SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st February 2023, 10:05

Default Public speaking

Hello,

My name is Alex and I've just joined SAUK. I've had social anxiety since approximately becoming a teenager. I really struggle when the attention is on me, particularly speaking in front of people. This has held me back in my career and with my relationships. I would really like to overcome this. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding this.
I was thinking about getting some people together who have social anxiety and want to practise public speaking, maybe you write a speech about soemthing you are passionate about and practise in front of people who also struggle with a similar thing. If anyone would be interested in this please let me know.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 2nd February 2023, 16:44

Default Re: Public speaking

Welcome Alex. Yeah I also hate public speaking. Lord knows how anyone relishes the chance to stand up in front of a crowd and have all eyes on them!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 2nd February 2023, 17:58

^ I thought toastmasters might be for people who excel at making toast. I'd rock up with a loaf of bread.

I'm okay at public speaking if I know what I'm talking about and have mentally prepared it and imagined it. A bit like how gymnasts usual visualisation. Visualisation and rehearsal really helps me. I also prefer not knowing the people I'm talking to because I can't imagine their thoughts.

I automatically become the spokesperson in groups like on courses because I feel bad for everyone else who doesn't want to do it. Also I just want my turn out of the way quickly so I don't have to sit their building up adrenaline.

Maybe this could work as a zoom group if you struggle to get people together in person? With a view to meeting up? Baby steps and all that.

Also welcome to the forum
Old 3rd February 2023, 22:47

^ I'm actually similar to that in some ways. I'd be fine being the spokesperson for a group knowing there's backup behind me. My nightmare would be something like the Best Man speech at a wedding
Old 4th February 2023, 20:27

Mood
Breezy

Welcome to the forum Alex
Old 23rd April 2023, 19:15

Hi Nanuq

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Nanuq, do you know which social anxiety support groups specifically would do that because I've not had much luck finding any?

Thanks!
Old 26th November 2023, 22:30

School of connection do a good course. Bit pricey but kinda of exactly what you are talking about.