SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th May 2022, 06:03

Default Forgettable/invisible?

This term forgettable was mentioned to me recently in terms of my birthday when my colleagues never remembered mine but on my birthday they remembered that a colleague’s was coming up and even proceeded to buy a cake. You’re just a forgettable person. It’s made me think about social anxiety, I’ve always had social anxiety and always been an introvert, a combination probably that would make one a “forgettable” person. No where is it more noticeable than in the work place where the outgoing loud mouths gain promotions and the quiet types get no where. You’re only noticed when you leave and it becomes apparent that the loud mouths talk a good game but aren’t actually doing anything and the quiet guy it the one keeping the place going. If I look at life in general I am a forgettable person, we’d like to think in general people will remember us for something or like us but sadly I don’t think that is the case. The birthday situation mentioned previously really stung, but it’s an improvement on last year when a similar thing happened and my wife landed into work with a cake for me complete with candles lit 🫣. Are we forgettable/invisible?
Old 26th May 2022, 09:23

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: Forgettable/invisible?

I wondered if you were the wife/cake guy when I started reading this.

Seems a bit mean of them to plan someone else's birthday on your birthday.
Old 26th May 2022, 12:06

Quote:
It's like trying to remember a story of a film if no one had bothered to turn the sound on.
A good analogy, Nanuq.
Old 26th May 2022, 17:07

I feel the complete opposite, but not in a good way. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb, and I have a reputation as one of the local oddballs. I feel like I get a lot of negative attention everywhere I go. People always remember me because I'm such a freak.

I would absolutely love to be forgettable and invisible. I'd like nothing more than to be anonymous and blend into a crowd.
Old 26th May 2022, 18:32

Well I think I definitely make an impact on people, but a negative one. If it was my birthday I think they would actively avoid acknowledging it rather than forgetting it.

I tend to build negative relationships with others rather than not building them at all, which is why I think I'd rather be more forgettable.

I never mention my birthday to others and wouldn't be offended if anyone failed to acknowledge it. Especially at work, it's just like any other day to me and I'd be shocked if I was given a card or anything like that. I'm not in any way jealous of those who do get that sort of positive attention. Fair play to them they probably deserve it more.
Old 26th May 2022, 18:52

What! They actually said that you’re forgettable? What a charmer!
Old 26th May 2022, 19:03

That is very harsh if they actually said that. That's the worst kind of horrible passive aggressive thing to say to someone.
Old 26th May 2022, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
What! They actually said that you’re forgettable? What a charmer!
That’s just an opinion though. Hurtful one I would hate to be told this as it would upset me and make me angry but then peoples opinions are not facts.
Old 26th May 2022, 23:24

^ it's such a weird opinion to voice to another person, isn't it!

"You're forgettable"

I'd be like, "try and forget this!" and then do a massive fart. (If I could fart on demand.)
Old 26th May 2022, 23:32

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alone.
That’s just an opinion though. Hurtful one I would hate to be told this as it would upset me and make me angry but then peoples opinions are not facts.
That's very true. And actually if someone was that bothered enough to make that comment then they probably don't actually find the person forgettable!
Old 26th May 2022, 23:58

Your comment is comforting Nanaq though it makes me feel like maybe I am in the wrong workplace environment.
Old 28th May 2022, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by The*Crafty*Elf
and ex-lax the smug tw@t
What does "ex-lax" mean?
Old 30th May 2022, 18:42
Banned at own request

I've been told in the past I'm very boring and that not many people would remember me from a crowd which is true I guess, I don't even like myself really.
Old 3rd June 2022, 15:43

Mood
Bored

When walking down a busy area why do people walk straight at me and expect me to move out of their way!