SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th June 2007, 22:31

Default Big Brother thread

Much easier if we have one Big Brother thread for talking about any events going on in the house.
Old 7th June 2007, 22:44
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Big Brother thread

Ha, no! I just realized I hadn't actually been paying attention to the program. In other words, she's already said it...
Old 7th June 2007, 23:07

Poor Emily
Old 7th June 2007, 23:10
Administrator

Mood
Tired

For someone who said she'd give herself 10/10 for intelligence, she's actually pretty dim, IMHO.
Old 7th June 2007, 23:17

Do feel a bit sorry for her. Stupid for saying it though. Charlie couldn't stop talking about it and told shabnam she thought she'd be safe because of what emily said, thought that was a bad of her.

Channel 4. Unless they decided not to broadcast any of it probably couldn't leave her in the house. They do seem to be milking it a bit though, having the debate after the show on channel 4 etc
Old 7th June 2007, 23:28

Mood
Spooky

Silly woman, I don't believe she was trying to be offensive though, she was trying to be cool. :rolleyes: C4 had no choice but to give her the boot though.

People are saying Charley was hurt, I don't believe that, she saw an opportunity to stir, and did so repeatedly through the day. I hope this blows over quickly and doesn't take over the rest of the show.
Old 7th June 2007, 23:46

Two men to enter the house tommorow. An end to the sixth form girls environment hopefully.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:48

She's no racist. She was just flippantly using the term 'n***er' in a playful, 'wiggerish' way. Something I'd even do. Though Big Brother's hands are tied from the last series, and so allowing racism to continue like before would cause the same amount of outrage as before.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:00

What sort of men do we want to see entering tomorrow?

I'd like to see another black Victor type character, and a gay Marco type character.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:06

Would be funny if it was a gay couple
Old 8th June 2007, 13:15

I felt sorry for Emily being taken into the diary room half asleep at 3.30 and kicked out in her yellow nightie!

I cant believe she had to leave over what was a silly comment, i feel she is just being made an example of by big brother to show they don't tolerate any comments that could be identified as being racist because they don't want another episode like that of celebrity big brother.

What i find annoying is the current climate we seem to live in when anything said about a persons colour of skin is ultimately deemed racist behavior and what ensues is often the character assassination of the person who isn't racist at all just stupid for not thinking about what they were saying in the first place.

Old 8th June 2007, 13:23

I agree that I don't think Emily ment anything bad by the comment and she was just messing about in an what she thought inoffensive way.

But I think evicting her is the right thing to do, otherwise it'd just get channel 4 into more **** and it would've just created another big **** storm.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:42

Mood
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross PK
What sort of men do we want to see entering tomorrow?

I'd like to see another black Victor type character, and a gay Marco type character.
Victor was a prat, but his diary room moments were gold

I'm happy with any guys going in, as long as they are not Ziggy types.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherben
I felt sorry for Emily being taken into the diary room half asleep at 3.30 and kicked out in her yellow nightie!
I felt sorry for her when she said she didn't have any underwear on.

But did you notice she only apologised once she realised she was being kicked out of the house. She didn't say sorry at all until they told her she was being removed.

They had no choice but to kick her out. Using that word is not just making a comment about a skin colour. I agree she wasn't meaning to offend or saying it maliciously, but to aim that word at a black person you have to be damn sure they won't be offended and also that anyone who hears it won't be either. It has too many racist connotations
Old 8th June 2007, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
poor emily. its a shame she got kicked out. what a stupid fuss over nothing , political correctness gone crazy , i bet she wouldve got kicked out if she just called charley 'black' ffs.
and why is it ok for black people to say n****
Political correctness gone crazy to find the n word unacceptable? I noticed that you censored the word yourself just posting on this forum, are you being politically correct? She said it in front of national tv camera's.

I'm surprised that you can't see the difference between a white person calling a black person a n***er and a black person calling another black person a n***er.
Old 8th June 2007, 15:38

I dont have any sympathy for Emily, considering they were clearly told before going into the house this year that racist remarks that may cause offense would not be tolerated , very silly and irresponsible of her , and they all knew it including her.

Dont think they can stress to people in one breath things will not be tolerated then start making allowances ,especially when ignorance and stupidity is the given excuse from someon who normally proclaimed to be so intelligent.

If she had immediately requested that Charlie and her go to the diary room for a private consultation with BB, and profusley apologised all round , with her excuse about it being general terminology ect in an attempt to put it right and to rest strait away i may have had a little sympathy.

( Not that i think it is any good reason or acceptable for forgetting how offensive a word like that can be to others when on national tv after pre warnings and its recent history )

Charlie going around milking it for all it was worth and talking in riddles to stir up i think also gave BB no choice but to kick her out in an attempt to move on before it descended into another major race issue, better they look heavy handed in somes eyes than that mess again.

Will be very interesting to see what kind of guys enter this evening and especially Ziggys response to them, hes starting to irritate me now.
Old 8th June 2007, 16:17

Personally I don't think there's any difference either.
Old 8th June 2007, 16:44

N***er is a derogatory racist term.

When someone of a difference race uses a derogatory racist term towards someone, there is a question of intent and meaning. This question is much less likely to be there when the persons involved are both of the same race.

To think of it another way, a thin person calling someone fat would be different in meaning to a bigger sized person calling someone who was the same size as themselves fat.

The word is used to look down on people. If the person who uses the word can't also be described with the same derogatory word then it can be dodgy ground.

Context and meaning is what makes the difference.
Old 8th June 2007, 17:27

I agree with Black swan.

I think their is a big difference.

As it's creation was designed by white people to be a derogatory term and tool to belittle, and hurt black people becoming the ultimate expression of hate towards them.

I can see where two black people will use the term between themselves as a type of 'kinship' in an attempt to 'reclaim' and undermine the word itself rather than each other , kind of saying we are just us ,one and the same no better or worse than each other.

A white person using it towards a black can never do that having quite the opposite history with the word .

At the very least a white person using it towards a black seems to be totally disregarding the past hate and discrimination the black race faced in some places and over familiarising yourself ( even when not intending to directly insult).

I think a black person saying it to a white is either just the same 'kinship' gesture as saying it to each other, shows they feel comfortable enough with you regardless or plain dont care and are telling you you are no better than them ( depending on how they say it ).

May be not explaining it very well not being black myself , but have read about it as must admit though always fully understood what an derogatory term it is given its history
did not quite understand why it was sometimes used between black people to each other .
Old 8th June 2007, 17:33

The word 'n****r', how you use it, and the intentions behind it are what matters. For a black person to be called a 'n****r' by a white person is usually offensive because of the history behind the word. The word was used, and probably (I'm not great at history) created by white people as a derogatory term to put blacks down; it's a word of black oppression. Of course, if a black and white person are friends, and they facetiously insult each other's race without being offended by it, then the word looses all meaning.

For two black men to call each other 'n****rs' or whatever is no where near as potentially offencive as a white man saying it. I mean, for example, if I was fat and another fat person called me a 'fat bastard', then I wouldn't be offended in the slightest. However, if a skinny person called me a 'fat bastard', then I could, depending on my relationship with them, get offended.

You're both on the same boat, and it's usually just banterish irony when two black guys call each other 'n****rs'. Surely people can understand this?
Old 8th June 2007, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyfingers
I agree with Black swan.

I think their is a big difference.

As it's creation was designed by white people to be a derogatory term and tool to belittle, and hurt black people becoming the ultimate expression of hate towards them.

I can see where two black people will use the term between themselves as a type of 'kinship' in an attempt to 'reclaim' and undermine the word itself rather than each other , kind of saying we are just us ,one and the same no better or worse than each other.

A white person using it towards a black can never do that having quite the opposite history with the word .

At the very least a white person using it towards a black seems to be totally disregarding the past hate and discrimination the black race faced in some places and over familiarising yourself with them ( when not intending to directly insult).

I think a black person saying it to a white is either just the same 'kinship' gesture as saying it to each other, shows they feel comfortable enough with you regardless or plain dont care and are telling you you are no better than them ( depending on how they say it ).

May be not explaining it very well not being black myself , but have read about it as must admit though always fully understood what an derogatory term it is given its history
did not quite understand why it was sometimes used between black people to each other .
Very true.

(I was writing my post as you posted yours, so sorry if anything was repeated in mine).
Old 8th June 2007, 17:42

^^ no probs goddy you explained it much more eloquently, glad im not on the totally wrong track to
Old 8th June 2007, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyfingers
you explained it much more eloquently
Meh, not really.

But good to that I'm not on the wrong tracks also...
Old 8th June 2007, 18:47

Yeah I didn't really like seeing the full words either.
Old 8th June 2007, 20:49
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Charlie is very two faced. Emily did something wrong, fair enough, but I think Charlie is now "milking" it. I hope she gets booted soon.
Old 8th June 2007, 22:36

Mood
Volatile

Who is Ziggy in bed with?
Old 8th June 2007, 22:37

^ Should be Chanelle.
Old 8th June 2007, 22:39

Mood
Volatile