SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd December 2006, 07:09

Mood
Sleepy

Default Too much time in my own mind

I have been thinking that i might be soending too much time inside my own mind. When walking to this work this morning i went through so many emotions. I started off tired, then i got sad ..then i was happy then out of the blue i was angry then dissapointed . Is this normal human behaviour?

I spend an aweful lot of time thinking to myself, Even when i am online 90% of the time i am just sat there thinking. This cuases me to spiral to completely daft conclusions about things and from these conclusions i genrate alot of my moods. This aswell is probably why i feel so lonely all the time. Its like i am locked in my own brain.

The problem is that it is quite absessive and addictive and if i dont worry and over think then it feels like i am doing something wrong, that i am missing something. Maybe my worry is a OCD. I feel i have to worry over things for them to get better or to get the out come that i want.

Does anyone else know what i am on about?
Old 3rd December 2006, 11:31

Default Re: Too much time in my own mind

I am like this as well, I think us SA sufferers are a victim of our own brilliant minds. If all this deep thought , intense brain activity and nervous energy could be channeled into something positive who knows what we could achieve. Some people don't think much about anything and seem as happy as larry. I could be wrong, its just a thought. One of many
Old 3rd December 2006, 12:11

Thumbs down Re: Too much time in my own mind

Freespirit, I know what you mean and I think these thoughts are probably caused by anxiety because it makes you feel insecure and then you start doubting yourself. The best thing is probably to keep busy and try new things which you can focus on rather than focussing on yourself too much when you are not busy. Also, when you are talking to someone it is probably a good idea to try and focus more on what they are saying than on yourself (because you are overly self-conscious) and also to be aware that your anxiety is mostly irrational.

I think you are right that these thoughts and worries are one of the symptoms of OCD because I overthink as well and I have OCD. I think they would come under the checking component of OCD because the thoughts are a way of checking that things turn out right for you but the problem is they are way over the top and you often go over things again and again. Do you have other symptoms of OCD as well. I do several other things like wash my hands too much and check lights are off several times, etc.
Old 3rd December 2006, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSpark
I am like this as well, I think us SA sufferers are a victim of our own brilliant minds. If all this deep thought , intense brain activity and nervous energy could be channeled into something positive who knows what we could achieve. Some people don't think much about anything and seem as happy as larry. I could be wrong, its just a thought. One of many
a lot of the stuff we think is utter crap though, and very damaging. having a lot of thoughts does not necessarily make those thoughts worth much. we should not romanticise these things, it goes some way towards encouraging people to be comfortable in their ruts.
Old 3rd December 2006, 12:26

I don't engage my brain much thankfully. Helps keep me relatively sane.
Old 3rd December 2006, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardcreams
a lot of the stuff we think is utter crap though, and very damaging. having a lot of thoughts does not necessarily make those thoughts worth much. we should not romanticise these things, it goes some way towards encouraging people to be comfortable in their ruts.
I agree mate, please ignore more previous post
It was just thoughtless waffle. Our thoughts are obviously a very important part of how we feel about our self. This is why I believe Cognitive behavioral therapy to be the best treatment for these problems.
Old 3rd December 2006, 16:55

Mood
Angelic

Because I spend too much time living inside my head
Worrying too much about what the other man said
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:06

I think I'm very hyper-aware of everything. I sometimes feel these huge swells of happiness and love for such silly shite, like if I stand standing in the doorway looking into my tiny backyard and feeling the sharpness of the air, and hearing the rustling of small birds and the sounds of the garage behind the house, and just smelling the damp plants and the smoke in the air. I could spend a whole day just standing, noticing and thinking.

The downside, though, is that I'm also hyper-aware of myself and how I fit into things. I concentrate too much on what I say and it makes my speech mumbled and stilted, or I focus on all the possible thoughts people might be having about me.

So it is like being a passenger inside my own head, so much so that having to interact with the rest of the world feels almost like having to control a very convincing puppet from the inside.

I also lie awake at night just thinking sometimes. Not necessarily worrying, but thinking about everything. I can lie in bed for five hours just thinking about the book I read to help me get to sleep.
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:24

Yeah, the more I think, the worse I feel; it's like if I have one spare moment to think, it's all negative stuff. It's such a drag & I'm trying so hard to redirect my thoughts to being more positive. Not easy though. That's why I am constantly bombarding my brain with other things like reading, watching films, internet, and so on. At work I can only bombard my brain with boring crap stuff which is why I'm miserable at work Bit of a bummer.
I find the best way to cope when I'm depressed is the distraction method, but that only works so far, other times I have to just take a sleeping pill & knock myself out and sleep for 10 hours or more. It's pretty shite being in my brain most of the time. My journeys to/from work are the worse, though, that's when my thoughts tend to be absolutely black & I can't distract myself from them either.
That's why I enjoy life so much more when I get one of my 'flutter' things where I fall for someone really badly, because then I can't think of anything else and walk around with a big smile all day like a loony.
Closed Thread