SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st May 2012, 19:12

Mood
Melancholy

Question Am I the only one who's never had a job?

Sorry if this has come up tons of times before, but I feel it'd probably be more annoying to revive an old thread than start a new one...!

I'm 24 and I've never had a job... or not a Proper Job anyway. I work from home on creative projects, alone, which I've made money from (and a modicum of renown in the specific field too, interestingly), but I've never done the whole applying/interviews/CVs etc stuff and wouldn't even know HOW to do that; it's all so alien to me! And terrifying! I couldn't cope!

It feels like at this age, with zero work experience, I'd struggle to get a job even if I wanted one, and this worries me since everyone else here seems to speak about their jobs and stuff as if they're just a normal part of life... Like everyone's in the same kind of position and I'm just... not.

So is there anyone else at all here who's never had a job for social anxiety reasons rather than, uh, you know... the reasons that chavvy people don't have jobs? Uh. o_O
Old 21st May 2012, 19:17

Mood
Chatty

Cool Re: Am I the only one who's never had a job?

Hmmm, almost. At 37 I have only had one job and it didn't last that long.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:18

Mood
Chatty

Default Re: Am I the only one who's never had a job?

What did you do from home, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 21st May 2012, 19:22

Mood
Melancholy

I apparently make computer games! Or 'Flash games' specifically; the sort you play in web browsers and which are usually free to play.

I started doing it for fun in my teens, and eventually ended up getting money for it (though not like a regular wage or anything), which was great... though it means that what was once my hobby is now my work, so even though I don't have 'a job' in the usual sense of the word, it seems like I spend most of my time working anyway!
Old 21st May 2012, 20:25

please can you post a few links to the best web games you made?

you could always do voluntary work to get some experience and you could always put the internet games paid work on your cv.

tim
Old 21st May 2012, 20:35

Mood
Melancholy

My most successful games have been the 'MARDEK RPG' series, which are immersive console-style role-playing games similar to the Final Fantasies for the SNES, and all three currently released chapters together will take up many days of your time if you get into them... So, uh, they're not casual games that you can pick up and play for a moment or anything like that! Just to warn you!

Here are some links:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Pseu...-rpg-chapter-1
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Pseu...-rpg-chapter-2
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Pseu...-rpg-chapter-3

I also made another silly game, a platformer, which wasn't nearly as successful, but it amuses me anyway and isn't nearly as long as the RPGs:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Pseu...ces-big-chance

I've started making a bunch of other games, but I have a terrible habit of never finishing anything. Oh well. I'm nearing the end of development of another one at the moment; a monster-catching game similar to Pokemon.

I'm not overly interested in getting a Proper Job at this point, actually... I mean, at the moment I'm content just working on my games at home; it just bothers me that I seem to be the only one who's never been employed so it makes me feel left out anyway, or something? Like everyone's in the same sphere of experience while I'm left out and can't relate...

If I ever DID try to get a job, though, I'd definitely mention my games... I've also made websites, so I'd mention those too.
Old 21st May 2012, 20:38
Banned

Fairly similar here. Its annoying when so many jobs ask for experience and references but theres not really anything you can do about that.

I think the fact you've been making a bit of money yourself should really help though when it comes to inverviews.
Old 21st May 2012, 21:06

Hi Pseudolonewolf, I'm 40 and have never had a job and I very much doubt if I ever will. It's got a bit easier for me as I've got older as people seem to have accepted that I'm a bit reclusive and eccentric and have given up trying to change me. It was a lot worse in my 20s when most of my relatives kept hassling me about it. I have bad s.a. plus a naturally very introverted personality so I like being a 'woman of leisure'- most jobs are not very kind to s.a. people as far as I've heard so I feel pretty lucky to have made it this far without having one.
Old 21st May 2012, 21:23

Mood
Melancholy

I'd very much like to go that long without ever having a proper job myself! It's not that I don't want to work; I just don't like all the *social* aspects of it...

The thing I'd worry most about is money, though... How did you cope with that aspect of not having a job?
Old 21st May 2012, 21:34

Mood
Alienated

aye the problems the money aint it

i dont actually "want" a job at all...the office politics and bullshit just drove me up the wall

i got my first job at the age of ..well i was nearly 25 (last year) it lasted 8 months ..it was crap , trying to do my own business from home at the moment but its all rather daunting..if you have a quiet month or two while theres still bills to pay
Old 21st May 2012, 21:45

I don't know whether this would be a better fit for your other thread PseudoLoneWolf, as you mentioned volunteering there, but have you ever considered combining volunteering with your obvious computer skills? I think a initiative like this could do very well with your help:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/deta...id=4&v=1815200

I know what you may be thinking. Teaching...people. Ahh! However, without wanting to sound completely patronizing, it is old people you'll be communicating with. I can't recall if you mentioned it in your other thread, but I've read a lot of other people on here say how they find it easier to interact with older people, as opposed to those closer to their own age.

Knowing you are good at what you do should give you some confidence. I can understand if you were throwing yourself into some random gardening volunteering project, but computers seem to be your niche. And in helping others learn how to use, what could turn out to be some vital online services at their age, you could gain even more confidence. Think of it as a positive circle, instead of a vicious one, perhaps?
Old 21st May 2012, 21:52

Yep, the lack of money is quite problemmatic. I've been on incapacity benefit for ages but it's almost a full time job proving that you're actually ill/anxious enough not to work since they have recently made it pretty much impossible to claim incapacity benefit/ESA for mental health/anxiety problems without a massive palaver with an appeal at a tribunal. So there's no easy way unfortunately.
Old 21st May 2012, 22:31

Mood
Melancholy

Unfortunately, I don't think that link works! D:

I've never even looked on one of those job seeking sites or anything before, or taken the first steps towards looking for jobs... which shows how eager I am to get into the whole thing!

But HMM... I suppose older people scare me a bit less than younger people, but the main reason I'd want to do work at all - apart from the money - would be to *meet* people.
I mean, I don't know anyone at all at the moment... and I'd hope that doing a job in the real world would get me acquainted with people my own age, with similar interests ideally, who I could go out and do stuff with and invite to my house, things like that. Friends.
Working with people older than myself, without even making money from it, seems like it'd be of no benefit to me beyond perhaps getting me used to being out of the house, getting working experience... While I might be *friendly* with such people, I'd probably not want to invite them around to my house to play video games with me!

I also feel that while I can program games and make websites, my knowledge of general computer stuff is rather lacking! o_O
Like I'm no good at 'general IT stuff'... and I'd struggle as much as the older people when it came to stuff like using Facebook or eBay!
I suppose I know the basics of computer use, but I don't know how I'd feel about teaching them!

Anyway, that's an interesting suggestion, and I might at least consider similar things, so thanks for that and stuff!
I just wish I could find an area that would let me meet similar minds without all the stresses of normal jobs... And which would give sufficient payment. But I suppose there's no such thing!

Also, I'd be terrified to apply for these benefit things since I don't understand the first thing about them...!
I've also never actually been officially diagnosed with Social Anxiety... because I've always been too scared to see a doctor about it!
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:14

I've only had 2 proper jobs I guess, although one was a christmas job and the one i'm at now and have been a few years is just part time so not much money at all. I HATE it. I'd love a proper job but I don't seem to have any skills, and I have a terrible memory so take a while to pick stuff up so its even scarier trying to learn things in a new job.

I'd be quite happy with a crappy office job, whatever those jobs ARE or what people do, or how to get one i have no idea. I hate having to deal with customers and I have no prospects. so YAY, random rant.
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:33

Mood
Worried

Hi Pseudolonewolf,

I briefly played your flash game last night and I must say it is very good, did you develop it all yourself or did you just work on the coding aspect?

Someone with your skill in understanding computer language a skill that I wished I could have myself but unfortunately my brain cannot work it out at all so I cannot pursue something like this myself but I think you shouldn't aim for a "normal" job such as one like an office which is what i work in. I say shouldn't because if making the game was something you really liked and it brought you alot of satisfaction then i urge you to develop that skill further.

You can earn alot out of the gaming industry if you are good at it / work with a studio etc.

Don't aim below for yourself Pseudolonewolf.... you have a gift there (gift is being able to understand computer language). Develop it further become that much better, you are in a incredible position there!!

I would sell my soul to have your knowledge on the subject... lol

Wish you all the best on your future projects / sites.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:00

Mood
Melancholy

I did apparently make everything in those games myself... I've taught myself how to program, draw, compose music, write (if the dialogue could be called 'writing'!), and everything else; the only things that I didn't make in the games were the sound effects (at least in MARDEK; I made the sound effects in Clarence's Big Chance).

I do feel that I would like a future that focuses on these skills! But I'd rather work alone; I mean, I learned to do everything myself so then I wouldn't need to work in a team, as I'd fear being a disappointment or just DYING from the pressure or expectations or things like that!

I'm trying to pursue a solo games development 'career' and I know it's possible because others have done it too...
Though it does feel like I 'don't have a job' still, like I'm just doing a hobby, and it makes me feel like I lack the same kinds of *experiences* that other people have. Like if a group of people got together to moan about how hard and annoying their jobs were, I'd just feel like I 'wasn't part of that world'... or something like that?

I'm also scared of where this might lead, like having to contact people to get money, so... I don't know...

Anyway, thanks for having a look at my game things, and it's nice to know they're not rubbish, or something!
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:27

Mood
Worried

Hi Pseudolonewolf,

I did come across a game on steam last year that I purchased and I liked it so much I checked the credits and i was shocked the whole game was developed by 1 person!!

I am presuming this guy works from home and he did confirm on the Steam forums that he made enough from that 1 game to be "reasonably" comfortable and that he is working on a new project now.

The game was called swarm arena, im not sure im allowed to link you on this forum but if you google it it will come up.

I also own a few other indie games developed by very small teams of people from 2 people teams to a small handful etc, there is a huge interest in "indie" games, i really like these games myself because they make some unique / innovating games .

The best job to have is not a job.. but a hobby that also earns you money, that is the perfect dream scenario alot of people wish for, including me. Imagine not having to travel to a job during the rush hours etc and all the stress that brings that im /we all too familiar with, imagine not having to push yourself up out of bed early everyday to get to this job. I could go on and on but i won't...

With a hobby that also earns you money, you set your own pace / timetables and when you get THAT good at it (when you start getting lots of money from the projects that are really successful etc), you will be in a position to choose for the day whether you work or not etc, having that type of potential freedom in the future is incredibly exciting, you will literally be in so much control over your life and how you choose to live it will get incredibly exciting, that is one of the ultimate life experiences to live I believe is to get paid for what you really like or even love to do.

It would be the equivalent of me getting paid to sleep, because i love sleeping lol XD.

Don't be scared of where it may lead, just decide on things when the times comes do what feels best for you.

You have the power there to set yourself up an incredible life, GO for it!!!

I believe in your ability and as long as you really believe it aswell, nothing can go wrong.

Kind Regards,
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:39

Mood
Melancholy

Hmm... I suppose it's rather motivating to see my situation through the eyes of another, to see what I have and take for granted but should be grateful of!

There are nice things to setting your own hours and stuff... but it also means that you can really lag behind and not get enough done because it's so easy to just decide not to work sometimes. With no boss ordering you around, it's easy to have no motivation.

And importantly, I never get out of the house at all... Sometimes I wish I had to go *somewhere* every day where I could meet other people, even though that thought also terrifies me!

It's also really hard to find people who you can relate to, see eye to eye with, when you're in an unusual position like this...

I got into the position I'm in through many, many, many long hours sitting in front of a computer teaching myself stuff at the expense of, well, everything else, but if I could do it, I feel that anyone could if they really put their minds to it!

I'd like to get my games on Steam, and will be trying with one of my next ones! I don't know if they're good enough, but if they are and sell well, that'll be amazing, I suppose!
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:27

No I've never had a job.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:37

Mood
Worried

Hi Pseudolonewolf,

Yea I can imagine that teaching yourself that and not having much interaction elsewhere is the downside of what you have been doing but on the otherside the SA made you focus enough to be able to learn it all.

I can only imagine if you tell people what you do some of those people would get jealous and immediately not like you so much? Just guessing really but i can imagine what some people would be like.

Im really not sure what to suggest in regards to social interaction stuff / getting out the house etc, maybe find a hobby / sport club or something? But i know its difficult and i cannot suggest anything else really.

Hope you are able to figure something out