SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd June 2022, 16:03

Default SA paradox

Out in the sun yesterday in a fairly full-on flowery t-shirt. It occurred to me afterwards.. among the circle of other 50 year old fellas that I know I can't imagine many of them wearing a similar t-shirt. I mean they might if it were a BBQ or something (and to be fair that's the sort of atmosphere that was generally in the air yesterday) but I'd happily be wearing it to the pub on a Friday night or or in Tescos or whatever. Yet I absolutely hate birthdays cos of the 'centre of attention' thing. I mean it wasn't that out there as a t-shirt lol but it did make me think afterwards there was a bit of a paradox.

Anyone here got blue hair or anything? Pretty sure I've not got it in me to go for that lol
Old 4th June 2022, 16:22

Default Re: SA paradox

My hair is a very boring dark shade of brown, but I do have several floral shirts that I wear - proper gaudy 1960's style affairs that most people wouldn't be seen dead in. I don't feel at all self-conscious in them, although it probably does make me stand out a bit and I must look very uncool. Nobody ever really comments on them, apart from the occasional "nice shirt", which I assume is mostly sarcastic.

It probably is quite unusual but I don't feel like it makes me the centre of attention. I feel comfortable dressing like that. I think I'd feel a lot more self-conscious if I dressed in a more fashionable way, although I have no idea what actually is fashionable. Most people I meet in my age group dress like they've dived head first into a Sports Direct bargain bin, but that doesn't appeal to me at all even if it would help me blend in more.

I suppose some people would be very apprehensive of dressing in an unconvential manner that might get them noticed. Although I think I'm pretty conventional, just very uncool. A lot of people probably dress a certain way to impress so are quite self-conscious about coming across a certain way. That doesn't really concern me.
Old 4th June 2022, 17:41

Mood
Sweettooth

I used to have blue hair when my SA was much worse about 6 or 7 years ago (you can see the colour in my profile pic) and shaved the side of my head. I've since gone through just about every colour and different styles etc. I liked that if people were staring it was at something within my control.

I also dress a bit bonkers in alt fashion with mini skirts, crop tops, fishnets etc which a lot of people (especially plus size like me) might not be comfy wearing. It doesn't bother me much, I dress in what I like though I've had people surprised when I open my mouth and am quiet.

I say go for clothes that make you feel good
Old 4th June 2022, 20:56

Mood
Sweettooth

^ fishnet squad?!
Old 4th June 2022, 21:21

^^ Do you have any old piccies you care to share TD,P?

As humans still tend to judge a book by it's cover when it comes to an individuals chosen attire I'm guessing that when a shy person dresses flamboyantly it's to perhaps give off a 'I feel confident in myself' vibe? I know shy actors and pop singers like to hide behind the character that they play so perhaps in a similar way someone who has lots of piercings and tattoos, green hair and/or flamboyant clothes feel that if people are observing the over the top image presented to them they are much less likely to notice the shy person beneath. Or perhaps I'm talking rubbish here!

When I've met very shy people it sometimes struck me how confident and comfortable in their own skin some of them appeared NOT because they were loud and gregarious but because of the clothes they were wearing. As Hollie mentioned, it can be quite surprising when someone with bright blue hair reveals that they are introverted, shy and dislike being the centre of attention.

I've read that Lady GaGa and Johnny Depp are quite introverted shy characters but you probably wouldn't guess this from the flamboyant and quirky way they both frequently dress even when they aren't performing in front of the cameras.

Maybe, anewyear, you enjoy wearing your bright flowery shirt because it makes you feel more confident and act more confident....or maybe, you simply like flowery shirts

I'll shut up now and stop rambling.
Old 4th June 2022, 21:41

Mood
Sweettooth

^ yes exactly I've heard some call it 'peacocking', putting on a flamboyant exterior to hide behind it can be nice to express yourself visually and let your appearance do the talking in a way.