby the Stars Shine Bright), I'm usually the same as Faewen where I'll just buy items that suit the aesthetic from Primark, or look for second-hand/off-brand items which are usually a bit cheaper.
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrelsgomoo
Nowhere near as bad as where I used to live. I've actually gotten worse from living in a tiny town than I've had so far for living in a small city inhabited by mostly students (during term time anyway).
I love Lincoln as a city, it's very beautiful. I was at college there for 2 years. Maybe I just never bumped into the right people still spend out of term time in Newark (1/2 hour away) now there's a place you don't want to stand out from the crowd! I used to get hammered about being a guy with long hair.

Where are you from originally?
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:48
Banned

Mood
Elated

^ I totally used to dress like a scruff/lay about when I would be going through a rough area just for safety and have all nice clothes in my bag and got changed in the toilets back when I was at college. It's really scary how bad people can be about it, if someone wants to know a horror story there's always Sophie Lancaster and the campaign her mums doing. My friend who I used to go to college with was a bloke and had long hair, we'd meet and he'd have to stuff it all in a hat on the way there. -_-

Pretty ridiculous they even do it to cute stuff as well now. Le sigh.

Really doesn't help SA though, proper knocks your confidence if someone says something really harsh. :/
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:09

^ I can still remember the Sophie Lancaster murder, horrible

How ridiculous that you had to change your clothes in the toilets

In some ways the worse people have been to me the more it makes me determined not to conform to someone else's idea of what I should look like.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:04

Mood
Torn

It's different for everyone - some people do it because they lack confidence and some people do it to show off. Me - personally I'm anxious and scared in everything I wear and I cover the clothes I am wearing.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetmenot
I was once stood at a bus stop and saw a girl walking passed. She had something about her. She was dressed really stylish and had a lovely hair style. As she walked passed she smelt lovely and i turned to watch her walk away and i remember thinking "I want to be like that".
I try and rationalise away their success by telling myself that they're obviously a professional puppy drowner or somesuch i.e deeply horrible in some concealed way...

I'd like to wear nice clothes but nothing fits my shape properly so they stay in the wardrobe because I imagine I look silly so then I feel worse. I end up wearing things that I've defeated through countless wash cycles instead.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:21

Mood
Insomnious

if it wasnt for clothes id be naked..... so yes clothes do stop people laughing at my little dinky lol