SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th November 2017, 11:08

Mood
Bashful

Default I want to move to Belfast to be with my lover

I am from England near Liverpool to be precise but I have nothing keeping me here, no family, no job, live in a ymca hostel and someone who likes me and I like them a lot said why don't I move to Belfast with them. I have know them a long time. How easy would this be?
Old 19th November 2017, 14:28

Default Re: I want to move to Belfast to be with my lover

If I am honest you haven't really got any reason to stay living near Liverpool. Would the council in Belfast be able to sort you out with some temporary accommodation?

How well do you know your friend, it would be a lot of pressure to live together if you don't know each other very well.
Old 19th November 2017, 18:38

I would say, if you have nothing keeping you where you live, why stay? BUT if you’re moving to Belfast, don’t place all your aspirations into this person you like. Move their independently, find somewhere to stay, try getting a job and see how things go with you and this person. Then if something goes left, you won’t be completely stuck in a new city with nowhere to stay. All I’m saying is, don’t place everything into this one person, move for you, not them!

PS, I’m from Belfast, it’s great here (most of the time without the sectarian issues lol). I highly recommend it!
Old 19th November 2017, 21:31

Mood
Bashful

Well I literally have nothing going for me here. I did mention alcohol you're right because I'm a chronic alcohol and this lad (I am bisexual don't skit me for it) partly wants me to move there to "save" me. He's originally from England too, but he's not a crank he's doing a PhD in sociology there. I would move but as someone said the accommodation is an issue and I don't know how things like that work. Evaluate im hire thick at stuff like that but what do you think if I go to ymca in Belfast and say I'm from England and I have no where to stay?
Old 20th November 2017, 08:34

As you put it if he wants to save you, shouldn't he come and visit you in England.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:41

I agree with Vaxjo and newbs.

Personally I don***8217;t believe anyone (especially someone you***8217;ve never met) is equipped to ***8216;save***8217; another person with mental heath issues - change has to come from within yourself - although that***8217;s not to say that receiving the support of a close friend isn't such a bad thing to have.
However, as Vaxjo said, it sounds like you already have quite a few friends where you are living now, folk that possibly know about you and your issues in more detail than the Belfast guy that you***8217;ve never met. If you do go, then i think it***8217;s important that you make sure you have somewhere secure to live and if it doesn***8217;t work out you haven***8217;t burned all your bridges in Liverpool and can easily return.

Good luck
Old 20th November 2017, 14:08

You don’t need to be saved. Having issues with alcohol, is just that, an issue. It doesn’t make you who you are and you aren’t something that needs to be fixed. Maybe visit him in Belfast for a weekend and see how things go before moving there with no backup plan? I agree with Muggins, look into getting stable accommodation, see if it’s possible to relocate to the hostel in Belfast etc before making any rash decisions, especially based on one person. Never rely on somebody else for your own happiness that’s what i say!
Old 20th November 2017, 22:56

Mood
Pensive

You'd definitely be better away from the ym, my youngest son dropped off a lad he was working with and the people there were confrontational to him. I've also seen people coming out so drunk or drugged they could barely stand.
It's not the best place for someone who wants to get away from that lifestyle.